Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 12:48 PM

115 posts, read 228,101 times

Advertisements

Happy to finally figure out how to post!

Totally new here so I will try to be as direct as possible...even though moving is so emotional, haha.

My husband is journeyman-lineman for Southern CA Edison...we live in Orange County. We hate it. Over-crowded. We want a slower paced life in a more natural environment. I've been following threads on cities we like for years and now this month we applied to Boulder, CO, Port Angeles, WA, and Hawaii...Maui Electric.
We didn't think anyone would call...all three called. Maui called last night to set up an interview and now I'm...let's just say on my 3rd cup of coffee just to write this post. We are going to WA this weekend for a Monday interview. But Maui wants to know today or tmrw. if we want to move forward with another interview.
I have just spend the entire night reading threads on Maui.

We have never actually been there, so I know that is a real risk and somewhat crazy.
On the other hand, I feel crazy to turn down an opportunity like this...my hubby would make about $76,000 for us and two kids that I will homeschool. (I'm an English prof.) We are thinking a 3-5 year plan...if we love it, we stay. If we are ready to come back, we come back. (I feel like I'm talking myself into it by the minute.)

The thread by the nurse was an eye opener to say the least...and I have some lingering questions.

The close housing and hearing each other is worrisome to me...I like quiet. I'm guessing that is just in certain areas?
If he takes the job, we will be basically selling almost everything we own...all a bit nerve wracking. But we aren't tied to our materials.
How realistic is it to expect to find a 3 bedroom house rental in a quiet area for $2000 or so month? My husband was hoping to ride his bike to work. But we are discussing the shipping the car idea. Some of the traffic comments have worried me as I HATE the traffic here...one of the reasons I want to leave.

I suppose my biggest fear is that we are being irrational for taking a job in an area we've never been to ever though we imagine it being wonderful. If I ask people here in CA, they will say take it of course. It sounds like a dream to mainlanders. On a side note, we need to make this decision soon...no time to fly out. Feeling excited and scared.
I don't really have anyone to ask here..and trust this forum.
Thanks for your thoughts!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 01:17 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,970,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanove View Post
But Maui wants to know today or tmrw. if we want to move forward with another interview.
Turnover is very high - this isn't like opportunities won't present itself in the future.

Quote:
We are thinking a 3-5 year plan...
I'd think in terms of 1-2 years - most working age transplants don't stay longer than 2 years. You need to be prepared to budget for that.

Quote:
How realistic is it to expect to find a 3 bedroom house rental in a quiet area for $2000 or so month?
There will be a few here and there - but expect them to be small and likely rough around the edges. Check craigslist for what is available.

Quote:
My husband was hoping to ride his bike to work.
That is definitely not realistic - what would he do when it rains - nor would work appreciate coming in as a sweaty mess. A lot of areas of Maui aren't particularly safe to bike.

Quote:
I suppose my biggest fear is that we are being irrational for taking a job in an area we've never been to
You are - there is no need to make such a rash decision.

Quote:
On a side note, we need to make this decision soon...no time to fly out.
Of course you have time to fly out.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:42 PM

Thank you! Well, I suppose I meant no time to fly out before he takes the second interview. We just got off the phone with each other. He is going to take the second interview, telling them today. Perhaps if we have an opportunity next weekend, we could go. I guess I was just thinking of cost. We had to spend about $1200 for this WA trip. So your opinion is valid...we should come before making the final decision. It's so hard to gain perspective. He just spoke with a fellow lineman who worked in Maui before and loved it. It is good to hear outside opinions. Thanks so much. Good to know that he can't bike to work.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:45 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,818,572 times
It would take some sort of special circumstance for me to recommend that a family with two kids move to Hawaii without having at least visited here before. Sorry, your circumstance does not fit the bill. So, my advice is to take Hawaii off of your list and instead save money to come for vacations.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:56 PM

Thank you. I guess it is the mere opportunity that I felt is a special circumstance...that why it feels confusing. We are thinking not many people here get opportunities like this. It seems irrational to yes, but irrational as well to say no to a good job on Maui.
From all my reading on threads, it seems my family would adjust well. Months ago, we were even thinking of living in a trailer and visiting various states while my hubby took contracting positions. We like change and new experiences.
It "sounds" like an experience of a lifetime. We can come back when we are ready. I'm guessing we'll know more after this WA trip. But we are going to go ahead with the interview process...I'm not ready to close the door. The new discussion when my hubby gets home will be visiting next weekend. Thanks so much for your thoughts. It really helps to hear all sides.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:01 PM

337 posts, read 614,636 times
Which area in Maui Electric will your husband be going into? The new guys a lot of times get put into the boiler room out in Maalaea which is a lot of stair climbing/lifting in a very hot environment. Many don't make the cut from that training period. My friend lost almost 40 lbs in a few weeks just from the training (although he was a little out of shape at the start of the job =D, and he's really happy he lost the weight and loves the job btw) Although it depends on your position, another friend of mine never went through that training, and stays in the office. A third friend didn't make it and felt like he was bullied out of the job during training due to personality clashing. Though all jobs will have that experience imho.

Also most fyi MECO employees join the IBEW union so add the union dues to your expenses however minimal. I don't recall which IBEW they are in, but we have 2 different ones on Maui. I think its Local 1260 iirc.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:05 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,818,572 times
You are right, it does "sound" almost like a too-good-dream-come-through. In terms of getting to come to a wonderful place to live, have a job lined up, and a backup plan to return to the mainland, it does sound good.

But, the realities of living in Hawaii can be unexpected, and even more so if you've not even been here before. The "experience of a lifetime" that you see before you could turn out to be a very very expensive experience, one that takes years to recover from. If you have the finances to take a huge hit to your savings, then that adds a layer of cushion should things turn out to be not as you expected.

Perhaps think of it this way, ask yourself:

"We want to take the opportunity to move to Hawaii, and we are willing to set our savings back a large amount of money if things are not as wonderful as expect. But it is worth it for the adventure."

Can you say yes to that? If so, then that opens the door further for you. Once you pass over the "this might end up costing us a lot of money" hurdle, we can move on to discussion about how to help insure that your children end up having a good time here too.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:18 PM

Mitchtempo...it is a journeyman lineman position with IBEW.

Cybercity...these are important questions that I will dig down deep to think about. My husband is easy going. Ready to do either choice. I suspect we sound flighty...but we don't think in terms of "stability". When I think of stability, I think of the main character in American Beauty. Jaded I know...we just seem to be a unique place in our lives at age 40 and 41, no mortgage tying us down, no job tying us down. We are in a month to month lease right now. As I just said to a fellow member:
I'm torn between poor decision making and letting a beautiful opportunity slip away.

I will show my hubby these post when he gets home. My gut is that he will say, yes it is worth the money for the adventure. We both have careers that if we had to start all over again, it's not so bad. Journeyman lineman positions are often open at both electric companies and contracting positions. I have a Masters in English, and can teach anywhere that has a community or state college. Thank you for you realistic engaging posts.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:26 PM

Cybercity...side note. My heart sort of brims at reading "how to help ensure that my kids end up having a good time too." I think it would be better than the cookie cutter life we living now in a suburb. Very sweet that you are thinking of them!

Old 08-15-2013, 02:28 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,970,754 times
Quote:
I'm torn between poor decision making and letting a beautiful opportunity slip away.
I'm struggling with why you think you'd be letting a beautiful opportunity slip away - you've never been here, so what gives you this impression? What about this opportunity seems so "beautiful". It's Maui Electric - jobs come and go all the time. This isn't like being the General Manager at the Four Seasons.

Also, why do you feel so strongly this won't be available in 1 month, 3 months, 1 year from now when you can at least visit the island? This isn't some unique job where only 1 person fills it at a time. There is turnover all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui