Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 01:22 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,562,617 times

Advertisements

I think it's wise you are considering education concerns. That, to me, would be a top consideration. There are lots of info on these City-Data forums on the subject. There are also quite a few threads on newcomers assimilating into local culture that might shed some light on locations.

In my humble opinion, if you're living in a good community, the public elementary schools can be charming. There's usually an abundance of parent involvement in that age group, and many of these schools are well established. It's the middle schools and high schools that you may start to run into more challenges. Once again, it'll also depend what schools you're zoned for.

There is quite an array of private schools. I can speak for Maui and Oahu...There's some wonderful options with Private schools, Parochial Schools or Waldorf Schools that now extend all the way up thru high school. I'm not clear if you were planning on staying 'permanently', but I would seriously factor schooling as a MAJOR priority in your relocation choice.

I read thru your earlier posts rather lightly and I'm not clear if you were planning to seek employment when 'keiki' goes into school. I can tell you there's a multitude of part-time jobs on Maui. I'm guessing part-time status allows employers to avoid having to offer health insurance.

Don't take the 'crap shoot'. You're on the right track doing 'recon',asking questions, gathering information and opinions that will help you form an informed decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 02:07 PM

115 posts, read 227,932 times
Fumbling: My husband has been with Edison for 6 years. Yes, they are an excellent company. Not enough to keep us in CA. We are not living the way we want to live.

Mdand3boys: thanks for the info. on jobs. They are actually still hiring at Maui Electric too. I guess they didn't find anyone yet.

Maywin26: We decided to focus on WA. We have another opportunity in January. But I am determined to visit Maui Hope this thread was some help in your decision making.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:41 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,940,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maywin26 View Post
I also have a five year old to consider and after reading absolutely horrible things about the public schools system (why is this btw anyone have any guesses or solid reasoning/explanations?) I am considering private school or home schooling.
My guess, if you are going to pay teachers in the mid-40's in one of the most expensive states, then overall, you are going to get what you pay for (with exceptions here and there). At the end of the day, you have to pay the bills and the compensation in Hawaii is severely inadequate.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:52 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,844,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maywin26 View Post
Futuremauian you bring up a very good point about the airport. What about outside of Honolulu? Is the traffic bad on the whole island or just near Honolulu? What area of town is a good area to live in? I was looking at Kanohe, but since I don't know the area it's all a crap shoot at this point. One of my husbands supervisors happens to live in Wahiawa and he says he likes it, but overall doesn't care for Oahu as it is too crowded for him. I am looking to spend around 2500 a month
Thanks again everyone.
I wish I could offer some better advice, but I've pretty much stopped going to Oahu, in favor of Maui. Kailua is a very nice area, and would be my choice if I l were to move to Oahu. Unfortunately, it is pretty expensive. Whtviper, PaliPatty and other Oahu residents can probably help you with advice on areas that are good/which to avoid.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:21 PM

426 posts, read 792,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Maywin,
Another thing to consider is that if your husband will be flying regularly to other islands in Polynesia, he will be forced to go through Honolulu Airport. Living on Oahu should reduce his travel time. Even a trip from Kauai to the Big Island requires a stop in Honolulu.
I disagree...or it may only be at certai times of the day but my husband and I went to Maui and Kauai on our honeymoon and flew straight to Kauai. There are daily flights from Maui to other islands.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:26 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,433,178 times
Go for the interview and stick around to check the place out.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:13 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,844,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie2979 View Post
I disagree...or it may only be at certai times of the day but my husband and I went to Maui and Kauai on our honeymoon and flew straight to Kauai. There are daily flights from Maui to other islands.
Other islands in Hawaii, usually. Other islands in Polynesia, no. Try locating a direct flight from Kauai to the Big Island, then get back to me.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:41 PM

9 posts, read 12,342 times
Futuremauian: I am not sure how often that he will need to fly to the Polynesian islands I think just a few times a year. He will need to travel the the Hawaiian Islands quite a bit. He found out that they just take commuter flights between the islands. The fact that you are trying to be helpful and are truthful about what you know and don't is very helpful so not need to apologize. Any and all suggestions is helpful at this point. And I mean anything.
Trinity1111 Thank you for your input as well. When I read in numerous posts that children aren't treated very well in public schools that surprised me, usually at that young of an age most all children are pretty accepting, it's when we are older that we learn to judge and discriminate unfortunately, so thank you for clarifying that point. I suppose I can always pull my six year old (sorry he had a birthday last month and I keep slipping up. ) out of public school and find alternatives. He is reading on the 3rd grade level and I would hate to see him decline academically.
Shanove Washington state has a very low cost of living from what I have heard and it's beautiful there.
Stan4: My husband already has a job there so there isn't an interview. We were waiting for the government to get back up and running and we found out today that he needs to be there by Monday. YIKES![color=Black] I was just looking at the traffic cameras in Kaneohe and there wasn't much to look at. It is 04:30 there and in my experience traffic is usually starting to peak at that point. I think that if we can live in a suburb and don't need to travel into the Honolulu area on a regular basis it should be fine. At leas that is what I am hoping. With my husband being there before me it will be helpful in some regards. He will be able to check out the area, presuming he will have some time on the weekend. It is just going to be very hard for me to get everything done here by myself. Oh well, just one of life's challenges I guess. I really appreciate everyone's input. I will keep reading the forums hope for the best and keep planning. I am hoping that we can get down there within a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui