Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 12:25 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,052,676 times

Advertisements

Another +1 for CyberCity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 06:00 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
Yes, there are many dummies who will break rules, but I don't lump all tourist in together with that. For the most part, I enjoy the mix of tourists, because they are usually people WHO WANT TO BE HERE, and come with an attitude of "I want to enjoy myself". I have more of a problem with the guy-next-door-who-hates-his-boss-and-and-wife-and-life-and-is-gona-take-it-out-on-the-next-parking-lot-stall-encounter-he-has" type.

So, for the tourist who wants to do it the smart way, the easy way, the "have fun, prevent problems" way, it is an quick conversation with the car rental company to see what their rules are.
Well said, as always.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:01 AM

115 posts, read 260,655 times
Default Is there a road that is not the 'back way'

Most of you are referencing the 'backroad to Hana' and not to drive rental cars there. Is there a better way to go, or is this the only way to get to Hana?

Thanks!

Old 10-19-2012, 11:39 AM

682 posts, read 2,794,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlady View Post
Most of you are referencing the 'backroad to Hana' and not to drive rental cars there. Is there a better way to go, or is this the only way to get to Hana?

Thanks!
When people talk about the "road to Hana," they usually mean leaving from Kahului or thereabouts and driving the Hana Highway part or all of the way to Hana. It's a bit of a sketchy road to drive in that it's very narrow and winding. If you find yourself with oncoming cars, you have to know the rules about who backs up to the turnout and lets who go by. It can also be slow moving because of this, and because of the large numbers of tourists who like to drive it.

It is a beautiful drive, with lots of places to stop, hike, go to waterfalls, see beautiful views, and so on. Some folks do it as part of a tour (let a local who knows what they're doing do the driving!). Some drive their rental (there's no problem with this). Most who do the drive turn around and come back the same way they came, ending up back in Kahului.

But if you go all the way to Hana and through the town, the road leads out the other side, wraps around the southern part of the island, and then ends in "upcountry" rather than in Kahului.

So the road folks are talking about now is that second half of the road, the one that is much less traveled.

Hope that helps!

Old 10-20-2012, 10:59 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,605,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newUHprof View Post

But if you go all the way to Hana and through the town, the road leads out the other side, wraps around the southern part of the island, and then ends in "upcountry" rather than in Kahului.

So the road folks are talking about now is that second half of the road, the one that is much less traveled.

Hope that helps!
I made this entire trip about 10 years ago by rental Jeep, and in my opinion the second half of the road less traveled is actually easier without any hairpin curves, with just ordinary "bumpiness" found on any other rural type road, with nothing that remotely requires 4WD...and very spectacular scenery that's different from the first half...I get the impression that the warning about not driving this second half is just to keep visitors away...

Old 10-20-2012, 12:44 PM

682 posts, read 2,794,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
I made this entire trip about 10 years ago by rental Jeep, and in my opinion the second half of the road less traveled is actually easier without any hairpin curves, with just ordinary "bumpiness" found on any other rural type road, with nothing that remotely requires 4WD...and very spectacular scenery that's different from the first half...I get the impression that the warning about not driving this second half is just to keep visitors away...
Agreed. I think the second half is a much easier drive in lots of ways. I think the problem with rentals is that either (1) it used to be much worse and they just haven't updated their contracts, or (2) they're worried about getting service to you if you get a flat or something way out there. So it's really not a prohibition, but a way to charge you for having trouble way far away from everything.

Also, when we left Hana, the gas station wasn't open yet. And there are *no towns or anything* the whole way. And it's a much longer drive than we anticipated. We pretty much rolled into the gas station at the end of the drive on fumes.

So if you do this: Be prepared to pay for the service if something happens to the car, and get gas in Hana for goodness sake!

Old 11-04-2012, 06:53 PM

76 posts, read 154,235 times
We were just there at the end of Oct. and we took that road and came back the other way. Yes it is still rough but I am not sure if it is as rough as it used to be. There are MANY of those tourist buses on that road now and many many convertibles, we porsche saw a 911 on that road. There was a gal selling her wares just after the ohe'o gulch,(going toward Hana) where there is a National Park visitor center. The road was quite busy. You do on occasions hhhhave to back up or wait to allow traffic to pass But like I said there are tour buses that will take you there if you don't want to take a rental car. Just FYI.

Old 09-16-2013, 04:27 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,064,729 times
This thread needs this link. It contains a narration about the drive and some photos.

Wanderlust » Piilani Highway : Driving the back road to Hana

Old 09-16-2013, 11:42 AM

65 posts, read 96,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
This thread needs this link. It contains a narration about the drive and some photos.

Wanderlust » Piilani Highway : Driving the back road to Hana
O my God! It is wonderful! Cannot wait when we will fly to Maui in Dec to find the rental place for us. Thank you very much for sharing!!

Old 09-17-2013, 03:21 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,277,172 times
This is a pretty old thread, but no one mentioned the fact that car rental companies can track where the rental cars are being driven. I heard of a case where a car was rented in California and driven to Vegas against the contract. The rental company knew because the car was tracked and the renter was fined for the contract violation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui