Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 01:32 PM

534 posts, read 480,996 times

Advertisements

FYI folks, I threw a resume into one of the Hawaiian banks last night. They called me today for a phone screen. I didn't expect to hear anything because it's been said so many times here that employers only hire locals. I suck at phone interviews, so I do not expect to hear anything, but I would suggest those who interview well try the banks since apparently they are desperate enough to consider folks from out-of-state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 03:28 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Different companies have different cultures about mainland hires. Some will hire and some won't. I always cast the net locally, and if that fails I open up to mainland hires with Hawaii ties, and if that fails, mainland in general.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:13 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,154 times
Some employers respond to about all reasonable resumes, and after an initial phone interview, they start the weeding out. I know of one of the car rental companies that does it this way. About everyone gets a "first" phone call/interview. It is not that they are by any means "desperate". It is just how they manage their hiring process.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:42 PM

534 posts, read 480,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
Some employers respond to about all reasonable resumes, and after an initial phone interview, they start the weeding out. I know of one of the car rental companies that does it this way. About everyone gets a "first" phone call/interview. It is not that they are by any means "desperate". It is just how they manage their hiring process.
Fair enough, I just remember reading on here that resumes go in the trash if they don't have the local area code.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:28 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeej View Post
Fair enough, I just remember reading on here that resumes go in the trash if they don't have the local area code.
That's a generalization which is less and less true every year. On the other hand a mainland return mail address is a definite disadvantage in a lot of situations. Many employers favor local applicants for a variety of obvious reasons, and a few less obvious ones.

Old 03-20-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeej View Post
Definitely not Oahu with so many non-808 cell phone numbers. Your address versus phone number is much more important.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:37 PM

Advanced course: If you want to get really snoopy (for free) as an employer, you also check out the SS# to see in what state it was issued. Not originally from Hawaii, it will probably be spotted by anyone who checks.

If an employer does not want to hire from out-of-state, it does little good to try and "hide" it in the beginning. Even if you manage to slip through by obtaining an 808 phone and local drop box, they will still learn about it soon enough during the resume/interview process. Really, wouldn't you rather just be rejected up front, instead of later on, if indeed the employer only wants to hire locally?

Old 03-21-2013, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Advanced course: If you want to get really snoopy (for free) as an employer, you also check out the SS# to see in what state it was issued. Not originally from Hawaii, it will probably be spotted by anyone who checks.

If an employer does not want to hire from out-of-state, it does little good to try and "hide" it in the beginning. Even if you manage to slip through by obtaining an 808 phone and local drop box, they will still learn about it soon enough during the resume/interview process. Really, wouldn't you rather just be rejected up front, instead of later on, if indeed the employer only wants to hire locally?
Most jobs - at least with established companies (exception restuarants, gas stations, etc) require you to apply online - and the initial application doesn't require a SSN.

The system my company uses has a Hawaii resident flag when I look at the applicant pool. It is based on address and not phone number. No address defaults to not a Hawaii resident. The pool of applicants defaults to Hawaii residents first - then non-residents. If I flag a candidate for an initial screen, that happens by HR (salary expectations and other general questions) - HR specifically asks right off the bat if the person is a Hawaii resident. Saying no won't disqualify someone right away - but not putting an address on a resume is a red flag. And we don't skype - you fly to Hawaii on your own dime for an interview and if extended an offer, the person is expected to start in 2-3 weeks.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:31 PM

Need a Hawaii address? Just spend the few bucks a month to rent a private mail box service, and make use of their mail forwarding services. It can be done online.

But it still does not make sense to me for someone to try to "hide" where they live. As WHV pointed out, even if you make it past HR's point #1, the person at point #2 or #3 is going to figure it out. You'll still end up in the "non resident" stack, if that is a screening criteria.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:01 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Need a Hawaii address? Just spend the few bucks a month to rent a private mail box service, and make use of their mail forwarding services. It can be done online.
Although this is a popular suggestion whenever this topic comes up, I don't really see the point. Whenever I have been hiring I first do a rough sort of the applications or resumes in front of me, then call my top choices for phone interviews, and invite perhaps the top 5 for a face to face interview within the next few days.

In many corporations there is an additional step before I would even see the resumes, when they are pre-screened by the HR department, and only the top rated ones get passed to me. When there are say, 500 resumes received in responses to one job opening, the very first cut may even be done by computer algorithm, before any humans even set eyes on what you've submitted.

So yes, a "pretend" Hawai'i address could get you past the first gate, but to what end? Let's say I call you on a Tuesday, and we talk, and as a result I ask to see you on Thursday, are you prepared to move heaven and earth to get on a plane tomorrow to be there? And if I decide to offer you the position, are you prepared to show up for work in 2 to 3 weeks?

If not, frankly, you're probably just wasting your time and mine.

Yes, there are a small percentage of jobs in Hawai'i that get filled from the mainland, but for the most part you already need to be in Hawai'i to be considered for a job in Hawai'i. So what's the point of trying to fake it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui