Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 04:29 PM

597 posts, read 1,444,885 times

Advertisements

Maui part timer.....what are you getting at??? I was wondering how long it would take before the insinuations began. That was why I said "no attacks please". I am merely asking questions. If you are taking it the wrong way then I apolgize to you. I already stated I am indepedent but prefer to get away from confrontational people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 12:57 AM

971 posts, read 1,456,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Not sure what this has to do with moving to or even visiting Hawaii. However, I do have a question for you. Doesn't the American flag stand for freedom and doesn't that include the freedom to be offended by it? I served in the military during war time and I am proud to be an American. However, if you start taking away these sort of freedoms, then the American flag means nothing.
Thank you for your service to our country and thank you for your opinion of the American flag standing for freedom. There are many different nationalities in this country that call themselves Americans and if asked what the American flag means to them, you would probably get many different answers. Not just freedom. Along with freedom comes responsibilities of not steping on others freedom of respect for the American flag. One cannot accept freedom without accepting the responsibility, in my opinion. Similar to one abiding only by the laws that they agree with. The woman that gave the finger to some patrotic by standers was in the wrong. IMO

I certainly don't want people living in this country that is offended by the American flag. No telling what an offended person might do in an offensive country. But I think we are seeing examples of it in our daily lives. JMO

Last edited by Bluff_Dweller; 05-30-2013 at 12:59 AM.. Reason: correct typo

Old 05-30-2013, 01:13 AM

971 posts, read 1,456,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLidoBeach View Post
Yes, a car pulled up, stopped the car and the lady took a sip of something from a cup and spit it at us. I was standing next to a vet and a General's wife.

Unfortunately today when people see flags they associate it with Tea party groups (which we were not) and they were vicious. I have no idea what party the spitters and screamers and swearing people were but it was just amazing to witness. This was a whole new experience for me.

I can tell you that the spitter was from Connecticut because we saw the plates on her car.

These were not kids.....many of them were old ladies that you would think they would not be acting like that.

It's sad but our country seems to have gotten to a place where our flag is considered to be an insult where it can be displayed.

I know in some HOA's they are not allowed to display the American Flag because of people saying it offends them.
Sad but true in my opinion.

Old 05-30-2013, 01:52 AM

1,872 posts, read 2,820,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluff_Dweller View Post
Along with freedom comes responsibilities of not steping on others freedom of respect for the American flag.
I do respect your opinion and you sound like a good person. However, where in the Bill Of Rights does it list the freedom of respect for the American flag?

There are a lot of beliefs and opinions that I do not like. However, the flag stands for the right for others to have them. The first amendment says, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." Therefore, you can be of the opinion that those who have a problem with the American flag should leave, yet thanks to the Bill Of Rights, they don't have to.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:46 AM

Default I see your point.....

I know what you mean but it just kills me when we see reports of the Westboro Baptist loons protesting at funerals of soldiers....unfortunately they are protected too.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:57 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,452,582 times
Are you thinking of a different island? Maui is controled by Republicans. Mayor Arakawa is a Republican. But more importantly, the Democrats in the state legislature and county councils aren't that liberal. They're Democrats because of party loyalty, not because they're left wing.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:19 AM

That is interesting. I had no idea Maui was controlled by Republicans. I was just looking at Hawaii as a whole and have just heard the Fed. reps were mainly Democrats.

I knew the Democrats "used to be" moderate as were the Republicans. Just wanted to make sure that it still had that feeling there.

I waved signs for Senator Inouye when he was campaigning years ago when I lived in Hawaii. He worked with everyone one. Nothing partisan about that man. He was such an honorable man. Such a loss for Hawaii.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:33 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,065,069 times
Quote:
I had no idea Maui was controlled by Republicans. I was just looking at Hawaii as a whole and have just heard the Fed. reps were mainly Democrats.

I knew the Democrats "used to be" moderate as were the Republicans. Just wanted to make sure that it still had that feeling there.
Moderate?

TEA Party Maui

Old 05-30-2013, 01:04 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,820,700 times
Quote:
I know what you mean but it just kills me when we see reports of the Westboro Baptist loons protesting at funerals of soldiers....unfortunately they are protected too.
I agree, that is disgusting. Another one I don't like is the KKK rallies that still exist.
Freedom is a wonderful, but it isn't free, there is a cost.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:08 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,476,469 times
To get back to the original topic, in terms of national politics, Hawai'i has long been considered a stronghold of the Democratic party, pretty much back to the transition to statehood.

Partly that can be seen in terms of the traditional division of Republicans representing property owners versus Democrats representing workers. Plus the state has long been highly unionized... we have the third highest percentage of the population which are union members... and union members have also long tended to be Democrats, rather than Republicans.

That said, my impression is that my neighbors vote based on local candidates' qualifications and campaign platforms rather than on party affiliations. And at election time, when groups of supporters are gathered around busy intersections wearing t-shirts and waving signs, they seem mostly to be promoting individual candidates's names, rather than parties. I don't think you would be uncomfortable in the islands

Incidentally, the whole "red state/blue state: division has somewhat puzzled me, because when I was a kid I remember elephants being blue and donkeys being red, and liberals being called "reds," and so on. Looking for an answer I came across this interesting piece about how the US political map colors use to vary widely, with different TV networks setting their own color schemes, until the drawn out confusions of the 2000 election led to some standardization. Red states and blue states
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui