Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 07:17 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,815,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveLidoBeach View Post
That is interesting. I had no idea Maui was controlled by Republicans. I was just looking at Hawaii as a whole and have just heard the Fed. reps were mainly Democrats
Here's what the Republican party has to say:

November 8, 2012
Quote:
"It's a Democratic state. What are you going to do?" said Cindy Sue Clark, the Maui County Republican Party chairwoman. "We're a one-party state. I think it's terrible. One party rules everything."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 07:47 AM

597 posts, read 1,444,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
I agree, that is disgusting. Another one I don't like is the KKK rallies that still exist.
Freedom is a wonderful, but it isn't free, there is a cost.
You are right about the KKK. I forgot about that group of evil loons. AND you are 100% correct that freedom has a cost! I think many people spout off their opinions and have no idea that Americans gave their lives for that freedom.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post

That said, my impression is that my neighbors vote based on local candidates' qualifications and campaign platforms rather than on party affiliations. And at election time, when groups of supporters are gathered around busy intersections wearing t-shirts and waving signs, they seem mostly to be promoting individual candidates's names, rather than parties. I don't think you would be uncomfortable in the islands
Open D~ Thanks for the info about the red/blue state. That was really interesting. I had no idea that is how it came to fruition.

I am glad to hear you say that people are voting for names vs. party. That is how it was when I lived there. Like I said I waved signs for both parties. It just mattered what they stood for, experience and of course whose Uncle they were LOL. Didn't matter if it was Inouye, Lingle, Mink, etc. As long as they were good people and cared for the state and our country, knew how to control a budget, then I would vote for them and I think people were like that then. I HOPED it was still the same.

But with that said I still don't think it is good for any one party to control things. Left or right....makes no difference, I think it should be a mix to keep things in check. Otherwise we end up with government filled with maladroit politicians and too much cronyism and closed door deals.

Old 05-31-2013, 08:12 AM

Cyber City~

"It's a Democratic state. What are you going to do?" said Cindy Sue Clark, the Maui County Republican Party chairwoman. "We're a one-party state. I think it's terrible. One party rules everything"

I just don't understand why people would want all one party in control in Hawaii. It would be better if they had just stayed with the Monarch. At least with the Monarch in control there was only one person to keep an eye on. Now there are many that people have to support financially and keep an eye on! LOL

Last edited by ILoveLidoBeach; 05-31-2013 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-01-2013, 06:58 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,815,575 times
Quote:
It would be better if they had just stayed with the Monarch.
You will certainly find a whole lot of like-minded people about that!

Old 06-01-2013, 07:37 AM

Default Less complicated :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
You will certainly find a whole lot of like-minded people about that!
Well, as least it would be less complicated.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:04 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,267,629 times
Quote:
Well, as least it would be less complicated.
Considering the Hawaiian monarchy, it would be probably be more complicated.
Contenders to the Throne - Honolulu Magazine - November 2009 - Hawaii

Old 06-01-2013, 02:52 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,476,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
Considering the Hawaiian monarchy, it would be probably be more complicated.
Yeah, and that whole thing about breaking a taboo, even if accidentally, meaning you have to die... unless you can get to the City of Refuge before the big guys with the clubs catch you... that's kind of gone out of fashion in our world today.

Police Officer: "I'm sorry ma'am, but your vehicle registration has expired. Please step out of the car so I can kill you."

Motorist: "Oh, please, officer, I really meant to renew. Isn't there anything we can do to fix this?"

<"varoom, varoom" sounds as she floors the accelerator, peeling away from the Police car in a cloud of dust>

Motorist: <over shoulder> "See you in Puʻuhonua, copper!!"

Last edited by OpenD; 06-01-2013 at 03:29 PM..

Old 06-02-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Yeah, and that whole thing about breaking a taboo, even if accidentally, meaning you have to die... unless you can get to the City of Refuge before the big guys with the clubs catch you... that's kind of gone out of fashion in our world today.

Police Officer: "I'm sorry ma'am, but your vehicle registration has expired. Please step out of the car so I can kill you."

Motorist: "Oh, please, officer, I really meant to renew. Isn't there anything we can do to fix this?"

<"varoom, varoom" sounds as she floors the accelerator, peeling away from the Police car in a cloud of dust>

Motorist: <over shoulder> "See you in Puʻuhonua, copper!!"
Open D ~ You almost made me choke on my coffee when I read this. LOL have you ever considered writing comedy? LOL Thanks for the laughs

Old 06-02-2013, 05:39 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,416,294 times
Thumbs up uh...

Quote:
Well, the reason it has to do with moving to Hawaii is because I really don't even want to consider moving back to Hawaii and spend all the money, transfer jobs, and get there and be faced with what I am seeing escalate in the area I live now.

I just believe a nice mix of people (right and left) is best because when one party gets too much power they seem to lose touch with the people that they are supposed to be listening to and it all becomes about power. So I was concerned since I noticed that Hawaii seems to have turned all blue and I wondered why.

With all due respect, IMHO, if someone is insulted by our flag then they really should just live under a flag they love. It's a big world, there are plenty of flags they can live under.

AND they have no business to be spitting on or sticking their middle finger up at someone because they were holding the American flag.
Dear, you will not be stepping off a plane into an intellectually diverse community. Intellectually
challenged, most definatley. You may just have to consider yourself a Party of 1. Now, once you
become familiar with the three or four families that actually run these Islands you will have more to talk
about, and that would be them, and what you can do for them.
Koale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui