Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 09:49 PM

6,386 posts, read 4,846,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
I wouldn't recommend applying Spwinkies, (patent pending), to any 'problem' areas. They are for internal use only. If you meant the Oster 76, if it can't be done with vice grips, duck tape, WD40, or any combination of the three, it simply can't be done.

uuurrrrppppp, scuze me. I'm here for the contest, REALLY!!!!!!!!!

see what 38 years in Hawaii will do to a guy?
How about if you employ gorilla glue, aerosol cheese, a turnip twaddler, (as seen on TV) and a comely assistant?

BTW: You have my vote for the contest.
Aloha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 01:35 PM

120 posts, read 1,167,922 times
I go to Daddy O's Barber Shop. it is the only real barber shop on the entire island. Mod cut (oh! a pun!): At OP's request DaddyOs is the closest thing to a mainland barber shop you can find.

Cheapest would be just get some kitchen scissors and start cutting in your garage. Why do people move to Maui and then complain everything is more expensive?

Also they apparently fix your haircut if you go to Super Cuts. From their facebook page...Affordable Haircut?-img_0401.1.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Daddy...56404307755952

Affordable Haircut?-img_6062.1.jpg

Affordable Haircut?-img_6150.1.jpg

Last edited by Mikala43; 08-05-2013 at 12:19 PM..

Old 08-04-2013, 01:56 PM

834 posts, read 1,219,922 times
I use an Andis Pet Clipper since two decades. The thing is indestructible. Even survives the occasional haircuts of our persian cat and the various dogs we had in those years.

I do use different blades on myself though

Adding all the dollars saved on the critters and my looks, I am looking at the value of a mid size car.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:57 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,580,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauidude View Post

Also they apparently fix your haircut if you go to Super Cuts.
What do they do to fix it? I can see it now..... 'Eh, Bruddah, a'ole pilikia with da haircut. I can see one of da cuttahs wen make em a little too short... But, not to worry, I goin fix em right now.... EH!!!!!! JUNIOR!!!! GET DA CAT!!! GOTTA DO ONE TRANSPLANT!!!!!!!!!!!!

could happen................

Old 08-04-2013, 03:10 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,474,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauidude View Post
I go to Daddy O's Barber Shop. it is the only real barber shop on the entire island. I've been to "Maui Barber Shop" its FAKE.
No need to be so harsh. It's licensed as a Barber Shop, so you're just reacting to its style.

Quote:
I'm a man so I like to go to a mens barber shop. DaddyOs is the closest thing to a mainland barber shop you can find.
Well, I'm a man, and all the best barbers I've had in my life have been women. In my experience they are more patient, more attentive to detail, and far more gentle. I've never had a rough haircut from a woman, but I've had many from men. And who wants a conventional mainland-style manly-men barber shop anyway? Not me. Borrrrinnnngggg. My current fave lady-cutter on the Big Island pours me a beer and puts on music she knows I'll like. Who wouldn't like that?

And paying more to have a man cut my hair? That's a non-starter as far as I'm concerned.

Also, BTW, Daddy-Os has been continuously advertising for months they want to hire a barber, so I'm thinking they can't really be all that.

Quote:
Cheapest would be just get some kitchen scissors and start cutting in your garage.
If you had read OPs previous you would know he has no garage, and is not in a good position to cut his own hair with scissors. He's a special ed teacher who accepted a job here... and that's a good thing... and is just toughing it out in temporary digs until school starts and he can start getting paid.

JJ (that's pronounced HeyHey) suggested the Oster 76 cutter for doing a selfie-cut. I agree it is a fine machine, and with a change of cutters does great pet grooming as well. Really, you can clip a dog with one of those puppies.! But I'll stick with my recommendation of a Wahl from Long's Drugs, because an Oster 76 will cost the OP 6 or 7 haircuts worth, while a basic Wahl home grooming kit will only cost about one, so it's pretty much self-liquidating, and better fits the OPs circumstances.

And since current male grooming ideals for his generation are that facial hair should be longer than the hair on top of the head, the adjustable cutting depths will come in very handy while working in a mirror.

Last edited by OpenD; 08-04-2013 at 03:19 PM..

Old 08-04-2013, 03:33 PM

337 posts, read 613,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Also, BTW, Daddy-Os has been continuously advertising for months they want to hire a barber, so I'm thinking they can't really be all that.
They are good, and they only take really qualified people with credentials (my friend had to finish the stylist program or whatever it was called, and then had to work somewhere else for field experience before she could finally work there). But only the owner did shaves with a straight razor when I went there last. They are looking for one for a while now because one of the girls from Daddy-Os moved to Maui Barber Shop as it was a closer commute for her since she lives in Kihei.

Kihei Barber shop does shaves too. I have to disagree that Daddy-o's the closest thing. The Kihei Barber shop would pretty much be it, a 1 person operation that doesn't have product stocked on the shelves to up-sell. Just a cut/shave/touch up and your good to go. It wasn't remodeled to look like an old barber shop, it just IS an old barber shop with the same looks as it was 20 years ago. Daddy'os is good, but if I got a style cut done there it cost me 35 bucks. At the barber shop all cuts were the same price.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:50 PM

280 posts, read 473,641 times
I can relate, a mens haircut that used to cost me $15 + 5 tip at Great Clips in Minnesota, now costs me $32 with an $8 tip at a beauty salon. My haircut doubled but at great clips they didnt give me the complimentary wash and head massage.

Since thats an extra $20/month x 12 = $120/yr in extra hair maintenance costs, I need to find somewhere to cut from my budget to make up the gap lol.

I've noticed the Car Washes are the same. I used to get a $5 car wash + wax, that same wash is $9 and you need to wash your vehicle twice as often if you live on the north shore...or face corrosion.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:06 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,580,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maui-intoxicated View Post

Since thats an extra $20/month x 12 = $120/yr in extra hair maintenance costs, I need to find somewhere to cut from my budget to make up the gap lol.
I like the math.

uuuurrrrpppp,,, scuze me

Old 08-06-2013, 01:25 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,281,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maui-intoxicated View Post
I can relate, a mens haircut that used to cost me $15 + 5 tip at Great Clips in Minnesota, now costs me $32 with an $8 tip at a beauty salon. My haircut doubled but at great clips they didnt give me the complimentary wash and head massage.

I've noticed the Car Washes are the same. I used to get a $5 car wash + wax, that same wash is $9 and you need to wash your vehicle twice as often if you live on the north shore...or face corrosion.
Maybe you could get the haircuts every other month to cut the monthly costs. I just got a coupon for a $7.95 haircut at Greatclips. Normally is is closer to $15 as you mentioned.

Do they have a hose that you could use to wash your truck? Maybe you could wash and wax your truck yourself. Generally, when you do the washing and waxing yourself, the job is done much better too.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:44 PM

99 posts, read 211,865 times
I found a nearby gas station here that promotes a free car wash with purchase of gas (Shell) if you get their free card (and need to prove you are a resident of the island). First off, even the deluxe wash is far worse than any car wash I experienced in Minnesota, as there was a lot of dirt, mud, and stuff that did not come off. Also, someone warned me that car wash damaged their paint job. Perhaps the hose idea is a good suggestion on many levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui