Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 04:57 PM

280 posts, read 473,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiOlya View Post
I am really sorry that you feel that way.
I moved to Maui in July this year and I am originally from a big city in Russia (with a lot of transportation and a lot of public transportation). And also lots of people, museums, tourists, shops, etc, lots of noise, lots of pollution, etc.
It took me approximately 1-2 hours to get home from work every day.
My main concern about Maui was how country it is because I had been here as a tourist before and it looked very country and I was afraid I would get bored, but so far I really love this place, I lived in Texas (Dallas area) for several years' time, it was not my place at all, people worried about small things in life ignoring the big things and in comparison with that place Maui is just a laid back place where you can relax, it's like a Russian village but very warm and humid, mangoes instead of apples and lots of chicken, reminded me of my childhood when I visited my grandparents.

Well, I was shocked about going to bed at 9-10 pm and roosters hoises and getting early but you know what, I feel a lot better now, I am full of enthusiam and I am really really happy right now: no make up, no high heels, no heavy coats, just enjoying life, we'll see.

My situation where I came from was similar. Suits and Tie, big city rush, hurry up and wait type of mentality. Here on Maui t's wait and see type of mentality. Good to hear that is two of us who are happily transported albeit temporary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 05:54 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,282,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maui-intoxicated View Post
My situation where I came from was similar. Suits and Tie, big city rush, hurry up and wait type of mentality. Here on Maui t's wait and see type of mentality. Good to hear that is two of us who are happily transported albeit temporary.
I take that as you can wear a T-shirt and Jeans or shorts at work where you are now, or generally in Hawaii. It really varies in the Twin Cities. Some places really do expect a suit and tie, but where I work doesn't. Years ago I interviewed for a very tiny company with about 7 people. On the phone call before the interview, I was told not to even think of wearing a suit and tie! When I arrived for the interview, I saw they were located in a very fancy building, put everyone there was wearing tank tops and shorts or jeans with holes in the knees!

I prefer to dress more casual. I met many people in business that wear suits and ties. However, these are usually people in sales or management. If it is a technical person, often times the suit and tie was really an 'empty' suit and tie, where the guy had very little IT knowledge.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:43 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,563,781 times
I Love how it's acceptable to wear "Rubber Slippers" everywhere.

I went on a State Trail Hike to a waterfall, and when I had call to ask for directions and the suggested footwear, the answer was: "you can wear 'rubba slippah!!"

Once we got called to join some folks at an local upscale restaurant that required footwear a minimum of a step up from the rubber slippers we were currently wearing. A quick swing thru Macy's and then to off to the restaurant for some Macnut Crusted, Mesquite-fired MahiMahi, yummm!

We were somehow not too surprised to see a server and a few busboys wearing rubber slippers.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:28 PM

337 posts, read 614,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
I take that as you can wear a T-shirt and Jeans or shorts at work where you are now, or generally in Hawaii. It really varies in the Twin Cities. Some places really do expect a suit and tie, but where I work doesn't. Years ago I interviewed for a very tiny company with about 7 people. On the phone call before the interview, I was told not to even think of wearing a suit and tie! When I arrived for the interview, I saw they were located in a very fancy building, put everyone there was wearing tank tops and shorts or jeans with holes in the knees!

I prefer to dress more casual. I met many people in business that wear suits and ties. However, these are usually people in sales or management. If it is a technical person, often times the suit and tie was really an 'empty' suit and tie, where the guy had very little IT knowledge.
If he's working down by the tech park, then probably a polo/aloha shirt would be business casual there. That's kind of the norm. We'll see car sales person every now and then wearing long sleeve collar + tie, but the tie looks funny with jeans and sneakers.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:14 PM

28 posts, read 45,992 times
Hi, I really like how you seem to have incorporated the spirit of Aloha in your living n Maui. I am considering moving to Hawaii and am wondering if you could give me more info. About what to consider about Maui. I once vacationed in Maui and found that I loved it. I'm of mixed Asian American decent and that may have played into my reception, but agree with you that if you go anywhere in the world with a judge mental outlook local people will pick up on this and be not so quick to embrace you. I've traveled around the world to a number of different countries and find that if you want to learn and enjoy the experience people are more open to sharing it with you.
So, that being said. I do have some concerns. I hear people gripe about the healthcare. I have a couple chronic health conditions that require 1-3month follow up visits and need a good physician. Will this bee difficult to find? Should it dictate where I may consider living? I want to move toHawaii for the change in lifestyle (slower, healthier, less aggression and violence, kinder, friendlier, etc.) and love the culture (from what I did experience). I want to goto farmers markets more than big stores. I want to be able to walk around neighborhoods without worrying about being mugged or raped. I want to not worry about my niece being raped, mugged, hurt. She plans to move with me.
Is it true that you can't park your car at a beach without it being broken into? Do I have to worry about my home being broken into? I also heard that it's hard to find rentals that let me bring my big and small friendly dogs. I also hear that there are ferrel chickens everywhere. Is this true? Just trying to consider as much info. As possible before I set my plans on one particular island to choose? Please advise.
I thank you in advance for the time it takes to read all of this and respond. I'm trying to do this as considerately as possible.
Thank you again.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:51 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,482,806 times
Aloha Suzieq_p

You'll probably get better attention to your questions if you start your own thread instead of adding on to someone else's. And if you use the Search function you'll find a lot of valuable information in the archives here.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:16 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,770,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Interesting post. The fact is, things change; always have always will. Countless cultures have been plowed under by the forces of time and progress. That will never change. You cannot sit and cry about lost innocence and lost grandeur of what once was or you risk being another complainer stuck in the past. Get over it. At this point in time, Maui is a place defined more by location and weather than by culture and any remaining Aloha spirit. That is wilting away with every new box store and every new chain hotel. The final nail in the coffin will be when the cane fields are replaced with housing developments. It is what it is.
I think the problem isnt change, everything changes, i think guys like myself who remember a different time in the past are like ok, change happens but what are we changing to? The problem i have always had with the things always change attitude is its justification to change and do the same things over and over again and expecting different results.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
I think the problem isnt change, everything changes, i think guys like myself who remember a different time in the past are like ok, change happens but what are we changing to? The problem i have always had with the things always change attitude is its justification to change and do the same things over and over again and expecting different results.
Cont from above post:

To me thats just insanity, to do the same things over and over again hoping that it will be different is the definition of insanity. I always ask why would anyone want to make Hawai'i the mainland? If these ideals of change worked on the mainland in your cities, i think u would of beenn happy and not moved?. Why don't we learn from the past and maybe change our thinking, then expecting others to assimilate to ideals that haven't worked. We just don't learn from history and then we just repeat it over and over again. Enough said! aloha

Last edited by hawaiian by heart; 08-18-2013 at 12:37 AM..

Old 08-18-2013, 12:32 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,954,235 times
Did you know you are responding to your own posts Hawaiian?

Old 08-18-2013, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Did you know you are responding to your own posts Hawaiian?
No i was cont from the previous post. Im on my phone so limited box space to type. Should i have done it different? What should i have done?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui