Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 08:34 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,832,732 times

Advertisements

Just curious. Have you ever been to Maui? Anywhere in Hawaii?
Your OP pushes a lot of buttons that have been brought to this forum in the recent past by spoofers. For example: Home water birth? There was an entire thread about a couple who wanted to have a dolphin-assisted birth. (Generally dolphins are not vegans.) If you are real, do LOTS of research before moving. The difficulty and cost related to bringing your pet may even be a deal-breaker.

Last edited by Futuremauian; 09-02-2013 at 10:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 08:57 AM

106 posts, read 230,241 times
meh, if the post sounds valid and has info that can benefit others, no harm in answering. There certainly is no lack of people wanting to answer these posts that come up and it's especially true considering how fast they do get answered by someone.

Someone will benefit of the info presented some bat place, some bat time. (okay that joke must have gone over many heads lol)

Old 09-02-2013, 10:27 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Thoughts? You haven't thought this out very well.
My opinion is that starting to plan a year before moving is probably enough time to think things out sufficiently.

OP, you know about preparing the dog. Pay very close attention to following the rules precisely. They aren't flexible.

I suspect that either your budget is too small for housing, or you are expecting to rent too much house.

The pet is going to make finding a rental more difficult. Not impossible, but a lot more difficult.

Pagans I know don't rub anyone else's nose in it, so it is generally not possible to know who is a pagan and who isn't. Unless you happen to live in an enclave of Fundamentalist Southern Baptists, nobody should even know what your religion is. Which you probably won't have a problem with in Hawaii.

Personally, I have a problem with anyone who trumpets about their religion to every stranger they meet, no matter what their religion is. I hope that is not your plan.

Do henna tattoos stand up to a lot of sweat? Do they survive hot and humid weather? You are going to have to set up the booth and see what happens. My best guess is that small Hawaiian style tattoos in henna might be a hit with the tourists. However, those tattoos have religious meaning, so you would have to be careful to just do them "in the style of" and not as exact representations.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:31 AM

7 posts, read 17,241 times
Thanks for all the great responses. I headed to bed and the thread just opened up!!! Okie to address concerns.
Yes I am real, sorry if my OP pushed buttons wasn't an intentional thing. My mother is a maternity nurse of 32 years, brought water birth to her hospital and is a neo-natal resuscitation instructor. I have been planning (when I have kids) to do a home water birth no matter where I am. I love dolphins but I certainly don't plan on birthing in open sea around a large marine mammal, just not in my plan!

Yes I have been, as I stated I have visited all the towns I am thinking of and I like them all for different reasons. Wailuku particularly as I love first Friday. I just wanted to hear some personal stories and opinions on what places might work. As one of the other posters said, finding a rental in my price range with a dog is difficult so that is also why I am not narrowing my search, kinda in a take what I can get situation. From the look on craigslist there seems to be quite a few places with 2br for 1500 or under, the 1500 is just rent, not including utilities, I already budgeted them separately. My job will start as soon as I am there so I am feeling okie finance wise, as I have been saving for this since last november when I decided to go.

Yep I know the costs around my dog, she is already micro chipped and has had the first rabies round, going in for the second soon and blood test.

Henna is a temporary ancient body art form. My website is here is you want more info Home - Mehndi Spirit
Great idea about adding Hawaiian designs!! Thank you I will be sure to add them in respectfully!

I really appreciate all the responses!

Old 09-02-2013, 11:36 AM

7 posts, read 17,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Pagans I know don't rub anyone else's nose in it, so it is generally not possible to know who is a pagan and who isn't. Unless you happen to live in an enclave of Fundamentalist Southern Baptists, nobody should even know what your religion is. Which you probably won't have a problem with in Hawaii.

Personally, I have a problem with anyone who trumpets about their religion to every stranger they meet, no matter what their religion is. I hope that is not your plan.
I am not a flaunt-er. I am a Therapist which means I am a blank slate for the client I am working with. I don't where obvious jewelery, I don't wear weird clothes, I don't tell every person I meet. It's something I am not ashamed of and will answer anyone honestly if they ask directly but I do not wear it on my sleeve, so to speak.

I was more wondering about the general attitude towards pagans on Maui, being a tourist really can't give you that. And also wondering if there are any Pagan meetups or groups anyone knows about. Just looking to make connections. But yes I keep a pretty low profile.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:20 PM

9 posts, read 17,889 times
Hi- I know that both Imua Family Services and Kokua mental health are hiring in regard to a steady income job for an MFT/MSW position.

I'd then go from there as far as part time work.

I had no issues moving on my own and it all worked out fine. CDF is sort of filled with a bunch of wackos who will only be negative. When I ask around on Maui no one has even heard of this forum!

I'd rent a vrbo rental studio for a week or do a hostel in Wailuku, then when on island I'd find a room for rent or your own place. I had amazing luck connecting and finding my way without an issue, but that doesn't always happen.

Kihei is dry, but might not be your scene. Paia and Haiku are hippy type places but it rains up there a lot.

Kihei to Kahului and Wailuku is not a long commute. Lots of people here drive into town from all over....Haiku, Upcountry, Kihei, even Lahaina!

Old 09-02-2013, 11:50 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Perhaps:
SYNERGY COMMUNITY
Main Page @ churchoftheearth.org

Old 09-03-2013, 09:31 AM

569 posts, read 780,395 times
I'd seriously consider leaving the dog behind for that first month that you're living in temporary vrbo-type housing. The dog will really limit your options. Even if you find a place that'll let you have your dog for a month, when that time is up, you may have to find other temporary housing.

In my opinion, it would be best to wait until you have permanent housing before bringing the pooch.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:14 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hennagoddess View Post
I was more wondering about the general attitude towards pagans on Maui, being a tourist really can't give you that.
In all honesty, I'd say the general attitude would be "What's that?" I'm not trying to be funny, I just think most people don't know much, if anything, about paganism, or even realize that it is, in fact, a recognized religion.

The most credible estimates I've been able to find on the popularity of paganism in the US indicate that about 2/10ths of 1% identify with the religion. If that percentage were to hold true on Maui, I'd expect that about 290 people in the island would be pagans, but the actual number could differ wildly.

In terms of tolerance, I'd say Hawai'i is quite good overall, due to a long history of many different religions being practiced by various immigrant groups. I think you'll find that people just aren't as nosy about other people's beliefs and practices as they are in other parts of the country. As a matter of fact, I can't recall ever being asked about my religion in Hawai'i, whereas in the Bible Belt I used to get the question all the time.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:30 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyislndgrl View Post
Hi-

I had no issues moving on my own and it all worked out fine. CDF is sort of filled with a bunch of wackos who will only be negative. When I ask around on Maui no one has even heard of this forum!

!
Here we go again. Valuable input from someone who just joined and has about 10 posts. I do so much love being called a "negative wacko". At least she didn't accuse us of not even living in Hawaii, as others who don't like our comments have done.

Prettyislndgirl, stick around for a while and keep posting from your personal experience. Soon you'll be a negative whacko, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui