Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 12:21 AM

7 posts, read 17,262 times

Advertisements

Aloha!
So I am looking at moving to Maui at the end of June 2014 and I am looking for feedback of all sorts, A little about me. I am a single, 31 y/o female Marriage and Family Therapist specializing in families with children with behavioral problems and a Henna Body Artist with one super cute and well behaved shih tzu dog. I currently live in southern NH but I have lived all over including California. I am also a scuba diver, horseback rider, and karaoke wanna-be super star.

So my big questions are these... First is where to live on Maui. My work will most likely be in Kahului, and I am very used to commutes, in fact I love commutes. I know I am one of those weird people. So I am thinking obviously Kahului, Wailuku, but also Kihei, Haiku, Paia, Kula, Pukalani and others in those areas. Weather wise I prefer drier to more humid in general,(in relative terms-southwest dry is like death to me), I also come from a very cold climate so dealing with cold nights wouldn't be an issue but I also would be fine not having to deal with them. Basically I am looking for something with 2 bedrooms that accepts dogs and is under 1500/month. So what's my best bet?

Next is my side business. I am a Henna artist. I do craft fairs, renaissance faires, and parties here in NH and do very well, but it's a short season as henna likes warm weather. What do you think of this being my plan for extra income?

Next is religion. I know kinda scary to bring up one of the big no no's but I gotta go there. So I am Pagan, yup I am a new age, hippy, witch, herbalist, want to one day have my future children in a home water birth. So is this view embraced on Maui. From my research yes for most of it, but I have not been able to figure out the religion piece. I feel my political stance will be welcomed, as well as my at one with nature way of life, but is Paganism accepted on the island?

Also I am vegan and so I have been anticipating things to go a bit easier in the food dept for me. But one thing I am curious about is the single population for 31 y/o's, how's the scene? I would like to not be single forever,lol.

So basically just looking to ask a few questions and make some connections.

Bright Blessings-Aloha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 12:54 AM

12,120 posts, read 18,001,742 times
Ok. That was funny and more original than most. You are moving June 2014 and don't know where you want to live?

Old 09-02-2013, 01:15 AM

Thanks!

Yup, not sure yet which town on Maui. I plan on renting for a month- a vacation rental type thing and visiting apts from there. I am on craigslist everyday checking out what's available.

I am going to buy a car once I get there, and I am only coming with what I can bring on the plane, everything else my family will ship me when I need it. So I figure I can rent a furnished place at first, or even buy an air mattress at walmart or costco (already a member) to get me by.

I am leaning towards Haiku, Kihei, and Kahului/Wailuku. Thoughts?

Old 09-02-2013, 02:31 AM

Thoughts? You haven't thought this out very well.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:45 AM

??hmm how so? I am honestly interested. I am a planner and an avid researcher, so I guess I am confused why not being set on the town is so problematic. From my research most places will not rent to me until I am on island, and though I know what I like as a tourist I was trying to get a feel for the 'personality' so to speak of the towns from a local perspective based on my personality type. I am in the process of finalizing my job, so i will start shortly after I arrive. I also have already begun the needed steps for direct release of my dog from the airport. However I am far from perfect, if I am missing something it would be very helpful if you could clarify exactly what you feel I am missing.

So my questions were...
-Which of the listed towns might suit me best.
-What is the local disposition towards pagans/Nature-Based religions.
-What is the single early 30's scene like.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:01 AM

My point was if you don't even know what town you want to move to - then you are set up for failure if you are relying on the internet for where to live.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:08 AM

Oh sorry I gave that impression. Not at all though, in no way relying; merely looking for some anecdotal opinions to add to my research. I know I like the towns I listed, all have pros and cons, but again I have only seen through my own eyes and was looking for others perspectives. For me it will come down to what rentals in those areas are available once I arrive on island, which will accept a well behaved 10lb dog, in my price range, and has the right 'feel' to it. All of which I need to be in person to do, but having others perspectives doesn't hurt.

Nothing I am asking here I am relying on at all, just looking for some qualitative data.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:31 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,117,677 times
If you want to fit in and be "normal", you could move to Pahoa on the Big Island. You'd find loads of similar sorts of folks there.

Dunno how the specific areas are on Maui, though, so I can't actually answer your original question.

Henna "tattoo" parties might be an interesting thing, it would be more fun than Tupperware parties anyway.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:26 AM

106 posts, read 231,075 times
Wailuku always feels like a fun funky little town, right at the base of the mountains and so close to Kahului. There's a hostel in Wailuku so maybe they could be some sort of contact and give you pointers on the scene there.

Initially I think henna'ing is cool, I certainly have always been fascinated especially by Oriental/middlee eastern henna tattoos. Maybe learn some native designs and incorporate those into your portfolio. Everybody loves a Hono and Mo'o!

I can't remember if Henna is permanent or semi permanent? I so could see someone in a little tent at some craft fair doing henna tats for the myriad of tourists found in Maui.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:15 AM

18,438 posts, read 19,093,822 times
Paia would be your best bet. that seems to be the spot where most new agers are, then haiku second. henna tattooing is all over the island. the market may be over saturated. best of luck to you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui