Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 03:14 AM

5 posts, read 25,370 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Maui from Maine in 2 weeks. I've talked with west point relocation, 2284$ to ship 100cubic ft. Is it a good price?? They also say they will store my stuff for a month, no extra cost. I have 2 really big mirrors, anyone have any pointers on shipping/packing them for the trip? Or should I leave them behind..? Do they really drop your stuff at your doorstep or will they help you bring it in..maybe at an extra cost??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 03:31 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,580,958 times
I'ld leave EVERYTHING behind!! All you need is some good aloha shirts, a few t-shirts, some board shorts, rubbah slippahs, one jacket to use about 10 times a year, and plenny kala!! (money). Oh, and if you happen to have one, leave the mainland attitude behind as well. Best of luck!!!

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 02-02-2008, 05:03 PM

5 posts, read 33,838 times
I'm living the Maui dream... since 1980... came from Canada. Would be happy to help anyone with their Maui questions... and would hope to be your realtor when the time comes to buy a home.
aloha from Maui. Georgina Hunter - team member of Jim Sanders Realty Inc. Paia Maui HI

Old 02-21-2008, 08:56 PM

21 posts, read 90,879 times
i moved to maui in 2005 from marin, california. i love it here. the only thing i brought with me was my car....i shipped it with matson. then the price was about 1000 bucks, but i think it has gone down now. i found work easily enough, and dont have any plans to ever move. there are definatly better places on the island to live then others....for example, i would never live in kiehi, or "happy Valley" in Wailuku. dodgy...

Old 01-19-2010, 05:44 PM

1 posts, read 4,265 times
i just got back from maui, my boyfriend lives in lahaina and wants me to move there. I could not hardly handle the traffic, drunk tourists, and the way some locals treat their animals. i would like to go but wonder does anybody know of a town close to maui that isnt full of all the crap in lahaina?

Old 01-22-2010, 09:47 AM

1,534 posts, read 4,264,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verla View Post
i just got back from maui, my boyfriend lives in lahaina and wants me to move there. I could not hardly handle the traffic, drunk tourists, and the way some locals treat their animals. i would like to go but wonder does anybody know of a town close to maui that isnt full of all the crap in lahaina?
You might take a look at the "Upcountry" areas. We've been researching various Maui localities for an extended stay (12 months or so) and are looking at the Makawao area in particular. Staying away from the worst of the main tourist localities seems advisable, at least for us. If commuting is an issue, you obviously need to build that into your criteria.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:56 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,684,637 times
We made the move to Kihei almost one year ago. Wow, I can't believe it's been that long. Time flies! We have had our struggles but we love it here. We chose Kihei because of its central location, its amazing beaches and because we were sun starved. After a year we are still soaking it up. I don't think we'll be ready to move upcountry or to a wetter area anytime soon. We love the warmth. Yes, the traffic is bad but not as bad as where we came from. We can deal.

My top 3 favorite things:
* The beaches, of course!
* The people: Everyone has been so welcoming and friendly.We have made friends easily.
* The lifestyle: My husband is so much calmer. His blood pressure is down, his weight is down.
He sleeps better at night and he laughs more easily. That goes double for me.

My top 3 least favorite things:
* The traffic
* Maui snow
* Bugs

Last edited by boodhabunny; 01-29-2010 at 06:04 AM..

Old 01-29-2010, 06:56 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,416,294 times
Default I'm coming home...

Well, we've been trying to 'settle' on the Big Island for 2 years now after living in Seattle for 20 years. I've been away from Maui for 30 years. BI just ain't cuttin' it. However, instead of landing w/a backpack, this time I'll be landing w/a family, 2 dogs, 2 vehicles and a job transfer w/the State. A bit different than last time. I'm devouring all the posts about localities. I believe 'Upcountry' will be best for us. I was never involved w/Wailuku. Any comments about that area? It looks pretty congested. Kihei may work...not sure yet. When I left Kihei..way back when...they were just starting to throw out the 'House Seeds' and buildings were going up everywhere. Of course we'll be renters for quite awhile. I'm planning on the end of February to come over for a few days to scout things out. I'm happy about our decision. Not giddy about it, reality you know, is my best friend. The timing of everything is the tough part but at least we don't need to do the 'quarantine' routine this time. But, man...the airfares are rediculous right now. No deals anywhere.
Koale

Old 01-29-2010, 05:37 PM

6 posts, read 19,496 times
Boodhabunny - Nice to hear you have adjusted well to island life. I just purchased a new condo in Kihei and moving (from Seattle) later this year. I have been very anxious about moving after being in Seattle 30+ years, but I've been to Maui as many times. I don't think I'll ever tire of the sun, but I will miss friends and family. BTW - what kinda of bugs?! (cockroaches I assume). Alex54seattle

Old 01-31-2010, 01:47 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,684,637 times
> BTW - what kinda of bugs?!

LOL. Honestly, the bugs don't bother me much but I was hard pressed to think of a third item to put on my "least favorite things" list! It was the only thing I could think of. We are in a condo and they keep the bugs under control with regular spraying. I wear bug repellent when I go hiking.

I had been talking to a friend, a home owner (who owns a single family residence) and he has been complaining to me about the bugs, so I guess you could say that I entered it on my list in his honor.

Like you, I called the Pacific Northwest my home for over 30 years. The move to Maui was my husband's idea. I basically had to agree to the move when I accepted his marriage proposal. It was hard for me to leave my friends and family but, guess what? They visit often! They haven't given us a chance to miss them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui