Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 09:02 AM

21 posts, read 154,570 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are retired and are going to be moving to Maui in the next 2 years. How do we ship our furniture and car?
We are planning on buying a house in Kihea and have a realtor looking for homes for us.

Everyone says it is so expensive living in Hawaii, but my husband and I are simple people and honestly, how much can one eat? The cost of homes are comparable to where we live now, Minden, Nevada.

We love the easy going way of life in Maui and especially the wonderful and warm weather.

Can't wait to live there. We are coming out in May for a vacation and will look at homes then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 11:28 AM

649 posts, read 3,444,330 times
It is expensive, but one of the biggest factors seems to be the relatively low wages for similar-type jobs. So, if you're retired and have a decent income or large 'nest egg', you have at least avoided one of the problems that plagues folks who must earn enough, through work, to sustain their daily needs (and hopefully put something away for the future, as well).

Just do a bit of research (seems that you've already done some, re: the cost of homes), check out the cost of ongoing expenses such as utilities, food (you can see the grocery store ads for the big chains, just find a zip code near where you'll be living and use that at the store's website to see the local ad), and other things you'll need, and do up a budget - be realistic and see if you can swing it.

For many people, the cost of living in Hawai'i is astronomical compared to where they're currently living; for others, it's not that much higher. (For us, here in upstate NY, the cost of housing is MUCH higher, but other things - taxes, for example - are much lower. Gasoline is comparable. Food is a bit higher but not much. For people coming from NYC, San Diego or San Francisco, housing may be comparable.)

As for your questions, there are several outfits that do the trans-pacific moving. Matson will ship it all in one container (20', 40' or 45'), you can put your car in with the rest of the stuff if it will fit. One of the auto-shippers (I forget which one) will ship a car filled with stuff. Other auto shippers require that the vehicle be entirely empty. Some 'stuff' shippers will do what they call "LCL" - less than a container load. THey combine your stuff with someone else's. Matson will coordinate the entire move, across the country on land and across the ocean. Others may do that as well. What will work best for you will depend on how much stuff you have, how much you want to (or are willing to) do yourselves (e.g., pack it, load it, unload it, arrange for land-transport, drive your car to a port city, etc.). What I have found is that it costs approximately $1,000 to ship a car from a west coast port to HI. I got an estimate for a FCL (full container load - 40' container, 2,300 cubic feet or so of stuff) from Matson, to ship from upstate NY to Kauai (including over land as well as trans-pacific), from my door to the port in Kauai, of about $10,000. That is packing, loading and unloading ourselves, they say a 40' container is good for a 3-BR house, approximately. Another site (West Point Relocation? not sure) has an "inventory calculator" that you can use to figure out how much stuff you have, in cubic feet. Do some research on the internet and you'll learn a lot. This site is also full of great information, and lots of knowledgeable and fun people!

Many people will tell you to get rid of as much as you can; that's a good idea, I think, with one exception. If you have something that is pretty nice, in good condition, you use it, you wouldn't ordinarily be replacing it for a few years, and you will probably be using it in HI, *I* think it's better to take it than to sell and buy another there. Most things cost a bit more out there because of the shipping. You have to figure YOUR marginal cost to ship it, and then how much you'll have to pay to replace it, and do the math.

You may also want to consider whether you'll be 'downsizing' a bit - most of the homes in HI have less indoor space than many homes on the mainland, because people do more of their living outdoors. So, for example, we're keeping only one of our two TVs, and ditching some of our other furniture, because we know there just won't be anyplace to put it in our new home (any home we can afford out there, for sure).

Good luck, have fun, and we'll all be waiting to hear how it goes for you. (FYI, we are planning on moving to Kauai this coming summer ['08] - my sister and niece are already there, now my husband and I, our 11-year-old son, and my 80-yr-old mom are going to join her. We've been researching for a while, have visited several times, and now have the benefit of sis's experience and advice as well.)

Old 12-30-2007, 07:04 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,572,705 times
Never thought I'ld find myself typing this, but in all honesty, I would not recommend Kihei, or Maui for that matter, as a place to relocate. After over 30 years in Kihei, I find that it has become rather disgusting. Congestion, traffic that is absolutely beyond belief, and will only get worse as there are no plans to improve the road system, rude tourists, planned development down in Wailea and Makenna that will increase the existing problems, no, wouldn't recommend Kihei at all. Big Island, outside of Hilo or Puna, at least not so many people. When I came to Maui in 1975 there was one traffic light, you ought to see it now.....

Aloha

Old 12-30-2007, 10:43 PM

850 posts, read 4,364,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Never thought I'ld find myself typing this, but in all honesty, I would not recommend Kihei, or Maui for that matter, as a place to relocate. After over 30 years in Kihei, I find that it has become rather disgusting. Congestion, traffic that is absolutely beyond belief, and will only get worse as there are no plans to improve the road system, rude tourists, planned development down in Wailea and Makenna that will increase the existing problems, no, wouldn't recommend Kihei at all. Big Island, outside of Hilo or Puna, at least not so many people. When I came to Maui in 1975 there was one traffic light, you ought to see it now.....

Aloha
back in the days! does that mean you are thinking of relocating to the big island?

Old 01-03-2008, 06:00 PM

307 posts, read 1,223,012 times
You are NOT allowed to put stuff in the car and ship it to Hawaii or they will send it back to mainland at your expense! The moving company will tell you that it doesn't allow you to put ANYTHING in the car! Why? Because there are alot of people who bring thier SUV's and Pick up trucks, it weigh more so you can't put anything in the car. You know weigh restrictions. When we moved from Kona to Las Vegas, our moving company told us we are not allowed to put anything in the car while shipping because of weigh restrictions.

Good Luck!

Old 01-03-2008, 07:39 PM

649 posts, read 3,444,330 times
KD - That is true of most auto shipping companies (that you can't put ANYTHING in the car). All but this one, I think. See:

ALSI Main Page

Here is a quote from their website:

"Island Vehicle Transport is a premier provider of logistics management and support services with a niche focus on the movement of vehicles to and from the US Mainland and the State of Hawaii. * * * With IVT you can move personal effects inside of your vehicle. We are the only service provider that will give you this unique option."

So apparently it IS possible, if you use this outfit.

Last edited by Sweetbeet; 01-03-2008 at 07:41 PM.. Reason: formatting

Old 01-04-2008, 11:06 PM

71 posts, read 497,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbeet View Post

"Island Vehicle Transport is a premier provider of logistics management and support services with a niche focus on the movement of vehicles to and from the US Mainland and the State of Hawaii. * * * With IVT you can move personal effects inside of your vehicle. We are the only service provider that will give you this unique option."
OMG! Wow, I was told that you couldn't ship items in your vehicle because of 9/11 and it was Homeland Security's fault. I have been so mad ever since because if someone wants to ship a bomb or whatever, there are still many ways to do it and the rule only effect the average joe who is just trying to get their stuff over to Hawaii. I was thinking about writing the president, no joke!

Awesome research Sweetbeet. Thanks a ton!

Sharlee

Old 01-05-2008, 11:04 AM

71 posts, read 497,864 times
I checked it out and it costs $3150 to ship your car with stuff in it. You would have to have a huge car for that to be economical. Shipping just the car us under $1000 and you can ship quite a bit either USPS or even on pallets for the other $2150. Far more than could fit in my car and it's an SUV. So I think we are still going to go with shipping the car empty. The thing I really want to fill up and ship is my travel trailer. Haven't found that option yet. Still looking though.

Aloha all! Sharlee

Old 01-05-2008, 11:34 AM

1,722 posts, read 3,748,988 times
Lucky...I was there in 2000 and LOVED it! I can't imagine living there...that would be paradise!

Old 01-21-2008, 09:14 PM

1 posts, read 13,131 times
I love Maui!I was there in feb. 2007 and going again this winter.Seriously thinking to escape the kaos in NYC an move to Maui.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui