Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 08:36 AM

71 posts, read 298,762 times

Advertisements

I know what you mean NandVsmom - I always forget to look too - but we are thinking of moving to south Kihei soon so your info was very helpful! I am one of the fortunate ones who has a job that I can take with me. My biggest concern is what my food bill will look like. We do not eat out often and I love to coupon so I am thinking I can get by on $600-700 a month for groceries (including health/beauty and cleaning/paper products) for 2. I have no problem shopping around for deals. Does this sound reasonable in your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 10:50 AM

820 posts, read 3,038,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenalove View Post
I know what you mean NandVsmom - I always forget to look too - but we are thinking of moving to south Kihei soon so your info was very helpful! I am one of the fortunate ones who has a job that I can take with me. My biggest concern is what my food bill will look like. We do not eat out often and I love to coupon so I am thinking I can get by on $600-700 a month for groceries (including health/beauty and cleaning/paper products) for 2. I have no problem shopping around for deals. Does this sound reasonable in your opinion?
How many of you are there to feed?
And what kinds of food do you tend to buy?

Old 03-12-2010, 11:06 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,455,664 times
I'm really surprised how much some people spend on food

Old 03-12-2010, 02:06 PM

24 posts, read 62,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenalove View Post
I just posted some prices I observed at Costco last week over on another thread. You can see it here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/13259094-post10.html

Old 03-12-2010, 03:58 PM

71 posts, read 298,762 times
Thanks thyroid gal - very helpful info. There is just 2 of us. I eat like a squirrel, but my hubby eats more like a bear - lol

Old 03-13-2010, 10:30 AM

820 posts, read 3,038,576 times
With only 2 of you, and if you don't cook extravagantly or waste food, you'll be fine.

Costco is a great place for bargains, as long as you don't end up throwing out a lot of what you buy. Cases of fruit are a good example. Looks like a good idea, to get a case of peaches, but here they go from unripe to ripe to rotten much faster than on the mainland. Unless you eat, cook, or freeze them all, you will end up giving some to neighbors and/or tossing out some. That means the per-fruit cost is higher than if you just bought what you need at the local store.

What you keep in your pantry might change too. Grains and pastas and cereals can get infected with bugs while in the store. So I keep less of that in the pantry than I did in CA. I keep canned goods, and paper goods, all from Costco or on sale at the Safeway or Times. Grains and cereals are in jars (see another thread on cockroaches).

A freezer is a good idea of a large family or on the mainland, but not such a savings for a couple here. The cost of electricity will truly eat up your food savings. Better to buy what you need and can keep in your regular refrigerator-freezer.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:27 AM

682 posts, read 2,797,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
What you keep in your pantry might change too. Grains and pastas and cereals can get infected with bugs while in the store. So I keep less of that in the pantry than I did in CA. I keep canned goods, and paper goods, all from Costco or on sale at the Safeway or Times. Grains and cereals are in jars (see another thread on cockroaches).
I buy flour and such in bulk, but as soon as I get home, it gets transferred to an airtight container. Seriously about the bugs... they will eat right through "re-sealable bags".

Old 03-18-2010, 08:17 AM

2 posts, read 7,698 times
Thank you NandVsMom. Your reply was just what we needed! Making our decision now, your input about schools was very helpful for us. Your update about prices for milk too.
I've been reading almost every post there is about moving to Maui and yours might have just tipped the scale to "yesssss" we will. Maybe we'll meet one day in the grocery aisle *lol. God bless

Old 03-18-2010, 12:04 PM

47 posts, read 182,519 times
I am looking into two houses right now. I will be working from home so the commute is not a huge deal. One of the homes is in the Napili neighborhood and the other is in Kihei. I really like the home in Napili but the home in Kihei is close to being just as nice. Where would you guys choose? Not worrying about price of home or the commute. Is Napili just too small and distant?

Old 03-18-2010, 01:05 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,901,738 times
Default Distant from what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dply View Post
I am looking into two houses right now. I will be working from home so the commute is not a huge deal. One of the homes is in the Napili neighborhood and the other is in Kihei. I really like the home in Napili but the home in Kihei is close to being just as nice. Where would you guys choose? Not worrying about price of home or the commute. Is Napili just too small and distant?
I live in Ka'anapali and don't commute anywhere, but I don't consider it "distant." To me, Napili is like many of the other neighborhoods in West Maui, kind of all next to each other along the coast and adjacent to Lahainatown. I can get most of what I need most of the time, and look forward to going to the other side once in a while for things from big box or specialty stores. Much like I enjoy planning to go upcountry or to Paia to shop for certain things.

I guess I get that Napili is "small," but Kihei doesn't seem all that big to me, either. They're definitely different though. A matter of perspective?

IMHO, people are usually drawn to either West Maui or South Maui much as one might be drawn to Maui v. another island. It seems there's just always a place that feels more like home than the others. I'd look for that.

Since you asked, I mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui