Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 01:27 PM

47 posts, read 182,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot? View Post
I live in Ka'anapali and don't commute anywhere, but I don't consider it "distant." To me, Napili is like many of the other neighborhoods in West Maui, kind of all next to each other along the coast and adjacent to Lahainatown. I can get most of what I need most of the time, and look forward to going to the other side once in a while for things from big box or specialty stores. Much like I enjoy planning to go upcountry or to Paia to shop for certain things.

I guess I get that Napili is "small," but Kihei doesn't seem all that big to me, either. They're definitely different though. A matter of perspective?

IMHO, people are usually drawn to either West Maui or South Maui much as one might be drawn to Maui v. another island. It seems there's just always a place that feels more like home than the others. I'd look for that.

Since you asked, I mean.
Thanks for the reply. I'm headed out soon to go see the properties in person. The only appeal Kihei had to me over the Ka'anapali area was the central location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 02:42 PM

209 posts, read 722,555 times
Default South Maui

Quote:
Originally Posted by NandVsMom View Post
Damn HisDudeness hasn't been on since April of LAST year! I hate that never remember to look at the original posters date!!! I just wasted my time trying to be helpful and all for naught! Aaaak! I'm going to cut and save it for the next time someone asks about South Maui - which shouldn't be long! ; )
So, what about South Maui?

Old 03-26-2010, 03:07 PM

209 posts, read 722,555 times
Aloha everyone!

These threads are great!! I came acrossed them on a whim and decided to chime in . Just like everyone else here we love Maui. My husband and I started visiting Maui 3 years ago. Our daughter had finsihed school and moved out to be on her own. It was our time and we chose to go to Maui twice a year ever since . My husband has recently started talking about moving to Maui. I keep talking him out of it, as I think it's a proposterous idea. Don't get me wrong, I love Maui and cry everytime I have to leave, but to live there in anytime, especially in these economic times would be challenging to say the least. Especially if your like us and are just working folks. My husband and I own a small concrete business here in Central Oregon. We have been in business since 1987 and have never seen our business slow as it has the past 1 1/2 years. I'm thinking this type of work in Maui would be extremely hard to get into, especially now. I myself am a Para Professional in the Special Education Dept. at a middle school. I beleive that may be an easier field to obtain in Maui, but I'm sure the pay is a lot less than what I make here on the mainland. Anyway, these are just some of my thoughts. I am planning on coming back to Maui for another visit in July. I can't wait!!!

Old 04-21-2010, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,612 times
we use to live in a beautiful home in Oahu and everything became too expensive, and the traffic terrible
We went to Fiji and bought a million dollar home for less than half of million. We live a dream. Everything organic including the meat, no pollution.The view is absolutely spectacular. We had club house golf, tennis marina, 5 minutes from the house, which is an a botanical garden with all the fruits you can even imagine.We love animals and had to sweet mix big dogs and a Pomeranian.5 outdoor cats and 2 Fiji parrots we rescue, and they start talking after 6months . Fijian are kind and always happy people. Everything truly a dream. Unfortunately my husband had being diagnose with terminal lung cancer stage 4. We came to Oahu for treatments and we are temporary moving to Maui for how long he can live.I never being in Maui, my husband did. We are overwhelmed by everything and we have to sale our house with boat car furniture, everything in Fiji. We live there for 6 beautiful years. We hope to like Maui enough
to be able to deal with everything. Any personal advice about living in Maui? We have to sale our dream home in Fiji, Somebody else will be lucky to live their dream in our beautiful home in Fiji.
D&M

Old 04-29-2010, 08:50 AM

145 posts, read 451,634 times
D&Mfiji, I'm sorry I have nothing to offer as far as advise about Maui (having never been there myself), but just wanted to take a moment to say how sorry I am for the really bad news you've had and that you're are having to leave your beautiful home in Fiji. I hope that somehow everything can turn out, if not well, at least better than you expect.

Well wishes and prayers from me to you and yours.

<3

Old 03-21-2011, 08:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,019 times
Default Cant WAIT to leave the Rat Race!

I'm wondering why the threads have stopped? It's about a year later and I'm wondering if any of you still live on Maui? My fiance and I are moving there. My fiance is there now and I will join him in August. He was lucky enough to have his company move us there. I definetly think it is your frame of mind that can make a move to Maui a successful one; or not. I lived on Kauai when I was in high school and have been to Maui about a million and one times so, I know what to expect. I do remember how expensive it was, even though I didnt have to worry about it because I was younger. We're moving there with the idea "less is more". It's just us two and our dog and cat. Our only issue is finding a place to rent that accepts pets. Other than that, I have NO PROBLEM with living a simpler, laid back lifestyle. We are both outdoorsy people. I cant wait to camp, hike and explore the island away! I remember when I lived on Kauai, it dosnt matter what you drive, what name brand clothes you have or your social status... it just dosnt matter...

Any of you still there?? Are you loving it??

Old 03-21-2011, 11:54 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,416,294 times
Thumbs up Aloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoRatRace View Post
I'm wondering why the threads have stopped? It's about a year later and I'm wondering if any of you still live on Maui? My fiance and I are moving there. My fiance is there now and I will join him in August. He was lucky enough to have his company move us there. I definetly think it is your frame of mind that can make a move to Maui a successful one; or not. I lived on Kauai when I was in high school and have been to Maui about a million and one times so, I know what to expect. I do remember how expensive it was, even though I didnt have to worry about it because I was younger. We're moving there with the idea "less is more". It's just us two and our dog and cat. Our only issue is finding a place to rent that accepts pets. Other than that, I have NO PROBLEM with living a simpler, laid back lifestyle. We are both outdoorsy people. I cant wait to camp, hike and explore the island away! I remember when I lived on Kauai, it dosnt matter what you drive, what name brand clothes you have or your social status... it just dosnt matter...

Any of you still there?? Are you loving it??
We love Maui...pet friendly rentals...Kihei Villages, only 1 pet 'legally' allowed, some have 2 pets grandfathered in. Southpointe Condos just down the road from Kihei Villages allow two pets and lower units have yards. Well...that's about it for now. Oh yeah...it's all doable w/groceries and the like. Lots of farmers markets...
a hui hou.
Koale

Old 07-18-2011, 08:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,776 times
I'm a nurse practitioner and own a very successful minor emergency clinic in Texas. My husband and I live on Padre Island and are very much into the beach and nature. I just returned from Maui and I LOVE IT. The housing prices are amazingly expensive, but we could definitely downsize if it meant a view of that beautiful blue water. I found out that nurse practitioners have full independence there and I was wondering if there is a doctor shortage? My clinic focuses on patients who are uninsured and vacationers to the island - my prices are about 1/2 less than the other urgent care clinics and I offer the SAME services...I do everything a doctor does. Could someone tell me if a clinic like that is needed in West Maui? I could easily get something like that up and running - I'm already credentialed with the insurance companies.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:56 PM

521 posts, read 1,152,813 times
YOu should do it then Padre Islander.. Yes, Maui is beautiful. Maui no ka oi is the saying.. there's nothing better than Maui, is what it means.
Lived upcountry one summer, loved it! People are nice there.. it's less congested than Oahu, but not so far to travel as the big island... great beaches too... more safe swimming there, i'd say than the north shore oahu, or big island... You got more bays, If you like wind surfing you'll be in heaven.
Start a clinic there, I bet the people wud need it... maybe contact a dr there, and see if they need such a thing. buena suerte.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:15 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,368,130 times
Talking about living on Maui. It's driving around in your auto for the beaches. Small time shopping trips. Playing golf many times at golf courses. Playing around on boat soaking up the sun and water sports. Sports deep sea fishing. Dinning out at Maui hotel resorts. Air charter service with helicopters. Hawaii Island music enjoyment. This is how I plan to utilize Maui home. Good?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui