Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 10:54 PM

19 posts, read 174,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawiii1 View Post
Maui Prep.
Are you familiar with Maui Prep?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 03:01 AM

4 posts, read 16,005 times
vsimmons:
Aloha! We live in central maui. I have had children at Wailuku, Waihee, Iao (middle) and Kihei Charter. I caution you with Kihei Charter.
If your children are bright, get them involved in honors program if possible. Middle schools are horrible! Anywhere you go they are horrible. I have friends in remote northern california and they are experiencing the same issues that we have here!

My neighbor had their child at K. Hou. It didnt work for them. The commute to Kihei from Wailuku is fast. Both my husband and I drive it every day, about 20-30 minutes.

Old 06-02-2007, 03:11 AM

4 posts, read 16,005 times
We have a two-year old, an 8th grader and 11th grader.
Montessori is lovely for the 2 year old. Kamalii is nice in Kihei, we really have enjoyed Wailuku more than Waihee. I hear mixed reviews about Lihikai.

Lokelani in Kihei is decent, Iao and Maui Waena in Central Maui are ok. Christ the King has a good program I hear, as does St Anthony is you can afford it. I have never heard anyone say anything negative about Emmanuel Lutheran.
Be advised! The kids will need TB test for clearance to enter schools.

Kihei has a very California feel. Upcountry is nice, can be a little anglo. Wailuku is more local, philippino, japanese, and haole. Kahului, more phillipino and local. There are several NEW schools being built close to Baldwin (for elementary). Kehalani will have one in a year or so and Maui Lani opens this year.
If you are interested, I have a friend who is moving back to the mainland. She has a lovely 3 bedroom, 2 bath home with garage for rent.

What is it like to "live" in Hawaii as opposed to "visit."
This is a funny question. It is expensive! Food is high, so is gas. It is easy to do all the same things that you would do anywhere else. Dance classes, soccer, etc. There is great weather most of the year. However, I would recommend heartily making sure you spend some time going to the beach, hana, etc. Make it fun!

Last edited by tolmom; 06-02-2007 at 03:12 AM.. Reason: want to italicize their words

Old 06-03-2007, 11:26 PM

19 posts, read 174,143 times
[quote=tolmom;814854][i]If you are interested, I have a friend who is moving back to the mainland. She has a lovely 3 bedroom, 2 bath home with garage for rent.

QUOTE]

What area is the home located in and how much is the rent? Also, is your friend okay with a three year lease? Once we move in, we'd like to be settled for the duration we are there.

If these questions are too personal, email me the answers directly.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:02 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,052,374 times
Yes, please use PMs or email to correspond further about that.

Thanks.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:42 AM

6 posts, read 19,675 times
Ka'ahumanu Hou has some wonderful teachers. My friends daughter has gone there for a few years and loves it. It is like a family there. Very sweet environment. Definately a strong Christian school. Best to you on your decision!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui