Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2019, 05:58 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,850,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Private companies can censor all they want. Even this forum which is privately owned can remove your posts if they so choose and ban you to boot.
Bingo.

If a company decides they don't want to spread Nazi propaganda, so be it.

Their company. Their choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2019, 07:03 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,848,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I think Steven Anderson's channel applies, being that he advocates the death penalty for LGBT people.

Anyways, conservatives still have GodTube. I also believe Vimeo is more lenient on what can be posted compared to YouTube.
Well of course such s*i* as that should be banned if they are blatantly calling for killing anyone including LGBT people, the President, conservatives etc.

The thing is, any opinion that is not leftist enough will be labeled as racist, dangerous, not appropriate.

I couldn't find this video on YT. It may be there and I missed it. If anyone believes that YT is not attempting to filter what information gets out to the public and control what you are allowed to know, then you are naive or either stupid, or compliant because your side is still being heard.

Saw this on Twitter, couldn't find it on YT.

https://twitter.com/M2Madness/status...42159524343808

Old 06-06-2019, 07:33 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Yes it is an infringement, but of a different sort than what the constitution spells out. While private companies are able to do most things compared with the government, social media has become so powerful that ideological control of it (especially when the government has some involvement with/ over it) can be censorship if only one political/ideological perspective can be freely viewed.

I agree, and with most of these companies wanting to label anything not liberal/leftist as racism, hate speech, etc., it poses a great threat to how information is disseminated.

`
Like the owner of Standard Oil, refusing product to his political foes. Using his influence, who gets and who doesn't, to manipulate the public.

Old 06-06-2019, 07:34 AM

78,453 posts, read 60,652,129 times
If your product skews left or right, eventually that void will be filled by a competitor and you'll lose a lot of viewers\users.

This makes for a very slippery slope for Youtube etc. not because they don't have the right but if they open a major door to a competitor.

Also, depending how the winds of political change blow there is always the chance that you get the headaches of federal regulatory investigations along with a brutal dog and pony show in front of the Senate which we've seen both parties do over the years.

Old 06-06-2019, 07:39 AM

50,330 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I think Steven Anderson's channel applies, being that he advocates the death penalty for LGBT people.

Anyways, conservatives still have GodTube. I also believe Vimeo is more lenient on what can be posted compared to YouTube.
Surely you have documentation of this,,, right?

Old 06-06-2019, 07:55 AM

5,731 posts, read 2,196,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
Well of course such s*i* as that should be banned if they are blatantly calling for killing anyone including LGBT people, the President, conservatives etc.

The thing is, any opinion that is not leftist enough will be labeled as racist, dangerous, not appropriate.

I couldn't find this video on YT. It may be there and I missed it. If anyone believes that YT is not attempting to filter what information gets out to the public and control what you are allowed to know, then you are naive or either stupid, or compliant because your side is still being heard.

Saw this on Twitter, couldn't find it on YT.

https://twitter.com/M2Madness/status...42159524343808
WTF. Is it liberal now to act like this and promote and support censorship? They have really went off the deep side, these people have a sickness.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:08 AM

5,731 posts, read 2,196,360 times
If you are a conservative and effective in your message you will be “de-platformed”. This plan has been expedited with Hillary losing the election but has been in the works for some time. Alex Jones and (mostly) Roger Stone were very effective exposing the left and Hillary Clinton leading up to the 2016 election. Jones has since been deplatformed by the tech oligopoly and Roger was throw in jail by the police state.

They want the corporate owned media oligopoly to tell us what the news is without competition from the free thinking individuals. I like the free world better than state controlled communist state like China,Russia,NK. I don’t want to be told what we can and cannot say, who we can listen to, let the best ideas win out. Our corporate owned media and tech companies want all the control, and because they target conservatives (for now), liberals are happy to give it to them. Once conservatives are sufficiently silenced, what next?

Old 06-06-2019, 08:11 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,420,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
If you are a conservative and effective in your message you will be “de-platformed”. This is a result of Hillary losing the election. Alex Jones and (mostly) Roger Stone we’re very effective exposing the left and Hillary Clinton leading up to the 2016 election. Jones has since been deplatformed by the tech oligopoly and Roger was throw in jail by the police state.

They want the corporate owned media oligopoly to tell us what the news is without competition from the free thinking individuals. I like the free world better than state controlled communist state like China,Russia,NK. I don’t want to be told what we can and cannot say, who we can listen to, let the best ideas win out. Our corporate owned media and tech companies want all the control, and because they target conservatives (for now), liberals are happy to give it to them. Once conservatives are sufficiently silenced, what next?
Good grief what a load of hogwash.

Alex Jones is not a "freethinking individual".

He is a huckster who makes money by peddling sensationalist conspiracy theories he knows low info people will lap up, same as Glenn Beck.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:27 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,221,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
So, if a bakery..a private company, decides to "censor all they want" a certain segment of the population, they can do so because the bakery is "privately owned"?
Bakeries are free to censor what items they sell. They are not required to sell every baked good in existence. Just like youtube is not required to host every video made. Neither can refuse to let others buy/watch the items/videos that they do offer.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:30 AM

5,302 posts, read 2,357,667 times
They have the right to do it, but it’s still concerning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media