Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 09:12 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,050,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Yeah you get it. Intelligent people research and don't believe anything 100% on either side. I really like Cuomo on CNN. He has Republican's on to tell their side and it's a respectful debate, you know, like the good old days when civility meant something.

Cuomo is one of the hosts I watch on CNN also. The others are Jake Tapper (State of the Union and The Lead), John King (Inside Politics) and Brian Stelter (Reliable Sources.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2020, 09:30 AM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
as long as MSNBC & CNN run Trump ads for free 20 hours a day I'm happy for them.

Old 02-11-2020, 09:49 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,163,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
So I guess you watch MSNBC pretty regularly to know this much about how they present the news and their opinions about it.
Technically I'm a Libertarian living and working in downtown Seattle and I've seen my share of MSNBC. So I've seen enough to formulate my opinion on this topic.

Old 02-11-2020, 01:21 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
My current cable package provides MSNBC and CNN, not Fox

That is strange, as between my service and that of friends relatives, I have never heard of having a package that includes certain news stations like CNN or MSNBC, but not having a station like Fox.
Or visa versa.

`

Old 02-11-2020, 01:42 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,050,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
That is strange, as between my service and that of friends relatives, I have never heard of having a package that includes certain news stations like CNN or MSNBC, but not having a station like Fox. Or visa versa.
I have the Economy tv tier from Optimum/Altice. It's the lowest priced cable tier they offer, and does not include any sports channels (which is fine with me). Channel lineup (news channels in bold) is:

ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, iOn, Univision, HSN, My 9, WLNY 10, CW11, (local) News 12, PBS 13 and 21, QVC 1 and 2, Telemundo, Unimas, Government Access, Public Access 20, Channel 22 (whatever that is, lol), MSNBC, CNN, Discovery, Catholic Faith, HGTV, Cartoon Network, MeTV, TNT, We, History Channel, Fuse, Animal Planet, HLN, Food Network, OTB, CSPAN/CSPAN2/CSPAN3, HSN2, Buzzr, Turner Classic Movies, EuroNews, Bloomberg TV [this is business, not regular Bloomberg News], Laff, Cozi, LiveWell, Court TV, Start TV, Movies!, Antenna TV, NY Legislative TV, WMBC, Discovery Family, Boomerang, PBS Kids, World, Create, TBN, EWTN, Daystar, JBS, HIcon, GetTV, AllArts, National Geographic, Aspire, Reelz, TVOne, Own, JPV, and a whole bunch of music channels.

In order to get Fox News, I'd have to move up to the Value tier which would be $15 more per month; not worth it to me.

Old 02-11-2020, 02:17 PM

6,346 posts, read 2,900,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I use to watch MSNBC more than I do now, but at one time they had a few reasonable news reporters.
They also had some moderate (and even a couple of conservative) political pundits sprinkled in, so as to at least appear not totally biased toward the liberal perspective.
However in more recent years their political pundits are mostly hardcore leftists, and even those who purport to be reporters/journalists seem very left leaning. This rather than be as neutral as a professional reporter/journalist should be.
Not to mention so called "reporters" giving personal psychoanalysis of the mental state of the president.

What caused me to ask this question was how the MSNBC chyron (after Trump's acquittal in the Senate) stated;

"Guilty, but acquitted"

Needless to say that is an inaccurate headline, but the powers that be at MSNBC seem more interested in being leftist/liberal activists, rather than getting the story correct.

I know some think Fox is biased to the right, but I cannot imagine them having the same chyron saying the same against Bill Clinton.

Now CNN ran a chyron saying "Trump vindictive with his speech", and while that is a subjective comment, at least it is not a flat out false statement. Biased perspective open to interpretation?
Yes
However at least it was not fake news like what MSNBC ran with.

So when you have so called news stations injecting fake news into headlines, do they really have any credibility?

`
They have been going down the tubes long before Trump. I remember during the Flint water problem one guy on there said Rick Snyder had committed genocide. it finally became unwatchable when they were doing 24/7 character assassination on Brett Kananaugh.

Old 02-11-2020, 02:18 PM

31,071 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Do you think the same of Fox News?
Fox news didn't come along until the later 90s. Before then the mainstream media had 100% of the viewership outside of radio. At that time they weren't as blatantly biased as now. Besides the fact that we had mainstream media leads breaking down and crying when Hillary lost. And the predicted collapse of the US economy under Trump never came

Old 02-11-2020, 03:00 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
As problematic as Fox News can sometimes be, the specter of a broadcast and cable press which is completely Left (as opposed to the current 75%), were Fox to disappear, is even more dangerous to our system, in which a diversity of views is purportedly encouraged and free speech defended.

Old 02-11-2020, 04:48 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
As problematic as Fox News can sometimes be, the specter of a broadcast and cable press which is completely Left (as opposed to the current 75%), were Fox to disappear, is even more dangerous to our system, in which a diversity of views is purportedly encouraged and free speech defended.
That is a good point.

I am not sure you can call Fox's news division right wing, only most of their political pundits.
Regardless, moderate to right leaning media is severely outnumbered, and a "free press" should have a balance.

Our Founding Fathers probably never envisioned state run media could be possible, but even if it is voluntary by most based on similar ideology, it is essentially the same thing.
When a (D) is potus, or key (D's) are not flying straight, the investigative journalists are in hibernation. But when a (R) potus or key figure does something suspicious, the investigate "journalists" start to swarm like locusts.

Needless to say, they is not the way it was envisioned nor suppose to be.

`

Old 02-11-2020, 07:29 PM

1,139 posts, read 449,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
You didn't say why it's an erroneous headline. Technically, he was found guilty in one chamber and then found not guilty in the second. It probably could've been better phrased as charged, but acquitted since the House acts like a grand jury and the Senate holds a trial based on the charges handed down by the House.
No he wasn't. The house determined there was enough evidence to send it to trial. They don't render any verdict of any kind. Them sending it was a red flag to any open minded person. There was no evidence Trump did anything illegal or impeachable and they knew it. That should scare even democrats, but it doesn't seem to.

The Senate then took the evidence reviewed it and determined what anyone with an IQ over 26 would. There was no evidence any crime was committed, no evidence Trump colluded or abused power and no evidence supporting any impeachable offense. They acquitted Trump. Look it up. It means he was found not guilty. Like it or not, he was found not guilty. The democrats acted in a way that was truly abusive of their power, vindictive and truthfully imbecilic.

Just for your reference:

https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/acquittal

Read it and weep. Trump was found not guilty!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media