Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2023, 01:10 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Wow, Spanish cable has some decent ratings.

Were the tv's in a workplace break room, or in a central area? Was the volume on?

22+ yrs ago, I worked in a place that had TV's in break rooms, but not anywhere else. Hardly anyone watched them.
A Network Operations Center, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_operations_center , lots of computers monitoring systems and environment all over the campus. They wanted to show others how high tech we were so the wall to the passageway behind me was glass, I was in a fish bowl.

I didn't have the volume on but did have close caption, Spanish, turned on. If there was something that interested me on the screen, I could figure it out enough to go off on the Net and get it in English. Further, after listening to them for a number of years when I did have the sound on, I no longer heard gibberish but individual foreign words

Finally, this kind of work for me started around when smart phones came on the market, so maybe the first 2 decades.

Hence, "I work 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week in a room with two big screens and 8 computer screens infront of me.......and then you expect me to go home and look at the world on a screen in my hand? I don't think so.".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2023, 02:27 AM

33,322 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Ditto. I turned the TV off in the mid 90s and haven’t missed it. Never had any desire for cable.

I read three newspapers a day for a long time, and now I hit them and more news sites online. When I do walk through the living room and my wife has on her soap opera, there are always commercials for either prescription drugs for diseases no one ever heard of that could result in your arms and legs falling off, or any one of a half dozen ambulance chasing bastard lawyers with phone numbers that are all sevens, eights, or nines, or that spell out “XXX-Shyster.”

When Walter Cronkite read the news he presented the facts, Ford or GM did a couple of 30-second spots, and you had plenty of time to make up your own mind what was happening before the next day’s broadcast. 24/7 media left a lot of dead air that had to be filled with fluff and opinion. Pass. There are a lot of books I haven’t read yet.

I actually don't mind/am not bothered by commercials except for prescription drug commercials (and I'm not on any prescription drugs).

Old 07-20-2023, 11:55 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
My whole family is off the cable tv train. Mom just gets over the air channels while the rest of us stream. One of my good friends still has one of the high tier cable packages and DVR's shows like The View and other daytime talk tv "for later viewing". I know she doesn't really watch all that much though. She also has stacks of magazines in her home "for later reading" so I guess it's just a personality trait or FOMO.

Old 07-20-2023, 01:22 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
For us the value is in the DVR, being able to record our favorite shows, and watch when it's convenient, and fast-forward through the commercials. Then there are some favorites not available without cable. For example CBUT, the CBC station out of Vancouver, B.C. Canada cannot be streamed out of the country, and we watch it a lot. With the system we have for 4 TVs and a few added streaming extras it's costing us about $150/month, not a significant hit.

Old 07-20-2023, 02:13 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
We have basic cable for the local news. An antenna is not feasible and all the stations are too far away for rabbit ears.

Old 07-20-2023, 05:35 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
...and many of them never turn on cable news stations.

CNN's ratings at horrendous, & MSNBC's are not great either. Fox does well.

Cable tv is on life support, and doesn't have near the political impact it once had.

I cut the cable chord ~10 years ago, & other than live sports, I don't miss it. Most debates are ive streamed.
It has nothing to do with 24/7 news channels, because they are available streaming as well. I had DirecTv for a long time, and finally canceled them when they hiked the price to $170, which is absurd. Now I have HULU, which has everything I need, including ESPN+, where I see all my hockey games.

Old 07-20-2023, 05:49 PM

620 posts, read 311,404 times
In this day and age, why even bother with cable?

Old 07-20-2023, 09:40 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish78 View Post
In my area, it is the only way to get any local news. I would love to give it up, but we are in tornado alley. The local weather guy is more accurate than NWS.

Old 07-21-2023, 05:27 AM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish78 View Post
Mot apartment complexes now include it in the rent, & yo dont have a choice. My Son is stuck w/ that...as are Millions of apartment dwellers.

Old 07-21-2023, 05:28 AM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1216cm View Post
Frankly I am amazed its that high (40%)

Nothing but rubbish on now!!
If they split ESPN away from the rest, subsciptions would fall by 50% I'm thinking....down to just 20%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media