Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2023, 08:07 AM

25,689 posts, read 12,772,161 times

Advertisements

...and many of them never turn on cable news stations.

CNN's ratings at horrendous, & MSNBC's are not great either. Fox does well.

Cable tv is on life support, and doesn't have near the political impact it once had.

I cut the cable chord ~10 years ago, & other than live sports, I don't miss it. Most debates are ive streamed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2023, 08:23 AM

14,760 posts, read 8,093,254 times
We cut the cable cord over a decade ago. Stream now.
I do use the cable company's broadband internet though.
And stream the cable company app through my roku's...they are now cheaper than even
Sling....and I am always a sucker for the best deal....but the day they raise my rates to some obscene amount is the
day I drop them like a hot potato. Too many streaming options out there.

Not a fan of Fox News at all, I only occasionally watch Anderson Cooper on CNN, but I like MSNBC and will try to catch an hour or two of it each day.

Old 06-15-2023, 08:34 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
I have satellite because I have three houses and an RV that I move among. One subscription covers them all. Internet is not reliable or available at one of my places and I don't want to pay Elon for occasional use of Starlink. I may end up being the last person on sat - but it works for me.

I never watch Fox news except for natural disasters which they seem to cover the best. Otherwise it is just slanted political BS like MSNBC. I do watch MSNBC though if something is happening. But they are too much all Trump all the time and I can't take that anymore.

Old 06-15-2023, 08:39 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
...and many of them never turn on cable news stations.

CNN's ratings at horrendous, & MSNBC's are not great either. Fox does well.

Cable tv is on life support, and doesn't have near the political impact it once had.

I cut the cable chord ~10 years ago, & other than live sports, I don't miss it. Most debates are ive streamed.
fox is getting beat by MSDNC now that they dumped tucker...

Old 06-15-2023, 09:05 AM

5,759 posts, read 11,358,171 times
I am a retiree from one of the larger cable TV companies, but they have evolved to become a top provider of high speed internet to homes and businesses. Sure, they still have millions of cable TV subscribers, but the majority of cord-cutters (of cable TV) keep a high speed internet connection. The key is to be a really good provider of high speed internet for the cable TV company to survive.

Old 06-15-2023, 09:16 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
We have cable TV still, mostly to get the CBC station (CBUT) out of Vancouver, B.C. Canada and MotorTrend. We have never watched any of the cable news stations like MSNBC or CNN. We only ever watch the local station news in the morning, and that's only for traffic, weather and other local news. Most of our TV watching is streaming, Netflix, Prime, and Max.

Old 06-15-2023, 09:23 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

I cut the cable chord ~10 years ago, & other than live sports, I don't miss it. ...
Good for you!

I did also some time ago.

Old 06-15-2023, 09:55 AM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times
I've gone on record many times how I cut the cable TV cord in 2010. I only get OTA channels, which is plenty, since I don't watch live TV, refuse to watch any commercials, don't watch any news, and get the specific content I want in other ways.

For news, I read APnews.com and BBC.com. For local news, there's an RSS feed.

The weather displays on my macbook and my android phone.

95% of the time my TV is off, I never turn it on just to have noise in the house. It's quiet, peaceful, I can hear the birds. One of the best decisions I ever made!

Old 06-15-2023, 10:03 AM

2,531 posts, read 3,096,958 times
NO mention of no commercials in this thread so far; why?
The main reason our household went to streaming-only is the bombardment of commercials on cable tv! We won’t even watch a free streaming service that inserts commercials into the program.
NO COMMERCIALS EVER, IN THIS HOUSEHOLD.
It makes me crazy when in a waiting room of some sort, the ubiquitous television is tuned to a commercial station. Aren’t people stupid enough already?

Old 06-15-2023, 10:04 AM

18,042 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
NO mention of no commercials in this thread so far; why?
Ahem, read the post above yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media