Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 02:30 AM

1,028 posts, read 2,338,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I heard it's filmed in Memphis and NOLA!
It's not equally split between the two. They only come to Memphis for specific location shots. The stages, etc are in Louisiana. Thank you Tennessee Film Commission and Tennessee State Legislature for failing to offer competitive incentives with Louisiana and Georgia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 11:31 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,316,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabluey View Post
It's not equally split between the two. They only come to Memphis for specific location shots. The stages, etc are in Louisiana. Thank you Tennessee Film Commission and Tennessee State Legislature for failing to offer competitive incentives with Louisiana and Georgia.
Yes, God forbid that we want big corporations to pay taxes and follow the same laws everybody else must follow.

The problem here is not with TN for trying to create an equal playing ground for all. The problem is with LA and GA for asking working class taxpayers to pick up the tab for billion-dollar film companies.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:18 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
If TN want the benefits, the have to play the game like the big boys.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:57 PM

129 posts, read 304,930 times
someone was filming something with the trolley in front of the arcade a few weeks ago and i believe they were inside the restaurant too... does anyone know what that was?

Old 06-21-2010, 02:59 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,379,478 times
I think I heard it was a movie shoot, but I could be mistaken.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:46 PM

455 posts, read 1,559,906 times
Memphis had recognition with local filming with The Firm and Great Balls Of Fire (Jerry's Sno-Cones even got that awning structure added just for the movie - it's still there and looks very '50s). But an entire series is a little different...more like the recognition as per Miami Vice and others. It does add some level of glamour for those who find something in that.

For instance, before Breaking Bad I NEVER even thought about having a desire to visit Albuquerque, NM, but now I'd admit to at least a passing interest in seeing some of the filming spots, if I just happened to be there anyway for other reasons. So this sort of thing does generate national interest in a place far beyond what might be expected.

It even creates lots of references and threads on City Data with people from all over asking about it.

However, there's a "but". If you're not a tourist, at the end of the day you've either got a real nice place to live or you don't. Albuquerque does.

Btw, New Orleans had multiple films done there or about it (Hard Times, Cincinatti Kid, Tightrope, Streetcar Named Desire and whatever). But how far has that gotten them??

Last edited by Ginsaw; 06-21-2010 at 04:17 PM..

Old 06-22-2010, 01:21 PM

201 posts, read 636,640 times
who cares where it's shot ? it's irrelvant in the larger picture of film making, it's called Memphis Beat and it's really not germane to Memphis, TN in the first place, but again, who cares ?? it's a TELEVISION show !

Memphians should be as concerned with public education and effective political leadership.

The televsion show sucks, and it sort of shows Memphis as a sucky place anyway nobody who sees that particular show is going to be 'high on Memphis'

I doubt the show will get a full run- it's bad

Old 06-24-2010, 11:50 AM

278 posts, read 993,370 times
I saw the first episode and turned it off about 10 minutes before it was over. The acting and plot was ok, but there wasn't enough action for me (being a cop show).

Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
Love It ^

Those chicks are Hawt
Have you seen "Police Women of Broward County"? Google Andrea Penoyer. If I was single, I'd be moving to Broward County right now.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:57 AM

209 posts, read 812,224 times
I watched the pilot and found it to be a bit disappointing. I liked the storyline, but the dialogue was SO lame. It felt very contrived. I don't see it lasting more than a season, which is a shame!

Old 06-24-2010, 05:25 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,338,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisenheist View Post
who cares where it's shot ? it's irrelvant in the larger picture of film making, it's called Memphis Beat and it's really not germane to Memphis, TN in the first place, but again, who cares ?? it's a TELEVISION show !

Memphians should be as concerned with public education and effective political leadership.

The televsion show sucks, and it sort of shows Memphis as a sucky place anyway nobody who sees that particular show is going to be 'high on Memphis'

I doubt the show will get a full run- it's bad
Because if one pays attention to Memphis Beat or any portrayal of Memphis in the national light, one can't possibly be concerned with public education and political leadership.

/sarcasm

lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: