Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: : Do you think that Memphis population will start to boom about 2015? Post a Poll
Yes 9 20.45%
No 29 65.91%
Maybe. 6 13.64%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 08:02 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,338,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
I'm not so sure I'd be so proud that most of Memphis' growth is happening in another state...
Regionalism should be encouraged, particularly when a downtown/CBD is geographically askew in a single state. But even without it; one thing that has hindered the region is the petty in-region cannibalism. Thankfully, that is decreasing. There is less parasitic siphoning off; recently two stories of Mississippi getting a relocation from Memphis. But counter that with the announcements of brand new projects to the region. That should be the primary focus. Bring in the Toyota. Bring in the Hino. Bring in the solar array. I think that is the seed that Wharton tried to plant when he attended the Desoto Chamber of Commerce. Hopefully everyone throughout the region will buy in.

Though I'm a Tiger fan first, I'd love to see Ole Miss improve itself as an academic research institution. Not just OM, but Ark State too. Jonesboro is essentially in the extended metro, if not officially.

If it's a situation like Pinnacle, where you know they're going to stay in the metro, sure go after them if you can. But don't let that competition for one prize prevent you from participating and contributing to the regional effort. It's a cutthroat war out there, and other regions like DFW have recognized the benefits and necessity of a regional approach.

Hopefully we're getting there. I remember Memphis Chamber of Commerce offered a lot of support to Marion in their quest for automotive tenants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 10:29 AM

201 posts, read 636,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ryall View Post
Why should that bother me? The only reason that's the current trend now is because of incentives at the state level. Mississippi can by law give ca$h advances to companies to expand & relocate. During a time of recession competition is fierce and MS wants to play ball. Haley Barbour is a capital investment machine that will take a piece of Phil Bredesen's ass, no doubt.

MISSISSIPPI must be the absolutely worst state in these United States

it remains at the bottom, it sucks, its poor, it's backward, it's repressive, it's racist and anti-Semitic as it gets

screw MISSISSIPPI

Old 08-07-2010, 01:15 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,516,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisenheist View Post
MISSISSIPPI must be the absolutely worst state in these United States

it remains at the bottom, it sucks, its poor, it's backward, it's repressive, it's racist and anti-Semitic as it gets

screw MISSISSIPPI
It's also the fattest. I went (was dragged) to the annual flea market crafts fair in Canton Ms. and was shocked, even as a Memphian at the obesity among the young people. The entire event ran out of food by 1:00 PM, we didn't even get to eat lunch, the land whales had already sucked it all down. I'm talking about mothers in their 20s, pushing strollers and wearing huge flesh aprons around their waists. It was disgusting.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:11 PM

6 posts, read 10,648 times
Depends on what you mean by boom. They are booming now, just with gun shots and crack houses blowing up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis