Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 08:57 AM

65 posts, read 94,775 times

Advertisements

I appreciate reading the data provided here and looking for more detail about the Memphis suburbs for families with kids in Jr. High/High School. Could you tell me about the social and political climate in this area? Welcoming to new kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 07:22 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,958,591 times
The suburbs tend to be more conservative like the rest of the state. If your teen attends a large high school, he or she should be able to find friends no matter what kind of political or cultural background they have. It may be hard or frightening the first half of the year, but they'll eventually find friends in classes.

What schools were you looking at?

Old 12-24-2011, 09:58 PM

Collierville, Houston, and Germantown for starters. We haven't experience with private schools so it doesn't always occur to me to look at them unless the test scores for available public schools are poor. Schools with strong academics is a priority, so any advice in that area is very helpful.
It looks like on the city data election section that this area voted democratic the past two presidential cycles. In what way is the area conservative if voting democratic?

Old 12-25-2011, 01:11 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,748,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace316 View Post
Collierville, Houston, and Germantown for starters. We haven't experience with private schools so it doesn't always occur to me to look at them unless the test scores for available public schools are poor. Schools with strong academics is a priority, so any advice in that area is very helpful.
It looks like on the city data election section that this area voted democratic the past two presidential cycles. In what way is the area conservative if voting democratic?
That info is for Shelby County as a whole, which always votes democrat. Shelby County is not what I'd call liberal though because most of the democrat vote comes from African-Americans, who are socially conservative despite voting democratic.

Germantown & especially Collierville are conservative. They're not as conservative as small towns in TN, but they're still far more conservative than liberal. If you want true liberal, you'd have to look into Midtown Memphis. East Memphis might work too, but it's more moderate than liberal. The most widely-known liberal school is White Station, in East Memphis. It has a diverse student body, many of which are not Christian (many Jewish students) It's a public school, but it also has an optional program which is highly regarded. I think you should look into it if you want your kids to be around a more liberal student body

Old 12-26-2011, 09:45 PM

Not interested in my kids being around liberals. Looking for conservatives. Thanks for the information.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:59 PM

^ Well then Collierville & Germantown would work, but like I said, they're not as conservative as small towns in TN. For example, prayer in school would never fly in Germantown or Collierville, but many small towns allow it.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:33 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,958,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
^ Well then Collierville & Germantown would work, but like I said, they're not as conservative as small towns in TN. For example, prayer in school would never fly in Germantown or Collierville, but many small towns allow it.
Prayer wouldn't be going on in class, but there are some student groups that pray regularly at school. You can't go wrong with schools in Germantown or Collierville.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
Prayer wouldn't be going on in class, but there are some student groups that pray regularly at school. You can't go wrong with schools in Germantown or Collierville.
I meant prayer/reading Bible verses over the intercom. They used to do it at Munford High School as recently as 2006, but they stopped doing it. I'm sure it still goes on in smaller towns throughout TN, but I could never see that kind of thing happening at Collierville or Germantown, even though they are pretty conservative.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:28 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Better not let the ACLU hear about that. They've had a field day with schools around Nashville.

As to the OP, the above-mentioned county schools would be fine choices.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:13 AM

What is the social culture of Germantown and Collierville like? We live in the midwest now so I'm unfamiliar with southern culture. It does look like these are both great schools. Any nuances about the communities would be helpful. Thanks again. You have provided interesting information already. We are conservatives living in a liberal area now, so it is very familiar to us. Very secular, no Pledge of Allegiance in the schools. If the job is going to require relocation, I think it would be nice to be around more like minded people which is why I ask about the political climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis