Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2012, 07:53 PM

230 posts, read 386,112 times

Advertisements

I have applied for a job in Memphis. I grew up in Tennessee, an hour north of Huntsville, AL, though I've only been to Memphis once, and have lived outside of the state for a decade. I am interested in cities/neighborhoods that are racially diverse, full of independently owned shops and restaurants and bars. I'm looking for progressive areas a la farmers markets, thrift stores, record stores, walkable, urban, community oriented. Does this exist in Memphis? I loathe the suburbs and would only consider pre-war, urbanized, historic inner ring suburbs. The more hole in the wall restaurants and bars, the better. Any insight would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 08:50 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,238,441 times
I don't live in Memphis, but I have been actively researching the area in preparation to get down there in August. Sounds like you want to look in Midtown: Cooper-Young, Overton Park area, Central Gardens, Broad Avenue.

Also check out this article: An Indie Music Scene in Midtown Memphis - NYTimes.com

There are lots of people on this forum that will know better than me but I thought I'd share what knowledge I have collected.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:31 PM

506 posts, read 1,011,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer33 View Post
I have applied for a job in Memphis. I grew up in Tennessee, an hour north of Huntsville, AL, though I've only been to Memphis once, and have lived outside of the state for a decade. I am interested in cities/neighborhoods that are racially diverse, full of independently owned shops and restaurants and bars. I'm looking for progressive areas a la farmers markets, thrift stores, record stores, walkable, urban, community oriented. Does this exist in Memphis? I loathe the suburbs and would only consider pre-war, urbanized, historic inner ring suburbs. The more hole in the wall restaurants and bars, the better. Any insight would be appreciated.
Midtown

Old 03-22-2012, 12:17 AM

191 posts, read 303,824 times
South Main.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:12 AM

230 posts, read 386,112 times
jabogitlu, thanks for the article. Does Memphis have official neighborhood boundaries and designations, or is it fluid? What are home prices like in Midtown? I've done a quick real estate search and some solid, interesting homes can be had for 25k in many parts of the city, it seems. How is public transit?

Last edited by trailblazer33; 03-22-2012 at 07:22 AM.. Reason: add a question

Old 03-25-2012, 04:47 PM

8 posts, read 18,398 times
Public transport is something you would only use if you didnt have a car.. its a driving kind of place. Mid town sound like the kind of place you might like, cooper-young area.. harbortown is kind of walkable to beale st, with lots of lovely bars and restaurants along the way, it has a trolly on the other side of the tracks after the bridge that links mud island to the city too which is pretty its safer and cleaner, and much nicer than midtown I think.. good luck!

Old 03-26-2012, 11:19 AM

506 posts, read 1,011,802 times
Though downtown and midtown are going to be walkable for some day-to-day needs, you basically must have a car if you live in Memphis.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:37 AM

Bikes Belong Selects Six Cities to Fast Track Protected Bike Lanes | Streetsblog Capitol Hill

Memphis is going to be receiving some major assistance in getting physically protected cycling infrastructure off the ground. To the OP, you'll probably want to watch what Memphis does with its Midtown neighborhoods in the coming months, planning-wise. I'm sure these developments will occur in the most walkable, urban and community-oriented areas.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:11 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,053,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Bikes Belong Selects Six Cities to Fast Track Protected Bike Lanes | Streetsblog Capitol Hill

Memphis is going to be receiving some major assistance in getting physically protected cycling infrastructure off the ground. To the OP, you'll probably want to watch what Memphis does with its Midtown neighborhoods in the coming months, planning-wise. I'm sure these developments will occur in the most walkable, urban and community-oriented areas.

Did you move to Memphis yet?

Old 04-06-2012, 02:00 PM

Nope, my undergrad classes don't wrap up till Aug 10. Gonna try to be settled into Memphis, somewhere, late July and finally move permanently sometime in August.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: