Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 09:32 AM

2 posts, read 11,694 times

Advertisements

My fiance' I and our 18 month old daughter are considering moving to Shelby County.. We are from a very country like small town setting, and advice on where to live that will be safe enough and offer family oriented things to do? Is the crime really as bad as people say? The crime could be enough to deter our move so PLEASE be HONEST!!

Old 01-06-2008, 10:44 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,378,224 times
Well, crime is really bad in Memphis, yes. Out in the county of course, not so much. Although basically all of Shebly is "city" now, not rural. Why do you want to move here? Like I just replied to someone else, Memphis seems like such an odd choice if you don't already have a job lined up here, or you don't have family here. If you enjoy rural, country life...Memphis will probably not make you happy. It's very urban.

There are plenty of upscale places to live in the suburbs. Some can be very costly though. Germantown, Collierville, Lakeland/Arlington even. These are all eastern suburbs. Maybe even live in AR or MS and commute, if you plan on working in Memphis.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:02 PM

190 posts, read 649,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
Well, crime is really bad in Memphis, yes. Out in the county of course, not so much. Although basically all of Shebly is "city" now, not rural. Why do you want to move here? Like I just replied to someone else, Memphis seems like such an odd choice if you don't already have a job lined up here, or you don't have family here. If you enjoy rural, country life...Memphis will probably not make you happy. It's very urban.

There are plenty of upscale places to live in the suburbs. Some can be very costly though. Germantown, Collierville, Lakeland/Arlington even. These are all eastern suburbs. Maybe even live in AR or MS and commute, if you plan on working in Memphis.
I never hear much about getting out of the county, east of Collierville. Rossville and Piperton are worthy of consideration and much more rurual, and with the new opening of I385 at the Piperton Exit, it opens up a commute into the city if needed.

I-385 is open up in the Arlington area as well and gives good access to the Interstate.

Yes getting more east in the county provides a shelter from some of the crime in the city. I am sure you can find suitable options in those areas mentioned in earlier posts. Not sure about AR and commuting in from there although many do. Just too many trucks on those roads and bridges.

Old 01-06-2008, 01:50 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,378,224 times
If you're not dead-set on Shelby Co (??? why) you can easily live in a close county and commute. A lot of people do that.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:40 PM

190 posts, read 649,944 times
Default Photos North, East and South of Memphis

Thought these may add to this thread and anyothers that are looking into areas around the county. I may not be totally accurate on the descriptions but they do show the flat terrain, all pretty good areas to live.

South View, taken from Goodman Road/Germantown Road South in Olive Branch MS, looking east towards Memphis, about 30 miles from the city

http://www.laj-bus-assoc.com/posts/southcounty.jpg (broken link)

East View, taken from the Collierville/Piperton exit on I385, looking north towards Arlington, about 35 miles from the city.

http://www.laj-bus-assoc.com/posts/eastcounty.jpg (broken link)

North View, taken from Route 64 and Houston Levee Road, looking east. About 25 miles from the city of Memphis

http://www.laj-bus-assoc.com/posts/northcounty.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-06-2008, 04:10 PM

340 posts, read 1,314,736 times
How much are you wanting to spend for housing? If you are buying, you can get more options at a lower cost in Bartlett than in Lakeland/Arlington/Germantown/Collierville. There are some more high dollar areas ($250,000 to $400,000) in Barlett, but there are plenty of homes in safe neighborhoods for $120,000 to $200,000. Bartlett is closer in to Memphis than Arlington and Lakeland and does border some areas of Memphis that are getting sketchier. You would be more likely to experience some property crime issues there, but it is certainly not a regular occurance and I don't know anyone who lives in those areas who feel unsafe in their neighborhoods.

If you want to avoid that, it would be wise to avoid the areas to the along the west and southwest sides of Bartlett. The northwest side also borders Memphis, but that area is pretty sparsely populated on the Memphis side. Again, I know people who live in those areas, love their neighborhoods, and have no concerns (at least not any more than anyone in the suburban areas) about being a victim of crime.

If you want a more rural feel, then Arlington or parts of Millington in Shelby County would be better, as would Tipton County, Fayette County, or Desoto County (outside of Southaven).

Pearlbob is right about the crime though. I don't know of any place you can live in this area and not hear about an occasional burglary (home, business, or vehicle) in your general area. The violent crime is usually in areas far away from the suburbs and the better parts of Memphis, but it still is a part of life and does occasionally visit all of the suburbs. I can vouch for the fact that the Bartlett Police Department is ever vigilant and very responsive to criminal activity.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:37 PM

2 posts, read 11,664 times
In regards to curbysgal. The job is for the city of memphis fire department. Thats why the move is being considered.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:21 PM

340 posts, read 1,314,736 times
I know several Memphis Fire Fighters who live in Bartlett and Arlington. No doubt there are some in the other suburbs as well. If you take the job, I'm sure they could let you know what they think of the area and where to live. Am I correct in assuming you have to live in Shelby County to work for the Fire Department?

Old 01-06-2008, 08:18 PM

2 posts, read 11,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofMGrad92 View Post
I know several Memphis Fire Fighters who live in Bartlett and Arlington. No doubt there are some in the other suburbs as well. If you take the job, I'm sure they could let you know what they think of the area and where to live. Am I correct in assuming you have to live in Shelby County to work for the Fire Department?

yea, u do. and its a matter of finding a place rather quickly. we've considered "the preserve at southwind" for a starter apartment for a year to feel out the area. just want to make sure its a good choice, some from memphis have recommened cordova and such apartments.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:52 PM

2 posts, read 11,694 times
Default Thanks for the response

Thank you to everyone for responding.. and the honesty is greatly appreciated I have found in searching for apartments in Shelby County when I ask about the safety I keep getting the response, "Well, crime is everywhere".. This is alarming to me that they can't even tell me they are generally safe places.. Can you tell me if you think Germantown is safe? That is the general area of the Preserves at Southwind, which I am told is considered Memphis and exactly how close to the city crime is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis