Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 07:45 PM

70 posts, read 300,663 times

Advertisements

Mac,
Regarding taxes in the Memphis area, here is a link that will allow you to plug in your location and appraised value to determine what property taxes will be. All areas of Shelby County pay Shelby County property taxes, but the cities do have different rates of property tax as well. They are both available on this link. Best of all, there is currently no state income tax.

Shelby County Assessor of Property
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 08:59 AM

232 posts, read 565,583 times
Default Retirement in the Memphis area...

PearlBob... Thanks for the hint on the South Main Arts District, I'll give it a look to see what's available.

Bidney... Those links will be handy. I'll go back and find some of the homes I was looking at and see what sort of taxes I could expect.

Cheers,

Mac

Old 02-04-2008, 09:24 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,376,311 times
Well, it was sort of a tongue in cheek comment on my part. The South Main area WAS voted one of the best places to retire, but personally I think that's laughable. The area is nice for younger folk, bars, restaurants, but it's also downtown which is very touristy, there is no grocery store nearby, and at night there is an influx of young urban kids who cruise around downtown being loud and annoying. The South Main area has a huge condo boom several years ago...which burst when the real estate market crashed. They can't sell the places they built, and for some reason they keep building more. I think a lot of people realized...why live in an area that isn't doing anything to promote residential necessities, like a gas station, a grocery store, etc? They are doing better little by little, but it's taken time.

When I think of retirement, although I too would want to live somewhere in a major city so I can be near ammenities, I sure would not want to live in South Main in a condo with 5000 other condo units around me, a ton of twenty-something-year-olds around me, people out all night drinking and coming home late waking me up, right near an active trainyard, etc etc.

Check it out, it might be for you...but that's my opinion. I think the main reason it was voted high is because it is RELATIVELY cheap compared to condos in downtown areas of other cities.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:50 AM

232 posts, read 565,583 times
Default South Main Area

PearlBob,

I hadn't realized that you were saying that tongue-in-cheek, so went and checked out some of the condos for sale. After looking for an hour or so, I came to the conclusion that your tastes in living were considerably different than mine!! I didn't spend any more time looking at them.

We're just looking for a smallish house that would allow children/grandchildren to visit, but still small enough that we could easily take care of it. Ditto for the yard...yardwork is a necessary evil to me, not a hobby. Wouldn't really want to be in the middle of a ton of young families with a bunch of kids either who would look at me as "that creepy old guy". An established neighborhood with middle age folks (these days "middle age" is 45-65 or so) would be perfect. The time we lived in the U.S. for a while, we had a place like that in Virginia Beach, but didn't really like the area -- was there for the job, not because I liked it.

I realize there aren't that many areas within that description, but I'll eventually find one....it's only a matter of time.

Cheers,

Mac

Old 02-19-2008, 08:46 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,376,311 times
the area was voted a top 10 place to retire in the US. That's the truth. Whether you or I agree with that or not is irrelevant. I think it can be a good area, if you an artsy person with no kids who likes urban living.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomac View Post
PearlBob,

I hadn't realized that you were saying that tongue-in-cheek, so went and checked out some of the condos for sale. After looking for an hour or so, I came to the conclusion that your tastes in living were considerably different than mine!! I didn't spend any more time looking at them.

We're just looking for a smallish house that would allow children/grandchildren to visit, but still small enough that we could easily take care of it. Ditto for the yard...yardwork is a necessary evil to me, not a hobby. Wouldn't really want to be in the middle of a ton of young families with a bunch of kids either who would look at me as "that creepy old guy". An established neighborhood with middle age folks (these days "middle age" is 45-65 or so) would be perfect. The time we lived in the U.S. for a while, we had a place like that in Virginia Beach, but didn't really like the area -- was there for the job, not because I liked it.

I realize there aren't that many areas within that description, but I'll eventually find one....it's only a matter of time.

Cheers,

Mac
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis