Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 10:55 PM

7 posts, read 29,679 times

Advertisements

I am new to this site but many of the comments made about Memphis are quite troublesome. I was born and raised in Memphis and while there are many things about the city I do not like, I can always make the arguement that there are great things happening as well. Further, I feel as if many of the comments being made are superficial and do not really utilize critical thinking skills. For example, it has been said that many times, the schools in Memphis are horrid. While I agree with this statement to a certain degree, I feel as if we should be pushing ourselves a little harder to ask the tough question of why? I am pretty sure that many people will bring up the intense race issue that is pervasive throughout our city, but again we need to dig a little deeper. How about we grapple with the idea of residual remenants of previous inequalities that are still relevant? What can we do as a community to help alleviate the pains of a failing school system? Critical examination by mature adults who are willing to invest a little bit of mental capacity into the subject is necessary. I love Memphis but I truly wish that we would engage each other on an elevated level that moves us from broad personal assertions to the root of issues that exist in our great city. We should not make peace with mediocrity and as citizens I think we have. We should not put up with foolishness from our government among other things. We need to get passionate about Memphis because I don't know about many of you, but Memphis is my home. I am connected in more ways than I know to this city which produced my parents. I value that and I want to see the city do much better so that my children will be able to proudly say that they are from Memphis, TN.

Just a few thoughts. Please respond if you feel moved to do so.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:53 AM

17 posts, read 88,725 times
Red face Change of pace?

It is refreshing to hear a positive comments about the city. Although I'm not from Memphis. I have yet to tire of the BBQ. I also love the Zoo, the Botanical Gardens, Dixon Gallery, the Golf Courses, and of course Shelby Farms is the family hang out. I appreciate the good mix of rural and urban feel the city offers. Not too slow and not too fast. I hear people complain about the traffic; crime; etc. Clearly these people have not been to other urban areas (i.e. Houston, New Orleans, Chicago...). I have lived in different areas both urban and rural and I have found that is all about what you make of it. I also have found often that people who complain do little to change or make a difference. Running is not making a difference. The problems associated with this city is not just a local problem but a national one. It seems everyone want to point fingers and play the blame game but what are YOU doing to make a difference?

Old 03-25-2008, 07:52 AM

142 posts, read 638,251 times
cardinalgurl, I don't want to pile on, but I find it telling that you start a thread "Why I love Memphis," yet don't really say "why" you love Memphis...mostly you mention the bad things about the city.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:56 AM

142 posts, read 638,251 times
Clearly these people have not been to other urban areas (i.e. Houston, New Orleans, Chicago...).

Memphis actually ranks worse, per capita, than those areas in many categories, and has for years.

what are YOU doing to make a difference?

I moved to an area where people DO make a difference. They fight crime, don't blame in on race...they work together to push out the bad people, no matter their color. Unfortunately I believe that Memphis is beyond hope...but I commend you for your effort and wish you the best of luck.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:57 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,978,509 times
I hate Memphis for cultural reasons. Im not running from crime or coruption. I do enjoy being around people that feel good about their city. I will never critisize anyone for expressing the love for their home town. Thanks for the post.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:07 PM

7 posts, read 29,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnative View Post
cardinalgurl, I don't want to pile on, but I find it telling that you start a thread "Why I love Memphis," yet don't really say "why" you love Memphis...mostly you mention the bad things about the city.
That was the whole point. What I really want to talk about goes deeper than my love of the city but I think if I would have named it "Real conversations start here" or something like that, my responses would simply be lists. The challenge is to go deeper. I think the type of critical inquiry I am seeking is a good thing.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:48 PM

100 posts, read 486,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalgurl0408 View Post
How about we grapple with the idea of residual remenants of previous inequalities that are still relevant?

Being from Memphis, I recognize the racial code for "it's the white people's fault."

Old 03-27-2008, 01:14 PM

28 posts, read 90,786 times
Memphis definitely has more than it's share of problems but I choose to see the glass half full and emphasize the good things. I live in a friendly, beautiful neighborhood in midtown with huge trees, fabulous old homes, and very low crime. The neighbors all know and watch out for each other. We have numerous neighborhood events, a fall picnic, a Christmas party, Garden Club, Neighborhood Association get-togethers and clean up the neighborhood days where many of our families clean and plant in the common areas. Our neighborhood has a wide variety of ages, ethnic back grounds and incomes and most people participate in one way or another. On nice days there are always children playing outside and more than a few walkers and joggers taking to the streets. All 3 of our children attended our neighborhood school, Snowden, and received a wonderful education. Our youngest is still there. The 2 older kids both attend private colleges after being rewarded substantial scholarships. Unfortunately not all Memphis City Schools are of the caliber of Snowden, White Station, Grahamwood, Ridgeway, Central, ect. but I know from personal experience and the experiences of friends that private schools are not the only option in Memphis. Parents MUST be involved, know their children’s teachers, know their friends, set limits and enforce rules in order for their children to succeed. It may take a village to raise a child but you have to take know what’s going on in your own hut first. I know I’m fortunate to live where I do but I’m not complacent. I make it a point to be involved in my neighborhood, volunteer in my children’s schools and at church. If everyone would just do a little extra they could make their little part of Memphis a better place.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:30 PM

309 posts, read 900,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalorax View Post
It is refreshing to hear a positive comments about the city. Although I'm not from Memphis. I have yet to tire of the BBQ. I also love the Zoo, the Botanical Gardens, Dixon Gallery, the Golf Courses, and of course Shelby Farms is the family hang out. I appreciate the good mix of rural and urban feel the city offers. Not too slow and not too fast. I hear people complain about the traffic; crime; etc. Clearly these people have not been to other urban areas (i.e. Houston, New Orleans, Chicago...). I have lived in different areas both urban and rural and I have found that is all about what you make of it. I also have found often that people who complain do little to change or make a difference. Running is not making a difference. The problems associated with this city is not just a local problem but a national one. It seems everyone want to point fingers and play the blame game but what are YOU doing to make a difference?
Shelby Farms is the family hang out huh. Thank God they're going to do more with it soon. Its a gigantic meadow with some lakes scattered around.
Its a lot of wasted space. I hope the plans to flesh it out will include looking at other parks around the world. Memphis is a proud city but you have to watch that. You should have something that is truly worth pride. Its nice to be patriotic to your city but work on it so that its deserving. Memphis has its merits but it has a lot of work to do. The race issue will take a WHOLE lot of work.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:33 AM

774 posts, read 2,583,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psi2007 View Post
Its a gigantic meadow with some lakes scattered around.
Its a lot of wasted space..

If these are your feelings about pristine nature, you might want to avoid Yellowstone, Rocky Mountain National.........oh heck, any national park. Why nature in all its glory bothers people, I will never get. Space where people (particularly kids) can see nature without it having been plowed over, paved over and developed by humans is never wasted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis