Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 08:06 AM

421 posts, read 1,691,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
Mr????????
No,it couldn't be....

Old 05-18-2007, 08:07 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,832,292 times
Visit the Craigslist and go to Memphis. You can see the city idiots in action.

Old 05-18-2007, 01:39 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,379,478 times
How did I get brought up into this? I have said that there is crime in all parts of the city (I guess I have said that?) but I certainly never said that the entire city of Memphis is really as bad as some people make it out to be. SOME areas are extremely bad, as in any city. But there are some areas that are not any more dangerous than any other part of any city in the world. Crime can happen anywhere, that's for sure. But it's ridiculous to generalize that all of Memphis has rampant crime and unrest.

Old 05-20-2007, 02:10 AM

246 posts, read 1,057,304 times
Default highliner

Someone here accused me of doing 'Touristy' things in Memphis. The only things that I and my colleagues did there, was to go door-to-door, pictures in hand, and tell selected folks that we were collecting dirtbags for interstate transport, and that there was money to be gotten for handing them over. Sorry we couldn't remove all of them for you, but space is tight everywhere.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:20 PM

43 posts, read 146,277 times
Default Yes.

It's a miserable city.

Old 06-01-2007, 08:35 AM

12 posts, read 33,944 times
Default No worse than a lot of places...

I was born & raised in Chicago. Moved here with the Navy 25 yrs ago, been in and out of here several times between trips around the world. Came back here to retire and raise the kids here. Memphis has world class arts, zoo, accomodations, entertainment/theater,symphony, music, culture and food. Most of the crime seems to be gang/drug related or domestic (ex boyfriends, friends, relatives, etc.).
A good rule to follow is the same one you use anywhere in the world; don't be where you shouldn't be after dark. If you're out at 2 a.m., you're either a
mugger or a volunteer. I'd rather let my teenaged s travel around this city than several others in the U.S. with comparable amenities.
I will say, though, that the illegal alien community is a growing crime problem that the city absolutely does not want to deal with. This could be because they're viewed as future voters, I guess. Unfortunately, the aliens themselves are targets too, because they are afraid to report being robbed. There is a particular area on Jackson ave. in Memphis that has become little Mexico. There's a strip mall with an Auto Zone and a few stores where literally hundreds of guys congregate early in the morning waiting for jerkwad redneck contractors to come pick them up in their trucks and work them for the day. They pay cash, and if the guys get hurt, too bad for them. The city is quite aware of this and does completely nothing, so that is a place to stay away from. It's a bad situation all the way around.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:54 AM

19 posts, read 24,179 times
Memphis is a city that refuses to grow between the ears ! There are much better places to live, and there are worse places--like Montgomery ALA, Birmingham, or maybe Jackson Mississippi---it still ranks near the bottom---believe me it can't hold a candle to places like Charlotte, Atlanta or the Tampa Bay area---too many small people with small minds who can't take crticism---they like people who stay silent about how bad the city really is---they enjoy the malaise, the stupidity,---really xenophobic for sure, but the city does have potential, and lots of it, but it's not happening in the next 20 years ! who has the time to waste given other meaningful choices

Old 06-06-2007, 09:57 AM

162 posts, read 604,633 times
What is meant by "funky neighborhoods"? I've heard that term more than once already...

Old 06-06-2007, 10:00 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,379,478 times
I would say in Memphis, the Cooper Young area and the South Main district are "funky areas." Art galleries, ecclectic shopping, various types of restaurants. C-Y is known for a large gay population, and is more "hippie-esque" than the rest of Memphis. A very ecclectic mix of people in that area. South Main has very expensive condos now, but is a warehouse distrct formerly and has tons of art galleries, little shops and restaurants, etc.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:09 PM

56 posts, read 63,595 times
To pearliebobbieq, your observation was perfect. You explained in such a cavalier way too.

"they enjoy the malaise, the stupidity,---really xenophobic for sure,"

The people here are so bizarre when it comes to diversity. It's so eerie. I had been looking for the right words. Thanks for helping me out. Way too much fear of the unknown here. Especially in the black community. I believe much of the malaise is due to not being able to figure the people out and being frustrated at how clueless they are. I wonder where the dysfunction comes from?? Memphis tries to mimic other cities but put our own backwards spin on it. It just isn't working! Just people posing as big city folk. Your quote is laughable because it's so true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis