Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 03:36 PM

1,292 posts, read 5,001,959 times

Advertisements

You really should get out more

Sure, there are houses like that all over Cordova (although that one pretty much has minimal curb appeal as far as landscaping...or lack of it) - as well as all over Bartlett, Collierville, etc. But there is a lot of variety as well. Why are there so many? Because people like them and buy them!

Not everyone wants an older house and neighborhood. Lots of people like modern amenities...huge walk in closets, multiple bathrooms, jacuzzi tubs and separate showers, large laundry rooms, 2 and 3 car attached garages, modern mechanical and electrical systems, energy efficient windows and open floor plans.

Sure, you can find many of these things in a really upscale older home, but not in the typical East Memphis subdivision homes that are priced for the masses - unless the home has been extensively updated....and a price to match. Or....you can buy a home and update it yourself - but that's often not a good investment if you don't plan to live there for a long time.

Homes are like cars. Everyone's taste is different....so they make a wide variety to try to please everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 03:54 PM

480 posts, read 878,281 times
I admit, I'm partial to Midtown and East Memphis, because I tend to prefer more established areas with ethnic diversity, large trees and variety of home types. I know people who live in Cordova and love it, but it's not for everyone. I agree with PearlBob that it’s mostly cookie-cutter type homes. Germantown Parkway is poorly planned and a traffic nightmare much of the time. The street is loaded with retail and other businesses and it seems like there's a traffic signal every 1/4 mile. But there are plenty of shopping and dining (mostly chain) opportunities in that neck of the woods, if that's what you're looking for. It’s obviously been a popular area for families.

Mud Island is a wonderful planned community, but buying a home there is out of price range for many families. The apartments are reasonable and there would likely be a pool but no yard. I know families whose children attended the Montessori school there and they all love it. Mud Island has nice views of the river, wonderful walking and biking paths and it's close to Downtown. It's also where many people who work at the medical center live, so you'd find more non-native-Memphians there.

Midtown is a more eclectic area. Homes built in the 1920s and 30s. There are grand mansions around the corner from shotgun shacks, four squares and Lucy-and-Ricky-type apartment buildings. It's the choice area for artists, musicians, hippies, homosexuals, etc., but they live alongside socialites, young families with children, medical professionals and retirees. It's a "live-and-let-live" kind of area centered around Overton Park, the crown jewel of Memphis. There are also many sub-neighborhoods in Midtown, such as Central Gardens, Cooper Young and Vollentine Evergreen, each with its own distinct character. You'll also find more genuine ethnic restaurants in this area.

East Memphis encompasses a huge chunk of Memphis, again with many distinct neighborhoods, mostly built in the 50s and 60s. It's convenient to most other parts of town and has numerous parks and some of the better city schools. It's comprised mostly of single-family houses and is more of a backyard community than Mud Island or Midtown.

Personally, I'm not a suburb kind of person, but I understand the appeal of them. I just wanted to give you my impression of Memphis inside the city limits. Someone else can give you better impressions of Germantown, Collierville, Bartlett--some of the more popular suburbs. There’s also Southaven and Olive Branch just across the state line in Mississippi, but they’re pretty conservative and religious and don’t sound right for you.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Aside from the Montessori Schools, you’ll find that most pre-schools in Memphis (at least the better ones) are church-based. Some churches are more evangelical toward their students than others. I’m non-religious but have had a great experience with a Methodist Parents’ Day Out program, and my kids absolutely love it there.

Also, I'm not sure what part of Europe you're from, but there are several ethnic associations and festivals around town, including German, Irish, Italian and Greek. Meetup.com is a good place to locate those.

I’m sure it will be an adjustment living in Memphis vs. Europe, the Twin Cities and L.A., but you’ll find that Memphis is a mostly hospitable city with many good points.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCartpath View Post
Homes are like cars. Everyone's taste is different....so they make a wide variety to try to please everyone.
Absolutely. That's what's so great about these forums. People can read posts and advice from a variety of people and make up their own minds about what's right for them.

How in the world did people manage to re-locate before the internet?

Old 04-06-2009, 04:16 PM

"Mud Island is a wonderful planned community, but buying a home there is out of price range for many families."

That's true of Harbor Town but there is a newer, larger, less expensive subdivision further north on the island (can't remember the name of it). Personally, I didn't like it...but apparently lots of people do - there are a LOT of houses there! To me, it combined the disadvantages of living downtown (distance to shopping, supermarkets, etc.) with the disadvantages of living in a boring "cookie cutter" suburb. It simply had none of the charm of Harbor Town and was nowhere near the river. Except for the drive over there, it might as well have been in one of the eastern suburbs....

Old 04-06-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurocali View Post
Thanks for the photos, that was very helpful! Since I have a very active preschooler, a yard (even small) would be wonderful. We've been living in apartment buildings in LA because that's what we can afford, but looking fwd to being able to live in a house! One thing I should specify: we will most likely rent in the beginning. Is it relatively easy to find a house for rent, and what's a good place to look besides Craigslist? What's a reasonable rent for a 2-3 bed. house in East Memphis?
You can find a 3BR, 1-1/2 to 2 BA, smaller (1,000-1,200 SF) home in a middle-class East Memphis neighborhood for about $800-$900/mo.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:17 PM

44 posts, read 190,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
This is what I think of when I think Cordova...just as a reference to my own thoughts.
If I can rent something like that for the price of my no-so-great 2-bed apartment in LA, that will actually be a good start

I could live with that for a year or so and then buy my dream house once I am really familiar with the area.

Thanks again everyone for your great input, this has been extremely helpful! I might ask more questions if /when this move happens!

Old 04-06-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisake View Post
You can find a 3BR, 1-1/2 to 2 BA, smaller (1,000-1,200 SF) home in a middle-class East Memphis neighborhood for about $800-$900/mo.
I currently pay $1500/mo. for a 2 bed/1 bath apartment. And for West L.A. this is actually a great deal!! ;-)

Old 04-06-2009, 04:30 PM

I have a feeling you could easily rent something similar to that for the cost of a 2BR apartment in LA. I don't know exactly where that house is located, but I'd guess you could rent it for around $1500....maybe even less.

I'd guess that house is 3BR, 2 or 2.5 BA, maybe 1800-2000 sq ft, looks like a "bonus" room over the garage. I'd guess it would sell for under $200K.....maybe around $175K....

But then I could be wrong....it happens

When you start looking at specific addresses in Cordova, let us know. I'd be happy to give you my opinion on them....

Old 04-07-2009, 04:04 PM

Default More questions: healthcare

One thing I forgot to ask about: what are the good hospitals in Memphis? I am particularly interested in finding a good neurologist. I will also need a primary care physician and a pediatrician for my son. Here in LA, we chose doctors who are all part of the UCLA medical group. Can we find something similar in Memphis?

Old 04-07-2009, 04:21 PM

You're in luck! Healthcare is one of Memphis' strong points. The "Big 3" hospitals are Baptist, Methodist and St. Francis (in that order). There are hundreds of private physicians, clinics, etc. I'm sure someone here can refer you to an outstanding physician in any field....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis