Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2007, 05:25 PM

2 posts, read 4,305 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone.. Here is the deal. I am a single mom with 3 children. I need to find a area that is safe, affordable, and welcoming to live with children. I also would appreciate information on the public schools for the areas recommended. I am interested in renting a townhome or a house with a moderate commute downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 06:31 PM

13,356 posts, read 39,983,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblessed View Post
Hey everyone.. Here is the deal. I am a single mom with 3 children. I need to find a area that is safe, affordable, and welcoming to live with children. I also would appreciate information on the public schools for the areas recommended. I am interested in renting a townhome or a house with a moderate commute downtown.
You might want to consider Marion, Arkansas. It's very family-friendly, and it's just across the river from downtown (10-15 minutes). Or Southaven, Mississippi. Otherwise, the best public schools in the Memphis area are way out in Collierville, Germantown, or even Millington.

There are some decent public schools in the White Station area of Memphis, but that's a pricey neighborhood, and there's no guarantee that those schools will remain good considering the downward spiral in which Memphis schools find themselves.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:22 PM

4 posts, read 9,256 times
Default **NEW JOB IN MEMPHIS...looking to move to Marion**

Hello all

I have just accepted a job in memphis, tn and I have been reading post after post and opinion after opinion about where to stay and where not to stay. I have been looking into Marion, Arkansas which seems to be at the top of my list. My question is about how long is the commute to Memphis (Hollywood Drive area Archer Daniels Midland Plant) and how is traffic in the morning and afternoon.

Also, can someone enlighten me on how the tax thing works. If I live in Arkansas, and work in memphis...am I just giving arkansas free money? I am pretty naive when it comes to people making reference to the annexing ect.

From reading all the posts, it seems as if racism is still rolling around heavy in this part of Tn. I am a single 26 yr old African American male looking to move into a family oriented neighborhome (not HOOD). Can someone enlighten me on where I should move at with demographics that will not be skewed.

Thank you to anyone that may offer me advice

Pre'

Old 05-01-2007, 08:54 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,383,066 times
Marion to downtown Memphis is very short. Only problem is when there is a wreck on the bridge...yikes. That can back up traffic for hours. Literally! There are only 2 bridges coming into Memphis, and if they have to shut down one for a wreck, things get bad. But, I have friends that make the commute and they have no problems usually. I don't know anything about the neighborhoods over there though. There's nothing to do in those areas, other than drive into Memphis for things

I don't know about racism...I don't see it. If anything, it's "reverse racism" that I see more. Memphis is about 80% black in the city. so if you are black, you'll fit in fine. I would not worry about it at all. Marion and West Memphis also have a large black population, so again, I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:55 AM

Oh, and as for the taxes, TN does not have a state income tax. So, I believe the way it works is that you don't pay income taxes because you work in TN. But definitely look it up online to double check. Many people do this, so it's nothing out of the ordinary.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:23 PM

4 posts, read 9,256 times
Thanks alot for your reply. So in your opinion, if I would be working along Chelsea Ave in Memphis, where would you recommend staying. Was my first option, Marion, feasible?

Old 05-02-2007, 08:26 AM

Wooo Chelsea. That's a rough area!!!!

Chelsea is a sort of long street, but I assume you mean sort of north of downtown? Marion is about as close as you can get. Remember, most people live much further away and drive 45 min or so to get to and from work each day. So Marion to downtown will be a breeze compared to most people's commutes.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:51 PM

3 posts, read 16,657 times
Not knowing your price range, but there are some nice homes and neighborhoods inside the loop. Best bet is along either side of Poplar Ave., generally. Can't beat the area for convenience, charm, sense of neighborhood, culture. My son and his wife bought near Poplar and Highland. A friend just bought a home for her daughter in the Highpoint Terrace area for $150K-- a real buy. Gen X and Gen Y professional are filling up these family oriented neighborhoods. Property appreciation in good neighborhoods inside the loop can't be beaten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis