Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 04:21 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,710,346 times

Advertisements

What's the climate like? Usually where's there's racism against blacks, racism against Jews can follow. We are thinking of relocating from South Florida, but want to know just what we're getting ourselves into. Btw, we don't go to temple or even celebrate holidays as we're secular - for us, it's a cultural thing. We were thinking of either living downtown or the Evergreen/Cooper-Young/Central Gardens area. My husband's last name is Jewish, mine is not. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 05:20 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,376,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
What's the climate like? Usually where's there's racism against blacks, racism against Jews can follow. We are thinking of relocating from South Florida, but want to know just what we're getting ourselves into. Btw, we don't go to temple or even celebrate holidays as we're secular - for us, it's a cultural thing. We were thinking of either living downtown or the Evergreen/Cooper-Young/Central Gardens area. My husband's last name is Jewish, mine is not. Thanks in advance.
No the Jewish population is loved by both blacks and whites here. Truth be told, blacks on whites are the biggest racist group in this town and its only getting worse

While we have Jewish familys located thruout Shelby County. The core group live over off Yates and Poplar

www.jccmemphis.org < this site may help

Old 04-05-2010, 10:44 PM

128 posts, read 462,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
I know some of the physicians I work with are Jewish, as well as a guy who helps with Spanish translation. Granted I never asked about racism against Jews, but I've never heard them complain about it either. However this is not West Orange, NJ or Boro Park in Brooklyn where you will see Jews walking the streets in groups on Shabbat -- at least I haven't seen any.

I doubt you'll have a problem.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:49 PM

80 posts, read 267,546 times
I've never heard about any of my Jewish friends or co-workers having a problem here in Memphis, though I haven't directly asked. I live pretty near the JCC and the Chabad Center; I'm sure that there are many Jewish folks all over this neighborhood every day, but I've never heard anyone say anything nasty about it. I'd be shocked and piffed off if I did!

Oh, and the current U.S. Representative of this district is Steve Cohen, who is Jewish.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:52 AM

1,292 posts, read 5,001,959 times
I've never seen racism against Jews here. Memphis has a sizeable Jewish population. I went to Central High School in the 1960s, and it had the unofficial nickname of "Hebrew High" because such a large percentage of the student body was Jewish - probably 1/3 or more. None of us really thought of the Jewish kids as being a different race....we just thought of them as having a different religion - so it made no difference at all to us.

Last edited by JoeCartpath; 04-06-2010 at 09:13 AM..

Old 04-06-2010, 09:08 AM

Thanks for the responses!

Old 04-06-2010, 09:15 AM

54 posts, read 184,683 times
Default 38120

As someone said a sizable Jewish population lives in the 38120 zip code. This is where many of the synagogues and Jewish centers are located and is also one of the safest areas of Memphis. you will see large groups of Jewish people walking back and forth from the synagogues on the Sabbath. Granted I know you said you are not very religious, but the Kroger on Poplar/Kirby Parkway has a large selection of Kosher food and its own Kosher butcher.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:20 AM

2,353 posts, read 5,376,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockadoodle View Post
Oh, and the current U.S. Representative of this district is Steve Cohen, who is Jewish.
I promise I won't lump you guys in with this idiot ^

I wish he was in my district....

I never thought I would say this but,

"Go Willie Go, Go Willie Go., Go Willie Go"

Old 04-06-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJazz View Post
As someone said a sizable Jewish population lives in the 38120 zip code. This is where many of the synagogues and Jewish centers are located and is also one of the safest areas of Memphis. you will see large groups of Jewish people walking back and forth from the synagogues on the Sabbath. Granted I know you said you are not very religious, but the Kroger on Poplar/Kirby Parkway has a large selection of Kosher food and its own Kosher butcher.
Cool...sounds like we may even find some good pastrami!

Old 04-06-2010, 11:08 AM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
If anything, I think Memphians are rather proud of their city's fairly large Jewish community. When I lived in Memphis I had several Jewish colleagues, and my non-Jewish colleagues almost always referred to them with some sort of awed reverence.

Many Memphians have fond memories of shopping at their beloved Goldsmith's department store, run by a Jewish family, and lament that it was swallowed up by Dillard's. And those of you who were around before me, wasn't Seessel's also owned by a Jewish family? I could be wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: