Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 03:05 PM

201 posts, read 1,070,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
Little Rock, which is 1/3 the size of Memphis, has worse traffic during morning and afternoon rush than Memphis does.
You're right! I used to live in LR and would sometimes spend the weekends with my parents in Cabot and drive into town on Mondays. It would take me almost 1 hour to get from there to Cantrell Rd!

Old 08-15-2007, 05:04 PM

2 posts, read 7,022 times
Bless your Heart! I'm from North MS and I agree with momgonenutzin mem... the Memphis Metro area is one of the less appealing areas with the least to offer of any city I've ever lived in. Fortunately, we are moving our family to Charlotte, NC so I'm not stuck here for the time when our kids have to attend school. What a nightmare THAT would be! I've lived in Nashvile, TN, Washington, DC and New Orleans, LA and Memphis is by FAR the worst. Search out a good church to join or community group in an area if youMUST end up here. I do believe there is a large exodus from the "Bluff City" that has been taking place for a few months and seems to be continuing...

Old 08-15-2007, 05:42 PM

376 posts, read 1,779,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packinup View Post
Bless your Heart! I'm from North MS and I agree with momgonenutzin mem... the Memphis Metro area is one of the less appealing areas with the least to offer of any city I've ever lived in. Fortunately, we are moving our family to Charlotte, NC so I'm not stuck here for the time when our kids have to attend school. What a nightmare THAT would be! I've lived in Nashvile, TN, Washington, DC and New Orleans, LA and Memphis is by FAR the worst. Search out a good church to join or community group in an area if youMUST end up here. I do believe there is a large exodus from the "Bluff City" that has been taking place for a few months and seems to be continuing...
GOOD RIDDANCE!

Old 08-15-2007, 05:46 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,379,478 times
Memphis is "far worse" than NOLA? I don't agree with that at all.
And I don't consider Charlotte to be anything great. It's apples and oranges comparing it to Memphis.

Basically the point is: to each their own. If you can't give valid reasons to back up why you hate Memphis so much, then your opinion should not be counted. If you want to give some specific reasons and examples, that would be an actual help to the poster. But just giving a blanket "it sucks" does not help anyone.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:09 PM

100 posts, read 486,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennreb View Post
GOOD RIDDANCE!
Sounds like King Willie's comments!!!!

Old 08-16-2007, 08:54 AM

1,028 posts, read 2,338,708 times
If someone can't provide constructive criticism, they and Memphis may be better off with them leaving. Memphis needs people interested in improving the community to achieve its potential. Criticism is great, necessary, even. Heck, I think I'm as tough on the city as any of these malcontents.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:44 AM

2 posts, read 7,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packinup View Post
Fortunately, we are moving our family to Charlotte, NC so I'm not stuck here for the time when our kids have to attend school. What a nightmare THAT would be! I've lived in Nashvile, TN, Washington, DC and New Orleans, LA and Memphis is by FAR the worst....

Wow, you MUST have lived in the far out SUBURBS of DC and New Orleans, then. DC has been voted the #2 most crime ridden city for the past 5 years! I respect your opinion, but, you must have just lucked out in the other places you've lived or not lived there very long at all! I live in Baltimore & am all too familiar with DC. Memphis' crime rate is NOTHING compared to it. How long did u live in all of these cities including Memphis??

Last edited by City-Gal; 08-16-2007 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: added

Old 08-16-2007, 10:59 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,316,168 times
Quote:
I do believe there is a large exodus from the "Bluff City" that has been taking place for a few months and seems to be continuing...
Ummm, that 'large exodus' has been happening for 30+ years. It's called suburbanization, and Nashville, Washington, and New Orleans have experienced it also.

And I hate to be the bearer of bad news -- but Charlotte is just a decade or so away from experiencing it also.

Best wishes on your move.

Old 08-19-2007, 02:39 PM

24 posts, read 49,079 times
I have a nice home in Brighton, Tn. just 2o minutes north of Memphis on Hwy 14. The schools here are great, the new superWalmart...what else can I say.
Oh, the house is for sale. 275K . Interested ? 901-486-7815

Old 08-19-2007, 03:46 PM

202 posts, read 583,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
Traffic is VERY easy in Memphis. Congestion is limited to about 3 main areas. Now, as for the abilities of the people behind the wheel, I question that often Memphis has some of the worst drivers I have ever seen.
This was my thought when we were in Memphis, that the traffic was never heavy. Having lived in Orlando, Boston, near DC and having traveled down to South Florida a bit I can promise people that Memphis traffic seemed like nothing compared to these other spots.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis