Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 06:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,228 times

Advertisements

So nice to know there are people that find comfort in not sweating and squinting. I feel there is something missing in the peoples lives that just have to have that hot ball of fire throwing off intensive heat and light, really. The news weather people absolutely make me switch the channel when they are smiling about the 80s in the Winter, ya, nothing better than firing up the ac vs. opening the windows, and the Florida people with their hoods and coats when it is actually warm. Feel like the only sane person in an insane state, I know that is messed up, but the heat and humidity and blinding sunshine just is not comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 09:23 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,587,532 times
I myself cannot stand long patterns of dry sunny days whether it is hot, cold , warm, cool or with average temps. I could take some sunny days but not a long winded pattern with no precip chances in sight. I find prolonged calm, quiet , tranquil dry and sunny patterns very boring and boring patterns depress me. I believe I have reverse SAD. Right now after tomorrow's rain chance here in Columbus Ohio the weather pattern is slipping in to a quiet boring one and it is distressing me. We are getting into the heart of the most active weather season for Ohio and this stupid quiet regime doesn't seem it wants to back off. Too many sunny days back to back with no precip make me cranky , depressed and sad. Not only the monotony gets to me but the sun hurts my and I am fair skinned and no sun glasses are NOT an option for I am nearsighted.

Last edited by otters21; 04-29-2015 at 09:32 PM..

Old 10-04-2015, 08:14 AM

3,314 posts, read 2,217,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otters21 View Post
I myself cannot stand long patterns of dry sunny days whether it is hot, cold , warm, cool or with average temps. I could take some sunny days but not a long winded pattern with no precip chances in sight. I find prolonged calm, quiet , tranquil dry and sunny patterns very boring and boring patterns depress me. I believe I have reverse SAD. Right now after tomorrow's rain chance here in Columbus Ohio the weather pattern is slipping in to a quiet boring one and it is distressing me. We are getting into the heart of the most active weather season for Ohio and this stupid quiet regime doesn't seem it wants to back off. Too many sunny days back to back with no precip make me cranky , depressed and sad. Not only the monotony gets to me but the sun hurts my and I am fair skinned and no sun glasses are NOT an option for I am nearsighted.
I hate hot sunny weather if it lasts for more than an 5 days.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:25 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,037,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamsack View Post
Hi

I live in the upper Midwest (Grand Forks ND) and I have ran into many people who suffer from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) due to our shorter days, and often cloudy and cold weather. Once summer arrives and days are longer many people are very happy.

I am the opposite and always have been. I strongly prefer cloudy days with no sun for days on end and I love nighttime and dislike daylight. This time of the year and through the winter, I am happier, exercise more, and I want to be awake more. Once Spring arrives and the grass greens up and it hits about 70 degrees I can go through a period of severe anxiety and can get very short tempered in the hot temperatures over the summer.

I grew up in Kentucky and was that way as a child too....pulling the blinds down in the summer and never going outside in the heat versus always going out when it snowed in the winter. That is one reason I moved to where I did to escape the summer heat as much as possible. Anything above 75 or 80, and I just dread going outside as I sweat terribly and get very irritated easily.
I just want to stay inside my house with blinds down and the A/C on.

In the winter time...I love being outside and love being cold. I often wear shorts down to 30 degrees where people think I am crazy. My body can tolerate cold very well versus the heat.

My question is how many others out there are like this? I have been recently to my doctor as I noticed over this past summer in particular, my irritiability and anger was more severe than usual. I can usually handle two sunny days in a row, but give my 4 or 5 without much clouds and I just feel like shutting myself in and my wife notices I am way more irritable and I complain all the time. I had my doctor do blood work and all was normal with the exception of testosterone which was in the 180 range (I am in my mid 40s). I started treatment, but while that may explain the extreme irritability and moodiness over the past summer, it doesnt explain my aversion to sun and my love of cloudy days.

I am in the weather forecasting field as a career, and for this upcoming week in my area it will be cloudy for the next 5-7 days. I am elated and so happy as it had been sunny for the past few days. My co-workers talk about the gloom and I love it. Surely there are others like this.

My doctor has said that reverse SAD is real and I certainly feel it.

Sorry for the rambling....
Dan
Do you also like sex more? Because in summers we cannot gun often.

I am also more like you. I like mild winters and not the arctic types. And prefer rain, overcast and cloudy skies over bright sun. May be because I grew up in areas where it was year round summer and some rain in between.

Old 10-20-2015, 11:31 AM

1 posts, read 889 times
So Happy to read I am NOT the only one who Hates Sunlight (Or Any bright light, for that matter)
Yet, No one seems to have answers to what can be done about it??
I have had tests, and DO visit the Eye Dr. every year for checkups, but no real answers to this problem...
The Only time I ever feel well is when it's dark & cloudy, or nighttime..

Old 10-20-2015, 11:56 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,261,832 times

The posters in this thread are my peeps. Wish we could all live near each other. There's greater solidarity in sheer numbers

Old 10-22-2015, 11:11 PM

158 posts, read 305,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post

The posters in this thread are my peeps. Wish we could all live near each other. There's greater solidarity in sheer numbers
I agree ... It's always nice to realize there are like minded people out there and that you aren't the only one with your particular sets of preferences... I love cloudy, dark and overcast days, it's unfortunate that there are so few of those type of days here in Los Angeles...

Old 10-23-2015, 01:18 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,261,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robou View Post
I agree ... It's always nice to realize there are like minded people out there and that you aren't the only one with your particular sets of preferences... I love cloudy, dark and overcast days, it's unfortunate that there are so few of those type of days here in Los Angeles...
I feel for you. Growing up in the SFV was hell for me, which is why I escaped just as soon as I was able to.

Old 10-23-2015, 02:12 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,676,296 times
OH, yeah... just found this topic and I get it. I would think I must be weird because I would open the drapes and say.."Oh...another...sunny...day.." (sigh)) Too much of the same gets old...and rarely changes around here. (I have dealt with depression, too). I have mentioned to others that when it is cloudy, rainy, cool or breezy - I perk up.

Nice to know this is normal and that I am not alone.

Old 10-23-2015, 02:19 AM

4,541 posts, read 1,160,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamsack View Post
Hi

I live in the upper Midwest (Grand Forks ND) and I have ran into many people who suffer from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) due to our shorter days, and often cloudy and cold weather. Once summer arrives and days are longer many people are very happy.

I am the opposite and always have been. I strongly prefer cloudy days with no sun for days on end and I love nighttime and dislike daylight. This time of the year and through the winter, I am happier, exercise more, and I want to be awake more. Once Spring arrives and the grass greens up and it hits about 70 degrees I can go through a period of severe anxiety and can get very short tempered in the hot temperatures over the summer.

I grew up in Kentucky and was that way as a child too....pulling the blinds down in the summer and never going outside in the heat versus always going out when it snowed in the winter. That is one reason I moved to where I did to escape the summer heat as much as possible. Anything above 75 or 80, and I just dread going outside as I sweat terribly and get very irritated easily.
I just want to stay inside my house with blinds down and the A/C on.

In the winter time...I love being outside and love being cold. I often wear shorts down to 30 degrees where people think I am crazy. My body can tolerate cold very well versus the heat.

My question is how many others out there are like this? I have been recently to my doctor as I noticed over this past summer in particular, my irritiability and anger was more severe than usual. I can usually handle two sunny days in a row, but give my 4 or 5 without much clouds and I just feel like shutting myself in and my wife notices I am way more irritable and I complain all the time. I had my doctor do blood work and all was normal with the exception of testosterone which was in the 180 range (I am in my mid 40s). I started treatment, but while that may explain the extreme irritability and moodiness over the past summer, it doesnt explain my aversion to sun and my love of cloudy days.

I am in the weather forecasting field as a career, and for this upcoming week in my area it will be cloudy for the next 5-7 days. I am elated and so happy as it had been sunny for the past few days. My co-workers talk about the gloom and I love it. Surely there are others like this.

My doctor has said that reverse SAD is real and I certainly feel it.

Sorry for the rambling....
Dan
You are awesome omg I am just like you. I love the cold weather, rain, wet streets and dark. I have so much more energy when it's cold and dark outside and am much happier and just feel like a completely different person. The sad thing is I live in Phoenix AZ and the summers are HELL. I want to move so bad and live the dream somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health