Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 02:15 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,673,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Rainy and cold weather is way better than hot and sunny. I love when it gets dark early in the winter time and chilling at home in my pajamas with the windows open.
I do too. And it creates fresher air after rain (and wind). I think it is just so intense having bright sun, day in day out...and cloudiness allows for a softer view. As I must have said a while back here, it does have a positive affect upon me. I grew up part of the time in a resort area having colder temperatures and snow, fresh air...I always enjoyed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2020, 10:23 AM

679 posts, read 359,005 times
I think I also have reverse SAD. I despise hot, dry and sunny summers, but I don't mind sunny day in winter.
Luckily I live in Saint-Petersburg, where hot and dry weather is rare.

Old 02-20-2020, 07:17 AM

631 posts, read 1,093,860 times
I still like the warm sunny days, but I also really like the cloudy, rainy days more now that I've gotten older.

It just calms and quiets down my world.

I don't really need all the hustle and bustle much anymore.

Old 02-24-2020, 05:17 AM

786 posts, read 1,593,699 times
Seasonal Affective Disorder is associated with emotional changes, usually increased depression associated with the "winter" however there are also some biorhythms that are being questioned as some mental health disorders, which have a strong biological component, become worse without explanation during certain months of the year. For instance Bipolar patients sometimes have a particularly hard time in Spring and Fall.

So if you are one of those who sees the beauty in gray rainy colder days, and not so much the hot sunny days, that doesn't mean you have "reverse" SAD which is not a recognized diagnosis but maybe should be. There are many reasons people don't like summer, like the heat, humidity, bugs, living in A/C, cost, crowds at vacation destinations, etc etc etc.

"Winter" aint so much like winter anymore, more a season of extremes. But if you stop and take a look at the cloud formations, observe the activity of water when it rains, enjoy snow, enjoy feeling the cool/cold breezes, watch bird migration when winter approaches, etc., you can appreciate and possibly prefer the winter season, compared to the hot, sunny days of summer. Some people start getting depressed in the fall because they know winter is coming, but also from a variety of other reasons, like the approaching holiday season which many people abhor, or maybe their outdoor activity preferences occur in nice weather and winter means more indoor time. It's all very personal and if you like/prefer winter over other seasons, you're certainly not alone and it doesn't mean you have a mental disorder.

Old 02-24-2020, 10:52 AM

1,226 posts, read 633,265 times
I wear yellow tinted glasses on cloudy days, that hue makes the world appear a little brighter.

Old 03-01-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judd2401 View Post
Seasonal Affective Disorder is associated with emotional changes, usually increased depression associated with the "winter" however there are also some biorhythms that are being questioned as some mental health disorders, which have a strong biological component, become worse without explanation during certain months of the year. For instance Bipolar patients sometimes have a particularly hard time in Spring and Fall.

So if you are one of those who sees the beauty in gray rainy colder days, and not so much the hot sunny days, that doesn't mean you have "reverse" SAD which is not a recognized diagnosis but maybe should be. There are many reasons people don't like summer, like the heat, humidity, bugs, living in A/C, cost, crowds at vacation destinations, etc etc etc.

"Winter" aint so much like winter anymore, more a season of extremes. But if you stop and take a look at the cloud formations, observe the activity of water when it rains, enjoy snow, enjoy feeling the cool/cold breezes, watch bird migration when winter approaches, etc., you can appreciate and possibly prefer the winter season, compared to the hot, sunny days of summer. Some people start getting depressed in the fall because they know winter is coming, but also from a variety of other reasons, like the approaching holiday season which many people abhor, or maybe their outdoor activity preferences occur in nice weather and winter means more indoor time. It's all very personal and if you like/prefer winter over other seasons, you're certainly not alone and it doesn't mean you have a mental disorder.

I understand that. My favourite season is fall, but I alsp like spring. I don't like extreme cold (<-20°C) or extreme heat (>30°C). I burn easily and I want to have low UV index.

Old 03-01-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judd2401 View Post

I understand that. My favourite season is fall, but I also like spring. I don't like extreme cold (<-20°C) or extreme heat (>30°C). I burn easily and I want to have low UV index. My favourite outdoors weather is 15-20°C and overcast, but 0-5°C with sun is also good (when sun angle is low).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health