Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 09:21 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,285,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmusicgal View Post
...does a mentally ill person know they have a mental illness?...
No. They also think psychologists are for "crazy people"* - like totally off the wall wild acting.

However people who DO seek counseling many times are mentally healthy. Basically they have a problem and do something to resolve it (get help). Like those who go to a doctor and exercise are more physically healthy.

It is the people who do not (would never) seek counseling that need it the most (if they also have issues which could use some attention).

*FYI - People frequently go to counseling to resolve fairly "simple issues" like you may see in a "Dear Abby" newspaper question/answer column. Go to a psychologists office and you will not see any "crazy" people in the lobby. They are just regular people with regular problems. (No one is perfect!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 06:29 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,394,006 times
Most bipolars don't wanna acknowledge they have a problem unless they get a serious "wake up call". Some stages of Bipolar 2 and Cychlotimia are like common "tantrums" and if they don't cost a job or a serious relationship they just see that as something "out of the ordinary" or common "stress".

Usually bipolars get to therapy after a serious intervention within their closed ones.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:33 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,275,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I think it depends on the illness. I know several folks with bi-polar, and they seem to be aware. Those with personality disorders almost never have any idea, b/c anything that happens to them is someone else's fault. Schizophrenics usually don't seem to know. And then when it's something that's in and out, they'll know when they have awareness, but not know when they're having a spell. Tricky stuff.
This response is closest to the truth. Some other factors are stage and acuity of illness.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:29 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I think it depends on the illness. I know several folks with bi-polar, and they seem to be aware. Those with personality disorders almost never have any idea, b/c anything that happens to them is someone else's fault. Schizophrenics usually don't seem to know. And then when it's something that's in and out, they'll know when they have awareness, but not know when they're having a spell. Tricky stuff.
I agree with this. Good post.

Old 06-07-2015, 05:31 PM

In the end life itself will makes them "aware" of the issues, they won't acknowledge for sure but after two or three divorces or strange "facts" about their behaviors, they will know for sure there's something "off".

When they lose a job because of a weird incident most of them will hear the "wake up call" so to speak.

Old 06-07-2015, 05:37 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,996 times
considering one out of four of us is suffering a mental illness at any given time, I'd say mostly people suspect something is wrong but 50% ignore it and hope it will go away, where as 50% will seek treatment.

I have more than one mental illness right now, one of which (the more "serious") I had no clue about until a psychiatrist diagnosed me. I was missing the more obvious signs but once he said the words "BPD" every thing else started to make sense, including the resistant and ongoing nature of the first illness, severe depression.

But generally speaking the ones you really need to be careful of are the psychopaths, estimated 1-2% of the population. They don't consider themselves mentally ill, just superior. Utterly treatment resistant and...they're EVERYWHERE! In govt, medicine, law, your boss! Psychopaths tend to float to the top because they don't have "normal" emotions.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:53 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
considering one out of four of us is suffering a mental illness at any given time, I'd say mostly people suspect something is wrong but 50% ignore it and hope it will go away, where as 50% will seek treatment.

I have more than one mental illness right now, one of which (the more "serious") I had no clue about until a psychiatrist diagnosed me. I was missing the more obvious signs but once he said the words "BPD" every thing else started to make sense, including the resistant and ongoing nature of the first illness, severe depression.

But generally speaking the ones you really need to be careful of are the psychopaths, estimated 1-2% of the population. They don't consider themselves mentally ill, just superior. Utterly treatment resistant and...they're EVERYWHERE! In govt, medicine, law, your boss! Psychopaths tend to float to the top because they don't have "normal" emotions.
Help me understand - you tell us you are mentally ill. Shouldn't you be more generous and accepting of other people's odd or naive behavior if you are mentally ill yourself? I have seen some posts from you who are very hurtful to people who are clearly "off" and have no common sense.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
I agree with this. Good post.
I disagree, I think bipolars are the toughest ones to recognize the issue, because the up is just happiness for them and the downs are just a "bad day". A "tantrum" is "I don't know" and they act as nothin' happened. You wouldn't expect an apology from a bipolar anyway.

Usually they are the most insincere people in the world.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:39 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Help me understand - you tell us you are mentally ill. Shouldn't you be more generous and accepting of other people's odd or naive behavior if you are mentally ill yourself? I have seen some posts from you who are very hurtful to people who are clearly "off" and have no common sense.

Do you know WHY I'm mentally ill? Its not my fault you know, nor do I get any favor or excuses for it.

Research has shown that BPD is closely related to neglect or abuse in early childhood - like, before 2 years old.

As this fits entirely with my own memories, please consider I was once a horribly abused baby, child, teenager. The abuse continued right up until I had my own daughter and finally severed the tie.

Most of those I critique have plenty of resources including supportive family and the ability to inform themselves which they ignore.

BPD is a self protective mechanism. Psych workers tell me that BPD sufferers are their favorites, they are almost always creative, intelligent, social and charming.

We develop this to SAVE OUR OWN LIVES which are constantly under threat by incompetent uncaring and/or cruel parenting.

BPD results in black and white thinking. Other people are either all good, or all bad. That is the true pain of BPD. There is no grey in our world.

I never ever post a comment to hurt someone else. I post it to help them and/or challenge them.

Oh and...? almost everyone has a mental illness of some sort, so if you're sitting up on your high moral ground thinking it only happens to other people, THINK AGAIN.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:42 PM

914 posts, read 765,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Do you know WHY I'm mentally ill? Its not my fault you know, nor do I get any favor or excuses for it.

Research has shown that BPD is closely related to neglect or abuse in early childhood - like, before 2 years old.

As this fits entirely with my own memories, please consider I was once a horribly abused baby, child, teenager. The abuse continued right up until I had my own daughter and finally severed the tie.

Most of those I critique have plenty of resources including supportive family and the ability to inform themselves which they ignore.

BPD is a self protective mechanism. Psych workers tell me that BPD sufferers are their favorites, they are almost always creative, intelligent, social and charming.

We develop this to SAVE OUR OWN LIVES which are constantly under threat by incompetent uncaring and/or cruel parenting.

BPD results in black and white thinking. Other people are either all good, or all bad. That is the true pain of BPD. There is no grey in our world.

I never ever post a comment to hurt someone else. I post it to help them and/or challenge them.

Oh and...? almost everyone has a mental illness of some sort, so if you're sitting up on your high moral ground thinking it only happens to other people, THINK AGAIN.
That's not always true, sometimes you do post insensitive comments. Nobody here is perfect but I agree with Oh-Eve, you really need to take it easy sometimes. If anything, a person with your cross to bear should be more compassionate, because you have to give it to receive it. And I'm not saying that to offend you or pick on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health