Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 11:07 AM

2,190 posts, read 6,853,179 times

Advertisements

The right woman will see through your anxiety and self doubt and will like you and care about you for who you essentially are.
Your worth as a mate is not dependent on how successful you are but rather how open and loving your heart is and to what extent you are able to care for and love another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 12:05 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,433,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
I think it will end when I have more money and out of the whole I'm in. 1600$ a month would cause deppresion. I need to change that to 16,000 a month to be happy. You can't live life without money. I'm working to survive I think thats why I'm really depressed.
I hope this is just your depression talking and you don't really believe you need to be wealthy to be happy. It's been shown many times that once you have enough money to cover the necessities, more money after that doesn't increase happiness. This is why some rich people get so disillusioned. They didn't realize this, and then they think, hey I'm rich and I'm still not happy, what's wrong with me? There's nothing wrong with them but money wasn't the answer.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:22 PM

2,631 posts, read 7,019,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryzuba View Post
I have a daughter with learning disabilities, OCD, and depression. She had it hard growing up in a home of scholars and college graduates. She is now 25 and still struggles, mostly with the OCD, going over and over the same negative thoughts... Medication helps but it ain't perfect, but you should get yourself assessed for that. There is hope! Try to stay away from the ppl that make you feel like zero, and hang with positive-minded happy folk if you can. Volunteering at a VA center could also help you feel like you have self-value, and YOU DO!
Thats what it was this whole time. I let negative people bring me down. It has nothing to do with my situation I let people have power over me. I let situations like my ex wife cheating and leaving me, my father hanging up the phone on me when I needed him the most and walking out of my life bring me down.

I just need to man up, put on iron skin and stop thinking negative.

Thats why when another poster posted situations that were similar to mine I realize that negative people are the problem.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I hope this is just your depression talking and you don't really believe you need to be wealthy to be happy. It's been shown many times that once you have enough money to cover the necessities, more money after that doesn't increase happiness. This is why some rich people get so disillusioned. They didn't realize this, and then they think, hey I'm rich and I'm still not happy, what's wrong with me? There's nothing wrong with them but money wasn't the answer.
Well I have trouble getting over situations and I'm not pleased where I'm at currently. I just can't get over the fact that I wasted so much time. I should have graduated college already. It's the regret which is the root of it mixed in with negative experiences with negative people that causes my depression.

I think Money is the bulk of it because I want to do alot with it. Travel to different places, fix myself up further, buy all the cars I want, and experience life. You've only get one chance and then you never get it again.

So its not the money itself is the things that come hand and hand with the money I'm after. There's nothing I can do about people who want to bring other people down but I can put myself in a position where my life is not so dull, boring, isolated, a constant struggle and worthless.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:39 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,433,650 times
Quote:
Well I have trouble getting over situations and I'm not pleased where I'm at currently. I just can't get over the fact that I wasted so much time. I should have graduated college already. It's the regret which is the root of it mixed in with negative experiences with negative people that causes my depression.

I think Money is the bulk of it because I want to do alot with it. Travel to different places, fix myself up further, buy all the cars I want, and experience life. You've only get one chance and then you never get it again.

So its not the money itself is the things that come hand and hand with the money I'm after. There's nothing I can do about people who want to bring other people down but I can put myself in a position where my life is not so dull, boring, isolated, a constant struggle and worthless.
I think you're putting to much pressure on yourself. It's not the first time I've seen such a young c-der say "I'm wasting so much time", and believe me it's just not true. At 23 you have lots of time.
As far as all those good things you could do and buy, yes that would be fun but having fun is not the same thing as happiness. Unless you can find meaning in your life outside of material things, that would all be empty.
Don't let other people get you down, believe in yourself and be patient, and you'll find your way.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:21 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,990,019 times
Quote:

You need to set some realistic short and long term goals and work toward them. You may wish you were further along at 23 than you are, but that's better than having a briefcase of regrets when you are 50. You do have time on your side now, use it positively. If I've not learned anything else along the way, I've learned how important it is to have a career, a job you enjoy.

Yes money rules the world, but you will find as you get older having an expensive car isn't that important. Women you would hope to attract you want to like you for you, not your material wealth. Also, I think you would think less about how bad you have it now if you would try to do something positive for someone else, whether that be volunteering at an animal shelter, or helping some old people in the area with yard work or things they can no longer do. You find you will feel more positive about your own self and your life as it is. Even though people are measured by how much wealth they have, the true measurement comes from what kind of a person you are.

I understand deep scars from family, an exwife, and so called friends, it can leave one negative and depressed. And some people do just have a very difficult time letting go of past hurts. Do your best to set some positive realistic goals, focus on that. Keep your mind busy, try to exercise, try meditation, yoga, tai chi. There are a number of things that can be helpful. Try your best to not be always comparing your self to others. I know that can be hard, especially if you focus on your failures. Focus on your goals, make them specific and attainable, work toward them. Remember there is so much more to life than an expensive car and a huge house. There are support groups in most states for people with depression through NAMI. Just google it. I'm not sure you need that right now, but its an option at least. Good luck.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
You need to set some realistic short and long term goals and work toward them. You may wish you were further along at 23 than you are, but that's better than having a briefcase of regrets when you are 50. You do have time on your side now, use it positively. If I've not learned anything else along the way, I've learned how important it is to have a career, a job you enjoy.

Yes money rules the world, but you will find as you get older having an expensive car isn't that important. Women you would hope to attract you want to like you for you, not your material wealth. Also, I think you would think less about how bad you have it now if you would try to do something positive for someone else, whether that be volunteering at an animal shelter, or helping some old people in the area with yard work or things they can no longer do. You find you will feel more positive about your own self and your life as it is. Even though people are measured by how much wealth they have, the true measurement comes from what kind of a person you are.

I understand deep scars from family, an exwife, and so called friends, it can leave one negative and depressed. And some people do just have a very difficult time letting go of past hurts. Do your best to set some positive realistic goals, focus on that. Keep your mind busy, try to exercise, try meditation, yoga, tai chi. There are a number of things that can be helpful. Try your best to not be always comparing your self to others. I know that can be hard, especially if you focus on your failures. Focus on your goals, make them specific and attainable, work toward them. Remember there is so much more to life than an expensive car and a huge house. There are support groups in most states for people with depression through NAMI. Just google it. I'm not sure you need that right now, but its an option at least. Good luck.
thankyou

Old 10-03-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
I think you're putting to much pressure on yourself. It's not the first time I've seen such a young c-der say "I'm wasting so much time", and believe me it's just not true. At 23 you have lots of time.
As far as all those good things you could do and buy, yes that would be fun but having fun is not the same thing as happiness. Unless you can find meaning in your life outside of material things, that would all be empty.
Don't let other people get you down, believe in yourself and be patient, and you'll find your way.
Thanks 4 the support.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:54 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
You think it is bad now!!!

Just you wait until you've lived to reach your forties, etc!

At the youthful age of 23 , you should be really resilient and quickly able to bounce back.

If not, then there is something wrong! You may have depression!!! Treated early and you will be back to your old self. Let is fester, and the cycle never ends!
Good luck!

P.S. Everyone has his own sack of rocks to carry.
What a great saying!

Wait until you hit your fifties and see what life has handed you. I could live with all the regrets of mistakes I made and goals I didn't reach, or I can realize I did the best I could at the time and move forward (to make new mistakes, lol).

OP, it's easy to carry old crap with you, but it's really not that difficult to set it down and keep going once you make up your mind to do so. Remember, regrets and depression are about the past, anxiety is about the future. Try to live in the NOW.

Of course, I have to remind myself of this every day, but it does help.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What a great saying!

Wait until you hit your fifties and see what life has handed you. I could live with all the regrets of mistakes I made and goals I didn't reach, or I can realize I did the best I could at the time and move forward (to make new mistakes, lol).

OP, it's easy to carry old crap with you, but it's really not that difficult to set it down and keep going once you make up your mind to do so. Remember, regrets and depression are about the past, anxiety is about the future. Try to live in the NOW.

Of course, I have to remind myself of this every day, but it does help.
Actually this is what has been getting me through I try to use everyday as a chance to turn it all around. I tell myself what can I do today that can make me better then I was yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health