Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2011, 07:27 PM

160 posts, read 1,162,052 times

Advertisements

I have been on a very low dose of Effexor for a couple years. My new prescription is a higher dose. Will I notice a difference?

I am in a low spot--the last year and a half, my 19 year old daughter (now 20) became pregnant, the baby was 6 weeks early, the same day the baby came home from a 3 week stay in NICU, my son (daughter's twin brother) left for the army . He will be going to Afganistan next spring. My parents were elderly and I did a lot to try to care for them, but, My dad (96)passed away in March, my mother(93) decided that "now that dad is gone, I should just go"....and would put her head down. So she passed away in August and tho they had a wonderful successful life, of course I miss them. And now last week my husband's job was terminated (he wasn't fired, the funding just isn't there...) And I can't whine, since I was fortunate to have my parents so long, the baby is the highlight of our lives (and lives at our house) and no one is sick or hurt. But I still feel "woe is me"..... I thought I was going to be the one get to semi retire after a lifetime of teaching and now it is hubby who gets to be home...for now. Just venting I guess....

So again, do you think the upgrade of meds will help my attitude?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 07:59 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Sorry to read your recent issues. Worrisome or painful happenings can lead to situational depressions....on top of pre-existing depression.

An increase will likely help. it worked for me.

Best wishes

Old 11-03-2011, 09:25 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,238,048 times
when i switched from 10 mg to 20 mg of lexapro i did notice a difference at first. but i ended up decreasing back to 10 because i didnt want to feel like that was my only way to cope with having a bad day. because eventually you will be at max dose and them the docs will add other meds to the concoction....thats just too much for me. i try to maintain on the lowest dose possible. it sounds like you have a lot beating you down right now, and the increase in meds may help you pull through it. just be mindful that there are other ways to help boost your mood if you dont want to fully rely on meds (exercise and what not). good luck.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:10 PM

9 posts, read 19,385 times
I have heard that the there are very dangerous side effects of anti depressant medicines.I have seen that this problem is not can totally cured by medicines available in the market for this problem.So can I get some information about its treatment which can cured this problem totally and the affected person get fit 100%.

Old 11-15-2011, 08:22 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Are you seeing a therapist at all? Me personally, I feel that anti-depressents are most effective when taken in conjunction with therapy, otherwise all it is doing is doping you up. You aren't learning any coping methods just by taking meds and there is no cure for your depression without the counseling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health