Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 09:20 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times

Advertisements

For emergency bad news, if you have a computer, search for "brad yates eft panic" - he has an awesome 10 minute video where you can tap on meridians and it will calm you down . . . if you have Rescue Remedy, take that too. If you have Lavender oil, take a bath and use the oil in the bath.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:26 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Well if you give you give up now, then all of your effort, pain, sacrifice, and lessons in life would have been for nothing. I know it's tough to keep plodding forward when you are faced with huge setbacks, it's discouraging. Take a little time to let this work through you, but don't give up. You're not ready to lay down just yet.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:43 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Ten years ago, my life suddenly fell apart. I learned something I hadn't before. Don't assume about tomorrow. I'd blighly gone on in a situation which wasn't good, but was there, hating it but putting up with it because I was afraid of change.

Change happens. The sure thing falls through. The other shoe falls. I look back at what I might have done, and see how my blind certainty kept me from taking charge. I was homeless for six months. Kid grew up with his aunt, since I couldn't support him. Other insudriouls crap happened.

But... I learned something. I'd take the bus somewhere and see all the houses, even the dumpy apartments, and think how lucky they were to have a home. They had a place they could expect to sleep, and put food and eat. They had a place for however long it lasted was theirs.

I've never forgotten that. Nor have I that nothing is EVER guarenteed. When its a sure thing since it happens I'll make my plans. Otherwise it's and IF it happens, then, but thats different.

Right now, start a list. put what it is at the top. List ALL your options, good or bad. Seperate the big bad scary idea into components. All of them rolled into a scary ball are impossible to deal with and all they do is freeze you up. Splitting it up, looking at specifics means you can do look at what you CAN do vrs what you can't, and see what is most important. And even if you don't get a lot out of any one thing you try, you did something. Your worse enemy is non-action.

If that home has a family, then go home. Be honest. Remember as has been mentioned, you do have a place to go. Remember there are a whole lot just as desperate, but all they have is the car or the tent or the shelter. Even a friend who'll let you sleep on the couch is up from that.

Try a help line. Most cities have one. Call it, tell them, and they can help direct you to local resources who can at least suggest something concrete.

Hard to say much if you choose to keep it private but I understand.

bottom line, the worse you can do is nothing, which just feeds the negativity in control now. Even if the first steps are little baby steps, they are still pointing you towards the right direction.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:33 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,617 times
I think most of us want to "give up" sometimes. I think it's okay to do it temporarily. In other words it's okay to take a grown-up "time-out". But there is really no point in giving up on life entirely. It still goes on. Eventually we just have to deal with whatever it is that is getting to us.

Life can be overwhelming at times, no doubt. But usually things have a way of working out. Even if they way that it works out is nowhere near what we had hoped for. We still manage to get through it, one way or another. I think it's better to try and stay positive, but I also take time to allow myself to be upset for a while. It's just important to not get stuck in the upset. It's important to limit the amount of time you give into that feeling, and then you get back up, dust yourself off and keep moving forward. Even if you have to start from further back than you originally were.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:46 PM

3,958 posts, read 2,573,640 times
Thank you everyone. I am feeling a little better but I spent the day sleeping! Oh well! I don't have time to write much right now- five minutes to go on the library computer. I asked them for extra time, never have before and they acted like it was the such a BIG problem. Sigh...

I am almost feeling okay. Almost...

Old 12-15-2011, 04:57 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
Thank you everyone. I am feeling a little better but I spent the day sleeping! Oh well! I don't have time to write much right now- five minutes to go on the library computer. I asked them for extra time, never have before and they acted like it was the such a BIG problem. Sigh...

Isn't it amazing how lacking in generosity and kindness people often are?
I think that these times are so difficult and people are, whether conscious of it or not, afraid so instead of opening their hearts, they close them tighter.
I encountered this a few times today and just had to realize that people are i think really freaked and i needn't take it personally but it's difficult not to at times.
I'm glad you're feeling better if only a bit.
Sleep is good.
I wish i could just hibernate .... like a bear and then come out in the spring renewed, albeit really hungry.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:56 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post

Sometimes sleeping it off for a day helps me a little bit too. Hopefully it doesn't go on much longer than that.

I had to do that a few days ago. Sometimes too much junk happens all at once and we just need to disconnect for a while and recharge our batteries.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:44 PM

977 posts, read 1,109,685 times
there are times when life seems too much of a struggle and i'm just so darned tired....but i try to ignore my desire to give up and, instead, just get thru another day, another night. Often times something will happen that renews my desire to live, to remain in this world. I wish you the best.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:06 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
And sleeping is not a bad thing - it's taking a break, allowing yourself to heal . . . it's actually very wise.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:47 AM

2,468 posts, read 3,131,842 times
Hi Wildflower,
When I've been most low, feeling so sad or disappointed, it's often because I've had blinders on... or even worse, a microscope looking at only the "bad." Sometimes, it's helpful to do that, to figure out the source of the problem. But often it prevents me from seeing more possibilities.

I'd suggest that you get out a piece of paper & write down your goals... & brainstorm ideas of how to accomplish them. Some ideas you may later throw out, but don't limit them at first - brainstorm - all kinds of possibilities!

I'm going to send you a pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health