Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2012, 10:08 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,312,593 times

Advertisements

How much "power" do we have in our own right? How much can we overcome? Or heal? And what are we "stuck with?"...We live in a world full of "experts" in every field. And sometimes it's easy to feel like a "helpless nothing" with very little "power" in our own right...Yet some people find a way to "beat the odds" everyday...When they are told that something is "impossible" people like this don't "give-up" or accept "defeat." They don't "throw-in the towel" so to speak!...Instead they "rev-up" and strengthen their "will" and determation to "do" the so-called "impossible!" And prove all the "nay-sayers" and so-called "experts" wrong!...Sometimes they succeed and sometimes they don't! But at least they know that they gave it their "all" and "tried!"...And some people literally refuse to "give-up" no matter what! (No matter how many times they "fail!") And they eventually succeed or "die trying" anyway! (Because they just don't want to be viewed as "quitters.")...Why do you think that some people take pride in having "power" and overcoming obstacles?.. And why do you think that some people doubt that they have very much (or any) "internal power?" Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 11:23 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
I think there is alot to be said about internal power, and doing what's good for ourselves.

Becoming "self-actualized" to me means, someday being in a career i love (writing), enjoying day to day life without needing to shop, or be materialistic to feel "fulfilled", and maybe having a few good friendships and relationships with good people you trust.

I know this book helped : The author was at that time a cancer survivor, and dealing with her son's own self-destructive substance abuse. She basically writes about a spiritual strengthening, even at the worst juncture in life .

Amazon.com: Life Wish (9780316109260): Jill Ireland: Books

Old 05-02-2012, 05:56 PM

dreamofmonterey...Thanks for posting. I like the term "spiritual strengthening." Thanks for sharing the term and info about the book and author!...I think we really do live in a "survival of the fittest" type of world. Some people tend to be "overly-responsible." And other people don't take enough responsibility for themselves or any responsibility for the people in their lives who depend on them. Have you noticed this? I sure have!...We talk about the "haves" and the "have nots" when it comes to money and wealth in our society. But I think this applies to having a sense of "personal responsibility" and "personal power" too...We can "whine" and complain and "give-up" and insist that we have no "power" to "fix ourselves" and "rattle-off" excuse after excuse...Or we can "pick" ourselves "up" off the "ground" and take some "personal responsibility" for our "welfare" and "well-being." And take pride in finding ways to "care" for ourselves no matter what we've been through...I'm a grown adult. My parents have been dead for a long time now. I feel that it's my "job" to find ways to take care of myself. It's my "job" to find a way to "nurse" my "wounds" so I can "heal" from all of the "jolts" and "set-backs" and disappointments I've gone through in the past! (And still "face" today.)...How do you feel about it? I have to remain strong and "tough" in order to "survive" and "thrive" despite the problems I encounter in life.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:39 AM

I have to give myself "pep talks" every single day so I won't "cave-in" or "drown." I have to stay hopeful and positive and strong for myself and for my son too...I don't want my son to "give-up" and accept the prognosis that he may die in a few months or within a year.. Anyway It's been rough. But I don't want to just "cave-in." Or "throw in the towel."...So I give myself "pep talks" everyday so I will stay strong and keep on "going." And so my son will stay strong and be able to "beat the odds" too!

Old 05-03-2012, 12:00 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
I have to give myself "pep talks" every single day so I won't "cave-in" or "drown." I have to stay hopeful and positive and strong for myself and for my son too...I don't want my son to "give-up" and accept the prognosis that he may die in a few months or within a year.. Anyway It's been rough. But I don't want to just "cave-in." Or "throw in the towel."...So I give myself "pep talks" everyday so I will stay strong and keep on "going." And so my son will stay strong and be able to "beat the odds" too!
I wish the best for you and your son you guys truly deserve some good news.

A sense of personal strength can come internally, i.e "grace under pressure".

I also avoid toxic people (borderline personalities, drama queens, etc.) at all costs, been there done that, don't need to do it ever again.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:59 PM

dreamofmonterey...Thanks for posting. I like the term "grace under pressure!" And thanks for caring about me and my son...I think it's important to avoid "nay-sayers" and highly negative people when we are trying to stay strong and hopeful and positive! ..If we spend our time with people who declare things "impossible" and people who automatically "assume the worst" (without even "trying" very much) their sense of "defeat" can "rub-off" on us. Don't you think?...I keep telling my son that doctors don't know everything. They are not "gods" or "psychics" who can accurately predict the future for everybody!...I think we become what we "believe!" (About ourselves.) Don't you?...When I was small I was a chubby and shy and self-conscious "wallflower" who didn't have much of a personality! I use to feel sorry for myself and I had a lot of "blame" and "hostility" towards other people because I was "left-out" so much and basically "ignored."...Then one day it dawned on me that I had a "lousy personality" or really not much of a personality at all! So it was easy to "ignore me!" (Because I "barely existed" and I didn't know how to "reach-out" and make "connections" with other people!)...Anyway I decided to "reinvent myself" and become more outgoing and "personable" when I was about 7 or so. Even as a kid I didn't want to believe that anything was "set in stone!" Or declare anything "impossible!"

Old 05-03-2012, 01:43 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times
I think it's both nature and nurture. Some people are born with certain temperaments. It's like it's hard wired. Then you throw in the nurture factor and it can go either way.

And then of course our experiences in life shape us. Success begets success and failure can beget failure.

I think it's great that you're able to give yourself a pep talk everyday. You are in a position where it's critical that you're able to do this and have the attitude you do. I am going to venture to guess that in spite of the difficult things you've had to deal with, you've always been this kind of person. Yes, I think you said at 7 you decided you were going to change.

So maybe you were born hard wired to be this way and, with any luck, you had parents who reinforced this in you.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:56 PM

mistygrl...Thanks for posting. I think we're born with different temperments too. I think we can be affected by many different factors when we're growing-up. (Our birth order; whether we're the boy or girl our parents really wanted; the "state" of our parents' marriage at the time of our birth etc.)...I could have gone "either way." My Mom was outgoing and my Dad was shy and self-conscious...At some point I think I just got tired of being "labeled." My Mom kept telling everyone that I was just like my Dad. (Which was true.)...But I guess there was just a part of me that wanted to come into my "own" and break-out of the "mold." I've never liked to be "typecast" or "labeled." (Not even today!) How about you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health