Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 07:50 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,791,212 times

Advertisements

So I'm real big on self improvement and figuring out where my weaknesses are. My last girlfriend asked me what I disliked most about myself, and I told her it was that I am an introvert. She couldn't believe it. So for those who don't know, ISTJ stands for "Introverted, Sensing, Thinking, and Judgement". So as an introvert who has always been shy, combined with depression, I believe this is an extreme weakness. Also, my "T" score is very high, meaning I overanalyze everything and get stuck in my head. The result is no risk taking, whether its cold calling potential employers or asking women out. I hesitate all the time because I want to say the "right" thing. I feel like I've just missed so many opportunities in life just because of my personality. I've tried to change it so much because I feel flawed. It hasn't worked though. I'm slightly less introverted, but its been a constant battle. Would love to hear others experiences and what has worked or hasn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 08:23 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,730,395 times
Google Image Result for http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc324/Maistrochet/n4205240_31258404_9770.jpg

I'm an ISTJ and have no problem with it.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:08 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,252,739 times
Why should being introverted be a fault? Society likes to say that but its how one is made. I tried to be more 'outwards' when I worked in an office, but all it did was make me just really want to go home and hole up in my room.

On the Myers Briggs, I'm always INTJ, but the N varies according to my mood as there are some questions which my answer would be somewhere in the middle. I took it deliberately answering yes and then no, to see the range. But the I is always 100. It's just me. I've always been this way and mom was too. When I gave up trying to pretend, I discovered that I'm far happier because I'm being me. Try to accept yourself as *you*. We're all different, and its *okay* to be different. You can't be who you are not unless you shut yourself off from the real person inside.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:27 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,078,931 times
I'm an introvert. Always thought it had more to do with my dysfunctional upbringing and constant criticism of every little thing I did and said. You know, the shy little girl who blushed when someone just looked her direction.

As I got older, I realize I just was not comfortable around groups of people because I too was afraid of saying the wrong thing/ sounding stupid and blamed it again, on another offshoot of a having 6 older brothers. I could never say a thing without being ridiculed to tears by them.....

Finally, I came across the introverts handbook persay and found that---wallah-- I'm a full- blown introvert!!!!! And I'm married to a closet introvert as in he claims he wants to " get out and party like a rock star" but the few times we do, he tells me later he wishes we had just cuddled on the couch and watched some bad tv or took a long hike in the woods! He'll get it one day!!! LOL

I think you'll find a lot of introverts in these forums because it fulfills our need for interaction but on our terms....no Snazzy Nazzy overpowering us with their overthetop extrovert-ism and forcing us to shrink away into the background while our lip twitches....

And why do we sometimes feel uncomfortable in our introvert coats?

Because society constantly yells at us that being alone is unhealthy!!!! But I never feel healthier than when I'm taking a long, quiet walk in the woods listening to and watching nature unfold before me and letting my mind wander in any direction it wants with no one telling me I'm an oddity!!!!

Peace fellow introverts.......

Last edited by Fallingwater79; 06-05-2012 at 02:37 PM..

Old 06-05-2012, 02:33 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,026,135 times
well, apparently, I am an ISTJ, too .... and I'm alright with that.....

Old 06-05-2012, 04:26 PM

21 posts, read 64,397 times
Yay, other introverts! ./////.
I'm an INFP, so my experiences are probably different than yours, but we should all be okay with our inrovertyness. Society says we're the weirdos, the eccentric ones, but is it such a crime to go against standards? I say no.
Nyaa~
Love, the surreal introvert,
HorrorHound.

(i also have schizotypal disorder, is that common with any other introverts?)

Old 06-05-2012, 04:49 PM

131 posts, read 260,718 times
From the philosophical mind of the immortal Popeye “I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam”. The world needs all 16 types.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:37 PM

21 posts, read 64,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop22 View Post
From the philosophical mind of the immortal Popeye “I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam”. The world needs all 16 types.

Yup! What type was popeye?

Old 06-06-2012, 03:06 PM

131 posts, read 260,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorhound View Post
Yup! What type was popeye?
INFP or ISTP from other sites. INFP sounds better to me.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:20 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,863,065 times
My husband is an ISTJ and I am an ENFP- so in essence we're polar opposites, although we never argue or really get into any huge disagreements. Our marriage is probably one of the happiest marriages amongst our friends. There's nothing wrong with ISTJs at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health