Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2012, 12:55 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,812,748 times

Advertisements

I know its natural to have a fear of snakes. However, I find that during the day (and even sometimes at night when i sleep) random thoughts of being bit by snakes. Not sure why I have thought about it alot as of late. Lol I guess its because I have thought of Arizona as a possible destination to move too and I hear there are problems with snakes getting in people's houses or hiding in parking lots under people's cars...anyway

Also, I think about getting shot ..alot. I had a gun pointed in my face when i was 17 (im 29 now). Ever since then I have been paranoid about violence( even before then I was too). When I am in bed at night, I hear the smallest noise and think someone is going to break in my apartment and shoot me. There has been a lot of violence in indy lately and last week a guy was shot at the gas station around the corner from apt and I live in what is considered a good area. In my dreams, I usually dream about getting shot by random people.

are these types of dreams and thoughts associated with depression? anyone constantly have dreams about these things all the time?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 05:50 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
They are called intrusive thoughts. They are often associated with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Old 06-30-2012, 05:56 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times
Snakes- that's normal...Getting shot or living in an environment where that is possible is NOT normal. I feel really sorry for you...To have a gun pointed at you is something that should never happen...It is trauma...for that moment to believe your life is about to end could cause a bit of post traumatic stress..no different than a soldier how has suffered in the battle zone..Go talk to some one about this...it's more of an issue than you might realize...secondly- maybe you should find a place were there are no lunatics with guns...Good luck- and sleep with the angels...above all have some faith...and know you are protected- that is the other alternative.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:25 PM

I don't know if it's "normal" to be afraid of snakes like that. I'm not afraid of snakes.

Old 06-30-2012, 09:34 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,812,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
They are called intrusive thoughts. They are often associated with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
hmmm interesting...I probably do have OCD.. I have to check my locks at least 3 times when I lock my door to leave my house or when I get out of my car..I also check several times to make sure I don't leave my car lights on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Snakes- that's normal...Getting shot or living in an environment where that is possible is NOT normal. I feel really sorry for you...To have a gun pointed at you is something that should never happen...It is trauma...for that moment to believe your life is about to end could cause a bit of post traumatic stress..no different than a soldier how has suffered in the battle zone..Go talk to some one about this...it's more of an issue than you might realize...secondly- maybe you should find a place were there are no lunatics with guns...Good luck- and sleep with the angels...above all have some faith...and know you are protected- that is the other alternative.
me being robbed at gunpoint happened at a different neighborhood in a different city..I was in a bad area of town because I was hanging with the wrong group of friends who I no longer talk to.

now, I am paranoid who I hang out with or even going to bars sometimes just because im afraid of being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:55 AM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by introspective1 View Post
I know its natural to have a fear of snakes. However, I find that during the day (and even sometimes at night when i sleep) random thoughts of being bit by snakes. Not sure why I have thought about it alot as of late. Lol I guess its because I have thought of Arizona as a possible destination to move too and I hear there are problems with snakes getting in people's houses or hiding in parking lots under people's cars...anyway

Also, I think about getting shot ..alot. I had a gun pointed in my face when i was 17 (im 29 now). Ever since then I have been paranoid about violence( even before then I was too). When I am in bed at night, I hear the smallest noise and think someone is going to break in my apartment and shoot me. There has been a lot of violence in indy lately and last week a guy was shot at the gas station around the corner from apt and I live in what is considered a good area. In my dreams, I usually dream about getting shot by random people.

are these types of dreams and thoughts associated with depression? anyone constantly have dreams about these things all the time?
Honestly, I don't think you need to fear a snake bite in Indy. You may in Arizona.

The other fear, being shot; seems grounded in an experience that you had, which sounds terrifying.
Also, the fact that there has been a lot of violent crime in your area, would make anyone alarmed.

I do think the traumatic event that occurred when you were 17 could have given you post traumatic stress disorder. (PTSD) Google that and see if it fits.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:49 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,288,205 times
i have this recurring dream of falling into a pit of some kind and drowning , i also have this reucurring dream about my father falling into a pit and drowning , hes desceased and did not die in this manner , however , his work often involved working close to pits and the threat of falling in was always there

Old 07-02-2012, 06:39 PM

I agree with sheena that the getting-shot fear is grounded in reality and could be part of PTSD. That was REAL.

I remember reading a true story once by a psychologist who said a guy came to him and said he had constant nightmares about fire, about being trapped in fire and he would wake up in a cold sweat. He wanted the shrink to help him get over the nightmares. The shrink said he started asking him questions about what his fears were and what his family life was like, and finally he asked the patient what he did for a living, and the guy said, "I'm a fireman." LOL

Old 07-03-2012, 10:26 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,461,363 times
The fear of snakes could be a simple phobia. You are certainly not the only person in the world who has this phobia. The fear of being shot may likely be PTSD, given your history of being assaulted with a firearm.

I would avoid seeing Rango. Very funny movie, but you might not like "Jake the Snake."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health