Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 11:36 AM

924 posts, read 1,645,376 times

Advertisements

This is coming from a self acknowledged unattractive person.

Not only does it affect dating life but like it or not it affect's people's impressions of you. It's definitely doing a number on my self-confidence and I'm already subject to depression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 11:44 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,385,483 times
I have my ugly days, and I know I'm not a lot of folks' cup of tea. But plenty of men have found me beautiful, especially after they've gotten to know me. And while I have many attractive features, I've found it's often the ones that I discount the most that men find attractive.

But I like how I look in general. It's the face I've grown up with. If other people don't find it attractive, that's on them. I don't really care all that much about other people's opinions. So there's no struggle to "hold my head up" - accept me on my terms or not, but I don't really have much emotional investment either way. I've got a happy life that I've worked really hard for - superficial schmucks can't rain on that.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:45 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Deal with the depression, get professional help if necessary. Our standard advice around here is to work on developing an outgoing personality, have plenty of interests and/or hobbies to talk about, get involved in volunteer organizations or causes you believe in so you have a sense of accomplishment (that really helps build self-esteem/confidence). It's a little hard to get more specific, since we don't know if you're male or female.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:46 AM

496 posts, read 941,534 times
I am refusing to agree to label anyone "an unattractive person." However, if you're referring to people who are being judged superficially as like the lower 50th percentile or whatever, I can go there. For most of us, we're somewhere in the middle. Some people find us attractive and some don't. For those with high self esteem regardless, I think they experience themselves as the sum of their parts, rather than a public image. Experiencing yourself and your body in a positive way makes life pleasant and builds positive self-associations. Exercise, pursuing your interests, etc: these all help keep you proud of yourself.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:47 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
This is coming from a self acknowledged unattractive person.

Not only does it affect dating life but like it or not it affect's people's impressions of you. It's definitely doing a number on my self-confidence and I'm already subject to depression.
Please, please, get some help for that depression - there is no reason to live like this!

What you "feel" about yourself is making you unattractive, not the other way around.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:49 AM

864 posts, read 1,455,582 times
Everyone has their ugly days, where no matter what they do, they feel like crap about themselves, both on the inside and outside. But if you are battling depression, seek help for that, because it's hard to feel good about yourself when you are depressed. And when you feel good about yourself, it will show up "on the outside." I'm sure these are things you already know, but they do bear repeating. Hang in there.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:51 AM

924 posts, read 1,645,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Please, please, get some help for that depression - there is no reason to live like this!

What you "feel" about yourself is making you unattractive, not the other way around.
Now I may not be as ugly as I claim and this may partially be due to the depression, but I've had enough validation in life to know for a fact I'm on the lower end of the spectrum.

I've also narrowed it down as a jaw issue that's given my face a certain shape (and surgeries exist to correc this jaw issue, it's not plastic surgery either), so it most certainly isn't all in my head, even if the depression is amplifying the magnitude of it.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:55 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,384,553 times
There are unattractive people who are well-liked. There are unattractive people who are not popular.

There are attractive people who are popular. There are attractive people who are not well-liked.

Generally, personality comes into play (yes, it does), abilities and talents, and basic self-esteem emanating from the home environment. Those can help offset those things. If those are absent, it's probably a tougher road. If it's debilitating, psychological intervention is almost necessary.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:02 PM

3,925 posts, read 6,843,555 times
Even the ugliest of people can be hot if they take care of themselves. By that I mean, exercising and eating right, showering and dressing nice. There are things you can do to improve your self esteem, you just have to want it bad enough.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:02 PM

61,753 posts, read 87,217,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
Now I may not be as ugly as I claim and this may partially be due to the depression, but I've had enough validation in life to know for a fact I'm on the lower end of the spectrum.

I've also narrowed it down as a jaw issue that's given my face a certain shape (and surgeries exist to correc this jaw issue, it's not plastic surgery either), so it most certainly isn't all in my head, even if the depression is amplifying the magnitude of it.

And what exactly is so ugly about you? Maybe you can work on that...
People can get corrective surgeries if the physical imperfections affect their daily life, including mental health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health