Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 03:33 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,268,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Glad to hear you're feeling better from unloading junk. I think there's a correlation between unloading physical stuff and unloading mental crap, too.

LOL, that's exactly what I'm planning to do, buy rugs to throw on top of the crappy carpet. But someday, if I can afford a new carpet, I'm going to tell the salesperson that I need carpet in the color they have closest to cat vomit. Hehehe.
I had light tan carpet at the apartment. It was always dirty, plus the dog and cat. It's dusty there are there was a trail by the door. I got floormats, the kind you put under chairs to slide, and laid them out after a carpet cleaning, taped them in place and it was so much simpler.

This house has old hard wood floors, which may need to have plywood on them to reinforce them (dang) but I'll do laminant. The kitchen has stick on tiles. It looks like a lot of them are going to need to be glued in place again, alas, so I'd skip them unless you use glue. But I finally got a space with no furry covers on the floor!

A friend is going to visit and I'm doing my best to get stuff done but just wish the stuff I can't do was done (like finishing leveling the floor, and possibly plywood, thought that I could do) so I can finish what I've got all the stuff in its pile to do. GRRRRRRRRRR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 10:26 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,294,310 times
yes , ive come to accept lately that my life has been one of unrealised potential and wasted talent , through bad luck and bad choices , im a failure

Old 09-15-2012, 05:40 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,626,646 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Glad to hear you're feeling better from unloading junk. I think there's a correlation between unloading physical stuff and unloading mental crap, too.
Yes I think you're right about that. Holding onto personal items that have some sentimental value is just no longer an option. I look at it like this.....if it's a collectible, sell it. Someone else (usually manufacturer) has that item somewhere so if it's that dang important you can always visit their collection. If it's pictures, scan them into the computer and throw them away. I'm even getting rid of things my grandmothers had, if I don't use it I don't need it. They're just things, and I don't need them to remember my grandparents. And I'm especially getting rid of anything that was acquired during my two marriages.

Quote:
LOL, that's exactly what I'm planning to do, buy rugs to throw on top of the crappy carpet. But someday, if I can afford a new carpet, I'm going to tell the salesperson that I need carpet in the color they have closest to cat vomit. Hehehe.
Haha LOL, if your cat is like mine, you'll need a multi-colored carpet.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:56 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,268,827 times
[quote=Ilene Wright;26107986]
Quote:

Yes I think you're right about that. Holding onto personal items that have some sentimental value is just no longer an option. I look at it like this.....if it's a collectible, sell it. Someone else (usually manufacturer) has that item somewhere so if it's that dang important you can always visit their collection. If it's pictures, scan them into the computer and throw them away. I'm even getting rid of things my grandmothers had, if I don't use it I don't need it. They're just things, and I don't need them to remember my grandparents. And I'm especially getting rid of anything that was acquired during my two marriages.

I lost everything when I couldn't pay storage. I would give anything to have some of it back, not a lot but some. I had a lock of my great grandmothers hair. I can still remember what it looked like. The stuff from my married time, not missing that, but I hate the thought that someone would call some of it just 'junk' since it was something that was hers and my grandmothers.

Ah carpets... when the floor is taken care of, lifted, flattened, covered in plywood, I'm going for medium quality laminant. I love the reviews of people with dogs and cats that are SO happy since its still surviving. My current floor is old unsanded hardwood. Too fragile to sand and with nails so not taking the chance. But I'd LOVE to just be able to wipe up tummy upsets and oopsies without problems.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:09 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,626,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post

I lost everything when I couldn't pay storage. I would give anything to have some of it back, not a lot but some. I had a lock of my great grandmothers hair. I can still remember what it looked like. The stuff from my married time, not missing that, but I hate the thought that someone would call some of it just 'junk' since it was something that was hers and my grandmothers.

Ah carpets... when the floor is taken care of, lifted, flattened, covered in plywood, I'm going for medium quality laminant. I love the reviews of people with dogs and cats that are SO happy since its still surviving. My current floor is old unsanded hardwood. Too fragile to sand and with nails so not taking the chance. But I'd LOVE to just be able to wipe up tummy upsets and oopsies without problems.
Yeah that sucks, I wouldn't want to lose my stuff that way, at least I've been able to sell or auction off what I had. Before I had my first auction 5 years ago, I had 3 storage buildings filled to the gills with stuff left over from when I closed my retail business. I had to have an auction and I lost my arse on it but I wouldn't have gotten a thing if I hadn't managed to pay for the storage. I still have too much stuff, with my mother's storage building full and things here at home I have enough for another auction. Although I want to make money, it's more important to me now to just get rid of it all in one shot rather than the money aspect. I guess it is a way to de-clutter the mind as well as your life.

That's what I want too is laminate flooring. Carpet is not good for people with allergies anyway so I feel like it would help me a lot to get rid of it. I look forward to the day when I can do that.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:33 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
[quote=Ilene Wright;26107986]
Quote:

Maybe they have a cat-vomit tweed.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:55 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,076,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
yes , ive come to accept lately that my life has been one of unrealised potential and wasted talent , through bad luck and bad choices , im a failure
I feel the same way. I wonder how many of us there are out there.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:39 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
That's really upsetting. You are not a loser.
You don't know that.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:53 AM

18 posts, read 19,517 times
I don't know about missed out, but I was born ugly and with several noticeable deformities due to a rare syndrome. I was picked on and teased at school and into adulthood. I've never had a true girlfriend.

I feel that I've missed out on many things that normals take for granted such as having a partner, being among groups of friends or part of something, jobs, a college education. My self-esteem is completely non-existent and my anxiety caused by my ugliness severely restricts my ability to do the simplest of tasks.

Hopefully death will come soon and naturally. I don't hate the world, as in all things natural (the plants, animals and the earth's amazing scenery). I do hate what humans do to one another and to the planet. I am tired of being treated like a leper.

I don't wish any harm to my family, but watching younger and better looking siblings pass me by has just added to the pain I already felt. Hopefully things wil be better in the next life and I'll be at least somewhat normal.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:45 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,633,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Well things are better now but I feel that I've lost out on some chunks of my life that I won't ever get back. One is the ten years that I dealt with a seizure disorder and that was right around the time that I was finishing college and ready to start a career but I wasn't even supposed to be driving. When my bosses at the job I had found out that I had a seizure disorder they began to pressure me to quit but I dug in instead and kept a crap job rather than getting into a better position b/c I had lost so much confidence over the seizure disorder. A disorder that I haven't had a problem with since I stopped consuming aspartame in any form btw.

But I only found that out when I got pregnant and cleaned up my diet and had babies and stayed home with them and was a housewife for years and homeschooled my kids but then I found out that my husband of 23 years was never a "real" husband as he was gay, so I feel that I kind of missed that big chunk too. It wasn't even that great of a marriage but it never seemed quite bad enough to leave and I think that's part of my irritation with the whole thing--that I wasted my life on a sham of a marriage. So, I've never really had anyone that truly loved me and that bothers me, esp since I'm over 50 and may have missed my chance at real happiness. But I keep reminding myself that this is an American dream and not real and that people all thru history have lived in circumstances so much worse than anything I ever had to endure. Yeah I had a husband that didn't love me, but at least he's the one I chose and not one chosen by my parents and he didn't beat me and TG I had the option of divorce. And even if you did choose your husband in those days, you had less to choose from and anyone over 50 probably didn't have teeth left anyway and you lost half your kids to mumps and never got halloween candy. So maybe life isn't what it's all about--I hope not anyway. This is just a testing ground--or a dumping ground--not sure which. Hang in there OP and I hope tomorrow looks brighter. I don't think we missed out on life--this was our life and we've had glad times and sad times and we're all still here. Unless someone just keeled over on the computer but I hope not.
I think Buddists believe that life is suffering, so when something bad happens they are not surprised, and when something good happens, they are extra happy about it. In the US we watch too many Hollywood movies with happy endings and do at times expect life to be perfect.

My mother had a bad and loveless marriage, but stayed with it out of fear until my father died when she was 60. In her late 60s she found the love of her life though - so that is an inspiration to me and shows you should never give up hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health