Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 02:03 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,400,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa07 View Post
I don't understand why there are so many people these days who can't handle the normal day to day stress of life without popping a pill. I have 3 friends, that I know of, that are on anti-depressants and they spend most of their day sleeping. What is the sense of these pills? I realize that there are people with severe mental illness, who need to be on them, but for those of you who can't handle the normal every day stresses, getting the kids off to school, paying bills, break ups and all the other normal stuff that you say stresses you out, what is the point of sleeping thur life, stop taking the pills, take control of your life and do something about it. If your sleeping nothing is getting accomplished or straightened out. Someone please explain.
I can think of a couple of reasons:

- Because huge profits are to be made selling these drugs, and the drug companies are making mega buck right now.

- Because the U.S. allows drug companies to run advertisements on television !!!!

- Because people have to work, work, work to pay for their big houses and luxury cars and since they can't afford to slow down and think about their problems, it's easier to just pop a pill !!

Greenie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 02:05 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,400,676 times
But then you see people who refuse to take any meds but they'll smoke or drink martinis and wine every night to self medicate. Life is not easy !!!!

Old 10-08-2007, 02:11 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
I had a friend that was on prozac, but she was still depressed and was afraid to go off prazac. That didn't make sense to me.

when I had chronic fatigue my doctor tried to get me to take prozac so I would sleep better. I refused, and he kept pushing. Still, I refused. I finally began juicing with carrots, celery, etc and was not only able to sleep but got over my chronic fatigue.

So what I am saying is that doctors push people on them, as do commercials. Everyone wants a quick fix.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:27 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,651,499 times
I think the amount of people who jump for pills is utterly disgusting. 30 years ago, everyone got along just fine and handled things without popping a pill to be the end all-be all. '

What it comes down to is FOOD and what is in the food you are eating. Our food is so much more polluted than it was years ago.
- Hormones
- Pesticides
- Chemicals
- Pasteurizations
- Mercury levels in fish
- Etc.

I am always amazed to see people say they are paranoid about what they put in their body but yet will say it right after they finished a Twinkie or a bag of Doritos. The problem IS what you are putting in your body. Yes, it will depress you from the inside out. No one should really be surprised to be depressed if they are eating badly. Even some who say they eat "healthy" - it is not healthy. Not at all - they need to check what is in their food. Lean Cuisine or Weight Watchers foods - does not constitute "healthy." It's a bunch of chemicals.

It's those quick fixes that are going to send people to their graves early - combined with what unhealthy foods they are eating. The pills will just get you there a little faster.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:27 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,598,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
- Because people have to work, work, work to pay for their big houses and luxury cars and since they can't afford to slow down and think about their problems, it's easier to just pop a pill!! Greenie
I partially agree with your statment. Not counting people who are in physical pain, I think it's a combination of people with low self esteem and/or people living beyond their means. These are the situations which I am familiar with. The people I know who take antidepressants fall into one or both of these categories. They think they deserve the best of everything, but they're not willing to make the effort or take the time to acquire it bit by bit. They want it now! If their neighbor, co-worker, friend or family member has the next best thing, they think they should have it too.

I am not saying that all anti depressants are bad all of the time. I'm glad they are available. I wish they'd have been around back when my mom was alive. She had depression for most of my childhood years.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:26 PM

163 posts, read 908,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMachine View Post
I can think of a couple of reasons:

- Because huge profits are to be made selling these drugs, and the drug companies are making mega buck right now.

- Because the U.S. allows drug companies to run advertisements on television !!!!

- Because people have to work, work, work to pay for their big houses and luxury cars and since they can't afford to slow down and think about their problems, it's easier to just pop a pill !!

Greenie
Exactly, this pretty much sums it up.

The other main reason people are depressed is because of the typical American diet. We are a nation of people who are overfed but undernourished. The stuff most people call "food", has the nutritional value of a steaming pile of dog crap. To add insult to injury, it's also loaded with harmful chemicals and preservatives. The body and mind are not separate, they act as a whole...and if you constantly shovel junk down that hole in your face, it's going to impact how your brain works.

But alas, people are too busy to cook a meal of real food, so they eat processed, factory made "food".

If you want to get over depression, the solution is real simple; only eat real, whole, unprocessed foods. Nothing that comes in a box, can, or bag. Nothing that has ingredients you can't pronounce or don't know what they are.

Also, get yourself a high quality fish oil supplement. Most people are suffering from a deficiency of Omega 3 fats in their diet. There''s all sorts of research proving that getting plenty of high quality Omega 3 fats is the number one thing you can do for a healthy, depression-free brain.

Also, people need to get some exercise! Research shows exercise works just as well as drugs, when it comes to treating depression.

Old 10-11-2007, 03:35 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdummy View Post
Also, people need to get some exercise! Research shows exercise works just as well as drugs, when it comes to treating depression.
I agree with this.
Quote:
Your point is well taken, but it makes no sense to me that someone would settle for evening things out when they could actually HEAL the underlying problem by learning and using EFT or TAT. The danger of the drug is that they are less likely to make the effort to heal themselves of the underlying problem becasue things might appear to be OK
New Age, my friends who had been on mild anti-depressants *are* okay now.
As a matter of fact, they are more than merely okay--they are all doing really well these days.
Mind over matter is an incredible thing, but I think that sometimes problems are less complicated than we think.
Sometimes we merely need to be "reset." Then we are able to climb out of the trough we are in, and get on with our lives.
Having said all that, I completely agree that drugs can be overly prescribed, especially for children.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:33 AM

163 posts, read 908,712 times
There are people who truly need to be on anti-depressants, but I think the majority of people taking them are the results of doctors who are eager to write a Rx, and patients who are not willing to take an active role in their health.

Anti-depressants can help "get you over the hump", or "reset you" so to speak, but they are not a permanent solution. If you don't address the underlying issues, your depression is going to come back as soon as you quit taking the drugs. I've seen this happen time and time again.

There is a reason your brain is suffering from depression, and that reason is not that you are suffering from a deficiency of Paxil. The reason is because of underlying emotional and/or nutritional issues...and until these are addressed, a permanent solution will not be found.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:37 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
I have a friend that was depressed for around 15 years. She said that she had been in therapy forever, but nothing could help her. Then she read someone in some metaphysical book that it was "your thoughts that depress you, and not the other way around." I wrote down what she said, so I remember it well. She said that she had been taught in therapy that she was depressed due to a chemical problem and that because she was depressed she had negative thoughts. She had also been to several therapists over the years. Well, she thought about what she was thinking all day after reading that it was your thoughts that depress you, and so she began making up positive affirmations and she said she cured herself within a month or two. She now says that she believes that your thoughts cause chemical changes in the brain. Anyway, I just thought that I would throw that out here for what it is worth.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:33 AM

558 posts, read 2,248,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
I have a friend that was depressed for around 15 years. She said that she had been in therapy forever, but nothing could help her. Then she read someone in some metaphysical book that it was "your thoughts that depress you, and not the other way around." I wrote down what she said, so I remember it well. She said that she had been taught in therapy that she was depressed due to a chemical problem and that because she was depressed she had negative thoughts. She had also been to several therapists over the years. Well, she thought about what she was thinking all day after reading that it was your thoughts that depress you, and so she began making up positive affirmations and she said she cured herself within a month or two. She now says that she believes that your thoughts cause chemical changes in the brain. Anyway, I just thought that I would throw that out here for what it is worth.
Well said...and while it seems so simple, this philosophy makes a lot of sense. It would also explain why antidepressant meds would work when used on a temporary basis--they assist you in stopping the negative thoughts, and you can adjust your future thinking and potentially raise your seratonin levels..."curing" the depression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health