Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 10:15 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times

Advertisements

There are different kinds of people!

"Addictive types" (weak person) can and will become addicted to anything for any little old reason.

"Non-addictive types" (strong person) will not become addicted under any circumstances - is capable of stopping the use of substances which are addictive.

For example I am a non-addictive type, was given prescription pain killers for 6 months due to a painful injury. Then when all was healed, I just stopped taking the pain medicine (Vicodin). And I was glad to stop taking it because I prefer a normal clear mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 11:00 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
There are different kinds of people!

"Addictive types" (weak person) can and will become addicted to anything for any little old reason.

"Non-addictive types" (strong person) will not become addicted under any circumstances - is capable of stopping the use of substances which are addictive.

For example I am a non-addictive type, was given prescription pain killers for 6 months due to a painful injury. Then when all was healed, I just stopped taking the pain medicine (Vicodin). And I was glad to stop taking it because I prefer a normal clear mind.
You oversimplify. There are addictive types, but it is not a question of weakness or strength, it is a case of genetic predisposition.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:06 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
You oversimplify. There are addictive types, but it is not a question of weakness or strength, it is a case of genetic predisposition.
Well then they have a genetic predisposition to be weak [minded]!

Old 10-08-2014, 11:20 AM

10,234 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
I live in Florida, the "pill mill" capitol. You would be amazed at the number of senior addicts we have here, they doctor shop and even buy the pain killers on the street. Their systems do not assimilate the drugs at the same rate as a younger person and many fall, pass out and end up in the hospital over and over again. It is sad, and they just don't understand that they have become addicts, their answer is "Well my doctor wrote a prescription" so it is what I need. Many seniors in their 70's, 80's, don't even question their doctors, they believe and do whatever they say...strange to me.
Seniors are people having the most surgeries. Pain meds after surgeries. Take for a few days, stop, and pain returns. So continue taking feel great again. Finish them. Go back to the doctor. How is your pain? Oh, I still have pain when I don't take the meds, or cut down on them. Cannot have people in pain, so doctor gives more meds. It does not take very long to get addicted to Oxycodone. I live in Florida. People are terrified of pain, and doctors think they are doing their job by not letting their patients be in pain. My husband's boss and my husband both got addicted to pain meds after surgeries. His boss was addicted for years, lost his job, and was on the street. After two weeks of seeing my husband nodding out, and DRIVING, I took the pills away from him. You are addicted to this. NO MORE. Furious at first, but when he experienced withdrawal symptoms he knew he was. Take a few Tylenol if you are still in "pain". He changed doctors. When he needed another surgery, he told them "don't give me any of that Oxycodone crap." He was given something very mild to use at home for a fews, then took Tylenol.

It happens even with dentists here. Automatic pain script after a root canal or extraction. I once had a receptionist chase me to my car telling me to take my pain script. I don't want it. She ARGUED with me over that. Doctor says you will be in pain and will need this. Woman, I am a Senior and have had multiple extractions and root canals in my life. If I say I don't need them, then I think I know my own pain level. Few Tylenlol for one day will be fine. Drove away, and never went back there.

Yes, this is a probelm in Florida, and with Seniors.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:15 PM

38 posts, read 59,573 times
i can chime in on this one. ive been on all kinds on pain meds in the last 15 years thanks to 1 a back injury and 2 i have crippling arthritis which is in my back also. out of all the pain meds ive been on only morphine was my BODY ever addicted to. all the others, vicodine oxycodine, ect. i can take for days on in and stop, just a headache the day after i stop. but morphine omg. i was on it for 3 years and let me tell you i now know what heroin addicts go through to get off that crap.

but what i have seen there are people like me that have the disposition for not getting addicted mentally but body wise thats where the addiction lays.
others thou are addicted to the high. thats where it is dangerous and makes it hard for the people that truly need it. i never took the pain meds for the high, only to take the edge off the pain. but a lot of people take it for both and the few that take it just to get high. these last 2 are the ones that tend to overdose.
its just a mental thing some can handle it but the majority cant.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:31 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,208,954 times
sure all the posts on here are right on but the person who started this wants to blame the doctor
that person is responsible for them self not the doc

Old 10-08-2014, 09:00 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,357,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
hey it is NOT the doctor's fault if you get hooked on the pills
talk to your doctor right away and take responsibility for yourself
one of the things addicts do is blame others!!
it is plainly stated that narcotics can be habit forming!!
If you only needed a few pills and you kept taking them that is on you!!!
Quit blaming your doctor!! If this was the FIRST time you have taken them, which I doubt
you would not get addicted so quick
I happen to be in recovery an I was always blaming someone else
Why should a doctor loose their license because you can not be honest??
Good grief!!
I have never been addicted to anything thank you very much.

And your recklessly lumping In Attics of illegal drugs with those who went to a doctor legally and under their guidance to get legal drugs and oversight that they paid for. The doctor is there to put his signature on every medication that you receive basically signing off that it is ok for you to put these drugs in your body.

And to those of you who say you can't blame the doctor I have a question. Why do patients have to go to a doctor to receive controlled addictive substances? Why aren't they OTC?

Old 10-09-2014, 05:08 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I have never been addicted to anything thank you very much.

And your recklessly lumping In Attics of illegal drugs with those who went to a doctor legally and under their guidance to get legal drugs and oversight that they paid for. The doctor is there to put his signature on every medication that you receive basically signing off that it is ok for you to put these drugs in your body.

And to those of you who say you can't blame the doctor I have a question. Why do patients have to go to a doctor to receive controlled addictive substances? Why aren't they OTC?
An addict can get legal drugs illegally. You know that, right? They may get them from a dr with oversight, but they can also get them from their buddy or on the street, which is illegal.

A dr does not prescribe them for the patient to abuse. It is ok for you to use the medication, as long as it is used as prescribed.

As soon as the patient starts using more than prescribed, like going to other drs, ers, etc or getting it from a friend, on the street it is all on the patient.

They are not OTC because they are controlled and addictive medications.

Why is it so hard for you to understand? Also, patients have a brain. They make decisions. I have these prescriptions in my house right now. I live with extreme pain. I do not abuse these medications. I have some that need to be disposed of because I have had them for so long.

I do not want to become dependent on these medications. I am sure my dr would give them to me on a monthly basis because of the pain I am in but I do not want them.

I know that my mother and many other in my family are/were alcoholics. I know that there are people in my family who have drug addictions. I don't like how they make me feel, and I do not want that for myself.

The patient has free will to make their own choices.

Old 10-09-2014, 07:46 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Some people will suffer a severe injury and need to be on pain pills for weeks, I broke my ankle in three places and had surgery, I have a plate and seven screws now, during that time I was given 200 Vicodin and 60 percocets, I did not get addicted but some people could have.
Yes, some people are more prone to addiction than others. I had a housemate who was undergoing cancer treatment. At her first appointment, her doctor gave her a prescription for 100 percocets. Although she was an alcoholic, sober at the time, she had no desire to take the painkillers unless she had real pain.

She told me to use them if I wanted them, and I did. Every night after work for a week, I'd take a percocet and go outside and work until I dug out a big old tree stump and its many long roots from the garden in front of the house. I was able to do it on the percocets because I felt no stiffness or pain. But when I was finished, I didn't keep taking them.

Old 10-09-2014, 08:07 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,357,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
An addict can get legal drugs illegally. You know that, right? They may get them from a dr with oversight, but they can also get them from their buddy or on the street, which is illegal.

A dr does not prescribe them for the patient to abuse. It is ok for you to use the medication, as long as it is used as prescribed.

As soon as the patient starts using more than prescribed, like going to other drs, ers, etc or getting it from a friend, on the street it is all on the patient.

They are not OTC because they are controlled and addictive medications.

Why is it so hard for you to understand? Also, patients have a brain. They make decisions. I have these prescriptions in my house right now. I live with extreme pain. I do not abuse these medications. I have some that need to be disposed of because I have had them for so long.

I do not want to become dependent on these medications. I am sure my dr would give them to me on a monthly basis because of the pain I am in but I do not want them.

I know that my mother and many other in my family are/were alcoholics. I know that there are people in my family who have drug addictions. I don't like how they make me feel, and I do not want that for myself.

The patient has free will to make their own choices.
My post was regarding patients who only get medications from their doctor and use as prescribed. I thought I made that clear. I mentioned nowhere them doctor shopping or getting them from the street corner. These are things they do after they are addicted. I specifically said getting addicted in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health