Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 11:37 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,681,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
Really? I hope this was a joke. If you a just "bored" you shouldn't take a pill to try to be "less bored." No, boredom in and of itself is not a form of mental illness (nor is it a part of any mental illness I can possibly think of). I agree that those who are bored are usually not challenging themselves enough. I'm not going to say "get a new hobby," but if you are keeping yourself technically busy, I would ask yourself if you are happy with what you are doing.
I have heard of people that become less bored after taking a pill. In fact, they take some drugs and find fascination in everything, from the imagined (drug induced hallucinations) to the mundane (tweaking on meth and constantly cleaning, vacuuming, sorting things).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 08:20 PM

5 posts, read 71,308 times
Exclamation add

[I thought it was attetion defecite disorder. I really ahte to amke the bed with same sheets. I change them every couple days just for a new look.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:36 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,537,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
I know many people who can do just about nothing all day and not get bored. I know people who do the same tedious tasks at work- day after day and they do not get bored. I know people who can sit and stare into space for long periods of time and not get bored. Are these people mentally right?

I have always struggled with boredom. It is not a question of staying busy but the typical activities found in life just do not keep my mind active enough to relieve the boredom. My mind goes thousand miles an hour and I bore easily. Do not tell me to get a new hobby, that is not the issue.

Maybe boredom is more common than I think, or maybe few people are really bored like me and it is more like a mental illness. Tell us about boredom in your life.
This is an interesting topic that I have discussed with a friend of mine. Neither one of us, in our combined 90 years, has ever been bored.

We are both mind dwellers. Books, movies, the news; anything we absorb stays with us for sometime. There is always something going on that requires discussion....

I think having a very close, best friend a phone call away is very helpful. It is not uncommon for us to talk on the phone nearly everyday, for at least an hour. She can do things while she talks, I, on the other hand, have lost the ability to even fold laundry while on the phone, so there is always plenty to do when I get off the phone.

If anything, I put off daily tasks to entertain myself with a book or a movie.

I call them N.U.T.S "Nagging unfinished tasks." I always have plenty to do and a list of things I wish to create.

I don't think boredom is a mental illness; more like a mismanagement of time.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:16 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
Boredom is a substitute for other feelings.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:27 PM

862 posts, read 1,051,497 times
Boredom is more of a spiritual than mental problem.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:28 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
no, but not doing anything about it is.

Old 12-27-2008, 01:51 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,703,488 times
I think ppl who can do the same thing day after day are crazy..lol. Like ppl who work in factories. I am thankful there are ppl like that but I wonder if anything is going on in their mind with such a lack of stimulation.

Different strokes for different folks.

Old 12-27-2008, 04:59 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
Well I get bored easily but I have ADD--it depends on whether you consider ADD a mental disorder or not. Fortunately I have many ways to keep myself entertained. I take a book w/ me wherever I go so I never have to stand in a line w/ nothing to do. If I do get in a line w/o a book, you can be sure I'll be talking to somebody pretty soon. I've begun memorizing poetry recently--a lost art, but a great way to keep your mind occupied. I could never do a job that is too repetitive. I have done, but I got to daydreaming so much that I was too slow and got in trouble. I like to read little tidbits of philosophy to mull over when times are quiet, or I'm often thinking of a character in a book or a friend or something, so I guess I'm not usually bored, though it's easy for me to become so if there aren't any books around.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:37 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,353,570 times
And as for me, I think that ADD is just the condition of mankind.

I always thought that boredom was the sign of an intelligent person who just hasn't directed his/her energies in a direction that will make them not bored. And then there are those that demand action all the time. Neither is a sign of mental illness, but it certainly seems like they can be addictions.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:03 AM

290 posts, read 637,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
Well, if we're talking about an assembly-type job, that would bore me. But, by the same token, if I didn't have to actively think about the task at hand, then I could basically "split" my brain, as it were. Use just enough to keep the job moving along, and use the rest of it to think about other stuff, that was of more interest to me. Just as I am sure most of them do. Does that make sense? Not that I would want an assembly-type of job, (though I certainly would take it, if I needed it), but I hardly think that those folks who have one, are mentally lacking. I believe the situation with the mentally-handicapped folks is different from other people who work on an assembly line.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u16/gregg1971/animated%20gifs/377132001230479844-final.gif (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health