Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 10:38 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,812,748 times

Advertisements

Every time I visit my psychiatrist, he will ask me some stupid questions like "are you still employed" or he will try to convince me I need to get a girlfriend, then he will write me a prescription for refills on my meds but he doesn't talk about how to get me better so I can get off my depression and anxiety meds. I am sick of taking medicine everyday and taking these psych meds can cause damage to your liver and kidneys from what I hear yet some people take them for many years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 10:44 PM

276 posts, read 178,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
Every time I visit my psychiatrist, he will ask me some stupid questions like "are you still employed" or he will try to convince me I need to get a girlfriend, then he will write me a prescription for refills on my meds but he doesn't talk about how to get me better so I can get off my depression and anxiety meds. I am sick of taking medicine everyday and taking these psych meds can cause damage to your liver and kidneys from what I hear yet some people take them for many years.
I wish I could help you. We all have our struggles. What hspprns if you stop taking them?

Old 10-27-2017, 05:26 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,060,493 times
Very few psychiatrists actually provide counseling. They mostly provide prescriptions, which many mental illnesses require.
You need an LCSW or a psychologist for therapy. Ask for a reference. Good luck

Old 10-27-2017, 09:56 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,760,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
Very few psychiatrists actually provide counseling. They mostly provide prescriptions, which many mental illnesses require.
You need an LCSW or a psychologist for therapy. Ask for a reference. Good luck
This, find a psychologist or licensed therapist who can help address your issues.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:38 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
From the years 1991 to 2002 I was in a nasty depression and believed in my gut it was a sluggish thyroid and for those years the doctors kept telling me my numbers are good "You are Fine" and proceeded to write A/D scripts. YUCKKKK

Then it got to the point where I could not afford the YUCKKK drugs and sent to a county psych so she could write the scripts for more A/D drugs...she would not offer any words but would write.

Finally an old time D.O. who worked on my back for years, called in for thyroid support, no labs nadda and the long depression lifted in a few days. 10 yrs of those costly drugs and finally getting thyroid supported with inexpensive meds.

Our medical world is so upside down and so driven by the dollars vs helping people get well. So many doctors are on different pages and it's a real crime putting it lightly. So so many doctors are purely legal drug pushers.

Old 10-27-2017, 01:59 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,760,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
So so many doctors are purely legal drug pushers.
And there are many many doctors that are prescribing drugs that actually help people. You hate doctors, that's obvious from all your posts but there are many who are doing the right thing and helping people.

Old 10-27-2017, 02:09 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
And there are many many doctors that are prescribing drugs that actually help people. You hate doctors, that's obvious from all your posts but there are many who are doing the right thing and helping people.
I don't hate doctors as I've seen my share and gone thru issues with doctors. And I take a couple meds that do help me BUT, so so so many do not get to the roots and there are roots of issues as we do work to find in the holistic/alternative worlds of medicine. Don't say what you think I think. I went 10 yrs with depression and it was thyroid all along...doesn't that say something about doctors NOT finding that problem in my body. I've experienced plenty in these 79 yrs.

There are many issues, I believe, that lead to depression and the answer is not always more drugs.

OT: I just lived thru 4.5 months of not getting the proper dx for what was found to be a staph infection by the team of doctors who are supposed to know so much.

There are brilliant doctors out there and many I can teach things to.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 10-27-2017 at 02:19 PM..

Old 10-27-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_wuz_here View Post
I wish I could help you. We all have our struggles. What hspprns if you stop taking them?
Well I read that you are not just supposed to stop taking the meds because they can mess you up pretty bad if you do. Diarrhea, trouble sleeping, nausea, etc.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:34 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,051,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
Sometimes those stupid questions can reveal important info about your day to day functioning.

reebo has good insight. Most psychiatrists do not do therapy (well).
Your questions about your meds are justified and a goal to discontinue them is something worth pursuing.
Have you tried this facility for a therapist who is on board with your plan?

https://www.claytoncenter.org/adult-counseling.cms

Find a team to partner with who will help you achieve your optimum!

Old 10-28-2017, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
Sometimes those stupid questions can reveal important info about your day to day functioning.

reebo has good insight. Most psychiatrists do not do therapy (well).
Your questions about your meds are justified and a goal to discontinue them is something worth pursuing.
Have you tried this facility for a therapist who is on board with your plan?

https://www.claytoncenter.org/adult-counseling.cms

Find a team to partner with who will help you achieve your optimum!
Thanks for the link. I actually already have a therapist that I go to.

The thing I don't like about my psychiatrist, however, is that when he asks if I have been having suicidal or homicidal thoughts and I say "yeah I have thought about suicide"..he doesn't really show that much concern. It's kinda odd...I mean, I understand they have a lot of patients they have to see but I figured they would just show some kinda concern
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health