Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2018, 11:54 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,318,759 times

Advertisements

Meanwhile I just read the thread on Mental Health about "The shocking secret about anti-depressants". Every time I have to take a pill I've never taken before I have a panic attack. I've had two bad reactions to meds (not anti depressants) over the years so I've extremely fearful of side effects from anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2018, 12:05 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Thank you for your response. I have been on: Depakote, Lexapro, Celexa, Cymbalta & Lamictal. They all worked great at first except the Depakote which made me manic. I almost enjoyed that rather than the depression. I actually felt like a normal person on the others but it never lasted more than two years and when they quit working I felt worse than I did before. Then the psychiatrist would change the medication and it would start all over again. When I went to bed at night I used to pray to die in my sleep. I even considered ECT when in the hospital last time.

I also read recently that dysthymia is very hard to treat once you get to be my age. I feel like it is pretty hopeless. I will be living with this till the day I die.

However, I am going to call my therapist this week and see if I can get in to see him. Maybe he can give me some help and suggestions for a private psychiatrist and not the one at our county clinic. That place was enough to give anybody anxiety as they treat drug addicts, etc. and it's not close by at all.

Good, glad you'll make that effort. As I mentioned, treatment-resistant depression might be what you have and that requires differing meds and maybe other treatments. New meds appear on the market frequently.

I know you feel hopeless...I'm older too, but still maintain I eventually found meds that helped me.

I certainly hope the same for you. Keep us informed.

Old 05-22-2018, 05:49 AM

So apparently no psychiatrists in my areas are available. They either aren't taking new patients, they are booked until August or they don't take my insurance. One that did have an opening but was self pay wanted $350 for the first visit and "around" $90 for follow-up appointments. No wonder we have so many mentally ill people in this country who aren't getting any treatment. I did manage to snag an appointment with a therapist I saw a couple of times a few years ago but even that isn't until June 27th. Since he can't really prescribe meds, it's probably not going to help much. I think my issue is more of a brain chemistry thing.

My only other choice is the local psych hospital to see if they take people on an outpatient basis. I was hospitalized there one time and I'm afraid they will evaluate me and make me stay. Like I said before they weren't much help when I was there 4 years ago and they had only two doctors who saw you for all of 15 minutes. You're basically a guinea pig: here we'll try this medication and if that doesn't work we'll try something else or add something to it. I'm afraid of all these medications.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:02 AM

But in FL there must be a way....you might have to travel...what about Ft. Myers?

what about your primary MD? Those that have some knowledge will often prescribe ADs...mine does...then you can also see your therapist.

Just have to trust and make the effort to try new meds...I understand you can feel like gp, but trying different meds is part of finding a solution.

Keep looking...or go back to the clinic where you have been before...tell them just that you want to try new meds, not your entire story.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:32 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
So apparently no psychiatrists in my areas are available. They either aren't taking new patients, they are booked until August or they don't take my insurance. One that did have an opening but was self pay wanted $350 for the first visit and "around" $90 for follow-up appointments. No wonder we have so many mentally ill people in this country who aren't getting any treatment. I did manage to snag an appointment with a therapist I saw a couple of times a few years ago but even that isn't until June 27th. Since he can't really prescribe meds, it's probably not going to help much. I think my issue is more of a brain chemistry thing.

My only other choice is the local psych hospital to see if they take people on an outpatient basis. I was hospitalized there one time and I'm afraid they will evaluate me and make me stay. Like I said before they weren't much help when I was there 4 years ago and they had only two doctors who saw you for all of 15 minutes. You're basically a guinea pig: here we'll try this medication and if that doesn't work we'll try something else or add something to it. I'm afraid of all these medications.
All psychiatrists where I live have a 3 month wait to get in and see them. Every single one. Go ahead and schedule an appointment with someone and get to work while you're waiting for your appointment. You can hopefully learn a few new things, try a few new things, and discuss the results with your doctor when August gets here. Good luck.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:27 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
The thread title reminds me of the story of Brian Wilson. He didn't get out of bed for 3 years. I can't remember if that is while he was over-medicated, or just depressed/self-medicating.

Old 05-23-2018, 12:55 PM

2,362 posts, read 1,924,785 times
Ive been treating anxiety for a few years now...Cymbalta...im 49 married with a young kid
It killed most of my anxiety (all of my libido) and now I just flat line...no highs no lows

recently Ive been sleeping a lot...seems I'm only happy when I'm in bed
weekends ive spent all sunday in bed, faking illness or back injury

avoiding social events...being "sick" on holidays...I just want to lay in bed, in a dark room, with a fan on and my phone

imstead of playing guitar or shooting I watch youtube videos of others doing this for enjoyment...cant motivate myself to do it

crying to and from work,,,missing my dad...
although I would never consider suicide, it feels like I'm ready...done...counting the days till its over

have had chest pains and rather than treat this or get checked I am actually hoping this is finally it...nothing to look forward to...I cant even find enjoyment with my daughter

I know I am severely depressed and don't want TO ADD another medication to fix

Old 05-23-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
Ive been treating anxiety for a few years now...Cymbalta...im 49 married with a young kid
It killed most of my anxiety (all of my libido) and now I just flat line...no highs no lows

recently Ive been sleeping a lot...seems I'm only happy when I'm in bed
weekends ive spent all sunday in bed, faking illness or back injury

avoiding social events...being "sick" on holidays...I just want to lay in bed, in a dark room, with a fan on and my phone

imstead of playing guitar or shooting I watch youtube videos of others doing this for enjoyment...cant motivate myself to do it

crying to and from work,,,missing my dad...
although I would never consider suicide, it feels like I'm ready...done...counting the days till its over

have had chest pains and rather than treat this or get checked I am actually hoping this is finally it...nothing to look forward to...I cant even find enjoyment with my daughter

I know I am severely depressed and don't want TO ADD another medication to fix

Sorry to hear all this. Been there.

WHY are you reluctant about another med??? So what??? I'm on 4 psych meds and finally can say I feel the best ever! At least get one psychiatric eval, see what is recommended.

Don't live like this...missing out on your daughter's life? Decide you'll go for an appt just for her. She deserves your full attention and you deserve to participate in her life and her happiness.

Please make an appt.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:57 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:

Were you suicidal? Is that why they put a hold on you? I think an outpatient program is a good idea. Here, it's about 6 hours a day, you see a doc once a week. You go to therapy, gym, classes. I think there is a shorter one too. Evenings only.

Pretty sure my friend did both kinds. She got a lot out of it.

Here there is an enormous difference between county hospital and private. You have insurance? One thing a lot of people want is a place that doesn't take involuntary holds. Then you're dealing with psychotic people and that is rather un-therapeutic.

Old 05-27-2018, 09:24 AM

Jencam - yes I was suicidal. The one I was in the first time was in a city 2 hours away as that was all that was available. The second one was local. I have insurance so I don't believe they were county run. I got nothing out of it; group time made me even more anxious. When you are Baker Acted you are treated like a prisoner. Everything is taken away that could possibly be used to self harm including Breathe Rite Strips (some have a tiny wire in them), tampons (like someone is going to kill themselves with that tiny string), contact lens solution, etc. And the thing is it's more about them being afraid of liability than the hospital caring about their patients.

The last time I was in the local one, some guy was wondering the hallway. No supervision on the late night shift. This guy could have come in and killed or raped any of us women. This particular hospital already has a lawsuit against them for sexual assault by a member of staff.

I know I probably need meds but I'm so anxious about taking them especially when you hear all the side effects on the commercials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health