Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2018, 01:21 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
But that's not why I am taking it...
oh, gotcha you meant they aren't given to YOU for sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 05:23 AM

15,220 posts, read 10,325,155 times
So I went to my son's doctor; actually she is the nurse practitioner and I couldn't believe how much time she spent with me. I was probably in with her a good 45 minutes. At first she wanted to put me on that new anti-depressant call Trintellix but I told her I didn't want to take a medication that was new to the market and explained my phobia about drugs. So then she gave me Wellbutrin and said it should help with the depression, the anxiety and help me focus more. She is also sending me for blood work and for a new DNA test that helps pinpoint what anti-depressant will work best for me. They take my insurance AND they have psychiatrists in their practice. I had never heard of this test but I do remember my son telling me how she will research anything she is not familiar with. I was quite impressed with her.

I took my first one yesterday with lunch. She advised taking one in the a.m. with breakfast and one around 3 p.m. She said some people find it keeps them awake so not to take it later in the day. I felt a little better yesterday and while I'm sure it's not the one pill I took, I think it is the feeling of finally getting some help.

How is everyone else doing today?

Old 06-08-2018, 08:28 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,871,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
So I went to my son's doctor; actually she is the nurse practitioner and I couldn't believe how much time she spent with me. I was probably in with her a good 45 minutes. At first she wanted to put me on that new anti-depressant call Trintellix but I told her I didn't want to take a medication that was new to the market and explained my phobia about drugs. So then she gave me Wellbutrin and said it should help with the depression, the anxiety and help me focus more. She is also sending me for blood work and for a new DNA test that helps pinpoint what anti-depressant will work best for me. They take my insurance AND they have psychiatrists in their practice. I had never heard of this test but I do remember my son telling me how she will research anything she is not familiar with. I was quite impressed with her.

I took my first one yesterday with lunch. She advised taking one in the a.m. with breakfast and one around 3 p.m. She said some people find it keeps them awake so not to take it later in the day. I felt a little better yesterday and while I'm sure it's not the one pill I took, I think it is the feeling of finally getting some help.

Yay....good to hear. Glad she took so much time....I take Wellbutrin too. Combined with my other AD, it made a huge difference. Hope the same for you.

Old 06-08-2018, 02:09 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times
Quote:

Great news!

Old 06-11-2018, 06:22 AM

Yesterday was a very bad day. I never even got out of my pajamas and instead of taking my dog for her usual evening walk I just let her out in the fenced back yard and then I felt bad because she loves her evening walk.

I watched old TV shows, stayed on C-D longer than I usually do, tried to nap but couldn't, played games on my phone and solitaire and free cell on my computer and I couldn't wait for the day to end. Hopefully today will be better; at least I work on Mondays so if nothing else I have to fake it for 7 hours. But when I get in my car and start the drive home I feel like a curtain of sadness is falling on me.

I hope this Wellbutrin starts to work soon.

Old 06-11-2018, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Yesterday was a very bad day. I never even got out of my pajamas and instead of taking my dog for her usual evening walk I just let her out in the fenced back yard and then I felt bad because she loves her evening walk.

I watched old TV shows, stayed on C-D longer than I usually do, tried to nap but couldn't, played games on my phone and solitaire and free cell on my computer and I couldn't wait for the day to end. Hopefully today will be better; at least I work on Mondays so if nothing else I have to fake it for 7 hours. But when I get in my car and start the drive home I feel like a curtain of sadness is falling on me.

I hope this Wellbutrin starts to work soon.

You remember it can take several WEEKS to reach full benefit, right?

If you're not happy with results, are you going to reconsider Trintelix (sp)??? Or another AD?? It took me years to find the right combinations....don't you dare give up...

Old 06-11-2018, 11:50 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,319,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
For those who have never experienced depression, you could never understand the feeling that it's impossible to get out of bed due to lack of energy.

This thread is for those who do understand from experience.

Major depressive disorder is my diagnosis. I talk about mental health frequently for myself and to continue to combat lasting stigmas.

Most days, with the combo of psych drugs I take, I can live a "normal" life. On the other days, the lack of energy is in itself depressing....I put off household chores, paperwork etc. due to that feeling of inertia.

Taking a shower, cooking, doing laundry helps the energy level but at times it's hard to even do those activities. Some days I just give in and do crosswords for hours. At least I must take care of 3 cats...

How do you get yourself motivated when the feeling of low energy appears...? It's like a syringe is inserted and then all energy sucked out of you...
I often feel the same way as you do. Technically, I've had depression for roughly 25 years now (I'm currently 43), and my depression has waxed and waned in severity over the years, but I've never been depression-free since about the age of 18 or so. Also, during these last 25 years, my depression has been for the most part moderate to severe, so it's obviously been a huge problem.

The last several years, however, my depression has been very bad, to the point where some days I actually feel as if I am losing my mind or on the verge of doing something stupid. It's not a fun place to be, and I suffer immensely on a daily basis.

I am currently in therapy but my therapist doesn't seem to take my situation (or my depression) seriously. I go to great lengths to describe to her how troubled I am and how bad my depression is and how it greatly disrupts my life, yet she acts as if it's not a big deal. Her take is that I should just move forward and work on fixing that which needs to be fixed in my life (which is a lot by the way) and then my depression will just magically disappear. It bothers me that my troubles and my depression are not taken more seriously by my therapist. But the same thing happened with my previous therapist, whom I saw for about three years. He acted as if my problems were not that bad, that all I had to do was reconfigure my thinking and my thought processes and then everything would fall neatly into place.

But depression is deadly and soul-sucking at times. And it hurt me to not be taken seriously by trained professionals. Going into therapy once or even twice a week for 40 minutes at a time for what amounts to little more than a pep talk and a pat on the back is worthless (in my opinion).

I need to do something but I'm not sure what. So far, my record with seeing "therapists" has not gone very well. I feel as if I am suffocating daily.

Old 06-11-2018, 03:22 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,498,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
<snip>Going into therapy once or even twice a week for 40 minutes at a time for what amounts to little more than a pep talk and a pat on the back is worthless (in my opinion). <end snip>
I read your other thread and I do feel bad for you. What other things do you think a therapist can do for you? Have they recommended other things and you didn't like the recommendation? For example, mine told me to get out there and do things, look in the newspaper / internet for things to do that are of interest to me, which I didn't do because I was so fatigued/depressed. I got put on an anti-depressant which I'm weaning off now because I think it's the devil (for me).

Are you seeing a psychiatrist or a therapist? The psychiatrists usually prescribe drugs and the therapists try to find help in other ways. Maybe seeing both could help?

Old 06-11-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
I often feel the same way as you do. Technically, I've had depression for roughly 25 years now (I'm currently 43), and my depression has waxed and waned in severity over the years, but I've never been depression-free since about the age of 18 or so. Also, during these last 25 years, my depression has been for the most part moderate to severe, so it's obviously been a huge problem.

The last several years, however, my depression has been very bad, to the point where some days I actually feel as if I am losing my mind or on the verge of doing something stupid. It's not a fun place to be, and I suffer immensely on a daily basis.

I am currently in therapy but my therapist doesn't seem to take my situation (or my depression) seriously. I go to great lengths to describe to her how troubled I am and how bad my depression is and how it greatly disrupts my life, yet she acts as if it's not a big deal. Her take is that I should just move forward and work on fixing that which needs to be fixed in my life (which is a lot by the way) and then my depression will just magically disappear. It bothers me that my troubles and my depression are not taken more seriously by my therapist. But the same thing happened with my previous therapist, whom I saw for about three years. He acted as if my problems were not that bad, that all I had to do was reconfigure my thinking and my thought processes and then everything would fall neatly into place.

But depression is deadly and soul-sucking at times. And it hurt me to not be taken seriously by trained professionals. Going into therapy once or even twice a week for 40 minutes at a time for what amounts to little more than a pep talk and a pat on the back is worthless (in my opinion).

I need to do something but I'm not sure what. So far, my record with seeing "therapists" has not gone very well. I feel as if I am suffocating daily.

Hi Jason!

I posted on your other thread.... completely understand your predicament regarding therapists...AND depression.

If you are comfortable, tell us your med regimen...we all have years of experience dealing with depression and other mental illnesses....

NEED TO KEEP LOOKING FOR A THERAPIST YOU TRUST AND WHO YOU FEEL LISTENS...

Old 06-11-2018, 05:35 PM

I am even worse today, barely make it through the work day. After everybody left (I'm there till 6 p.m., everybody else leaves at 5 p.m.) I seriously looked in the garage in the back of our office to see if any of the cars stored in there had the keys in them. I'm sure you know why. I also checked out the rafters that's how bad it was. I figured it would be better for coworkers to find me rather than my son. What stopped me was knowing I needed to make the mortgage payment when I got home and if I didn't my son would have no place to live. I'm afraid to take the Wellbutrin again as I seem to be worse the last few days since starting it. I know it takes a while to work but why would I feel the worse I have felt in years? I even have an unusual pain in my back. Since I have fibromyalgia my body doesn't process a lot of meds the way it does for "normal" people.

I don't want to be Baker Acted again; it did no good for me the other two times I went. I took 1/2 mg of Lorazepam about 5:30 and I feel slightly better. I seriously don't want to spend the rest of my life like this. I can't wait for this DNA test to tell me what meds would be most effective for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health