Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2018, 06:36 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times

Advertisements

Okay I have been going to the gym for 2 weeks, starting my 3rd week today. I have been feeling much better and have more energy. I do 30 minutes of cardio, mostly on the treadmill and then 30 minutes of weights. This past Wednesday I did the gym, came home vacuumed AND mopped my floors, did three loads of wash and made dinner. For me that is highly unusual. And no I'm not bipolar.

I'm not going to suggest that everybody who is depressed start exercising but for me it has been working (so far). I was upset at my son last Sunday and my first inclination was to go in my room, take a nap and be depressed. After laying in bed for 20 minutes I said "the hell with this", got up, put on my workout wear and went to the gym. I lost my anger and helped my body at the same time. Exercise releases endorphins, the "feel good" hormone in our bodies. I know this probably won't last but I'm enjoying it while I can.

I know when you are feeling severely depressed it is impossible to get out of bed sometimes but wait until you're having a better day and take a walk or do something physical. It may help. It's worth giving it a try.

I go for my DNA testing on Wednesday to see what anti-depressants are best suited for me. Will share the experience when I come back. Be good to yourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 10:01 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Good for you....glad you are making that effort. Agree that exercise can be very helpful to the depressed. I need more energy, was thinking that this morning. I try to drink tea during the day, as it peps me up.

Yes let us know your results...

Old 08-12-2018, 06:43 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
My dogs are what get me out of bed every time when I fall into a funk. Two high-energy lunatics bouncing around you on the bed is a surefire way to get yourself motivated to get out of bed. But from there, I can just peter out on the couch again. That's when I reach out to a friend. I have a lot of friends that have dealt with depression and anxiety. They are wonderful resources when I'm sinking, and we support each other quite a bit. Even my friends who don't normally suffer from anxiety or depression can be helpful. A quick text exchange with a friend just to check in on them will sometimes turn my day around.

Old 08-16-2018, 05:34 AM

Good Morning all - went to this DNA testing place and was rather disappointed. First off they weighed me and I was 4 pounds heavier there than I am at home and on the scale at Publix. That instantly put me into a funk as I've been working very hard to get these last 10 pounds off. Of course I did have my clothes on and my running shoes and my contact lenses in. :-) Spoke to a nurse practitioner briefly, then the Doctor's Assistant for about an hour. I asked her about the DNA test and she said they haven't found it to be as effective as a clinician's diagnosis. This also annoyed me as I wanted the test.

Well after the hour with the D.A. she said that she also thought I had bipolar 2 which was suggested to me once before. I don't have the major highs and lows, I just have the "normal" and the depression. I explained to her that I have little to no joy in my life and she said this medication she wanted to give me would help. It's call lamictal. Well unfortunately I was on that a few years ago and it only helped for a short time so I weaned myself off of it hoping if I quit taking all these meds my own serotonin levels would go back to normal. She called in the script and I had the pharmacy give me a list of side effects and drug interactions. Besides the scary drug reactions including severe rashes and not being able to go in the sun (I live in Florida) it did have interactions with my metformin and levothyroxine. I decided I wasn't taking this med. Unfortunately, I went into this appointment feeling great, left there depressed but forced myself to spend a little time at the gym. I will actually have an anxiety attack at the thought of taking any kind of new medication because of some past issues. I remember when I was first prescribed this lamictal it took me 2 hours of going back and forth before I took it.

I later called back to tell them the main reason I went there was for the DNA test and they said I am welcome to stop in and get the swab. I'm going to continue going to the gym and hope that I will stay feeling better. I already feel better today after a long nap yesterday afternoon and a fairly decent night's sleep.

I will post about the Lorazepam withdrawal next; don't want this post to be too long.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:11 AM

I do want to say if you are severely depressed and your psychiatrist prescribes an anti-depressant by all means take it. They did wonders for me in the past. I remember when they first kicked in walking outside and hearing the beautiful song birds for the first time in years. I'm just one of those people who is terribly afraid of taking any medication whether it be antidepressants, antibiotics or pain meds.

Now for me getting off of the Lorazepam which I have been taking for 16 years, this new place has given me a script for Valium because it has a longer half life. In looking it up, this is the primary way doctors use to get people off of the Lorazepam which has been linked to memory loss and Alzheimer's. I have found myself not as sharp as I used to be when it comes to remembering things but thankfully my job doesn't really require too much memory. However if I take an infrequent phone call, I will be a little lost about where I was before the interruption.

I still have things I want to do including taking Spanish classes as I remember very little from High School and from working with Spanish speaking people. Living in Florida there are a lot of Hispanics and I feel it could help me converse and maybe even find a different job that is closer to home. While my job is nice enough since I moved from Fort Myers to Cape Coral, the trip stresses me out a lot and it will get a lot worse once the snowbirds start arriving next month. It's only 17 miles but takes anywhere from 25-50 minutes depending on the traffic and if there is a situation on the bridge.

Hope everyone is doing okay and if not please talk to us. Remember you are not alone in this journey; there are plenty of us who have walked the path and are still walking it.

Last edited by chiluvr1228; 08-16-2018 at 06:41 AM..

Old 08-16-2018, 11:46 AM

[quote=chiluvr1228;52815939]Good Morning all - went to this DNA testing place and was rather disappointed. First off they weighed me and I was 4 pounds heavier there than I am at home and on the scale at Publix. That instantly put me into a funk as I've been working very hard to get these last 10 pounds off. Of course I did have my clothes on and my running shoes and my contact lenses in. :-) Spoke to a nurse practitioner briefly, then the Doctor's Assistant for about an hour. I asked her about the DNA test and she said they haven't found it to be as effective as a clinician's diagnosis. This also annoyed me as I wanted the test.

Well after the hour with the D.A. she said that she also thought I had bipolar 2 which was suggested to me once before. I don't have the major highs and lows, I just have the "normal" and the depression. I explained to her that I have little to no joy in my life and she said this medication she wanted to give me would help. It's call lamictal. Well unfortunately I was on that a few years ago and it only helped for a short time so I weaned myself off of it hoping if I quit taking all these meds my own serotonin levels would go back to normal. She called in the script and I had the pharmacy give me a list of side effects and drug interactions. Besides the scary drug reactions including severe rashes and not being able to go in the sun (I live in Florida) it did have interactions with my metformin

------------------------------------------------
and levothyroxine.

Some dosages of THIS MED have been recalled!

Check the thread ...

cancel of some levothyroxine...under health and wellness

if you don't know if your bottle is affected.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:15 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,387,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Pretending depression is not there is a sure recipe for disaster. Like pretending a heart attack isn't there, but it may take longer.
Hello Joe,
I agree big time. Pretending it isn't there clears the way to suicide. People who say depression is not that bad hasn't been in the hospital getting their stomach pumped enough times.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Hello Joe,
I agree big time. Pretending it isn't there clears the way to suicide. People who say depression is not that bad hasn't been in the hospital getting their stomach pumped enough times.

Hi Kitty kitty

How are you today?? Meds showing some good effects??

Old 08-16-2018, 04:54 PM

[quote=greatblueheron;52819849]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Good Morning all - went to this DNA testing place and was rather disappointed. First off they weighed me and I was 4 pounds heavier there than I am at home and on the scale at Publix. That instantly put me into a funk as I've been working very hard to get these last 10 pounds off. Of course I did have my clothes on and my running shoes and my contact lenses in. :-) Spoke to a nurse practitioner briefly, then the Doctor's Assistant for about an hour. I asked her about the DNA test and she said they haven't found it to be as effective as a clinician's diagnosis. This also annoyed me as I wanted the test.

Well after the hour with the D.A. she said that she also thought I had bipolar 2 which was suggested to me once before. I don't have the major highs and lows, I just have the "normal" and the depression. I explained to her that I have little to no joy in my life and she said this medication she wanted to give me would help. It's call lamictal. Well unfortunately I was on that a few years ago and it only helped for a short time so I weaned myself off of it hoping if I quit taking all these meds my own serotonin levels would go back to normal. She called in the script and I had the pharmacy give me a list of side effects and drug interactions. Besides the scary drug reactions including severe rashes and not being able to go in the sun (I live in Florida) it did have interactions with my metformin

------------------------------------------------
and levothyroxine.

Some dosages of THIS MED have been recalled!

Check the thread ...

cancel of some levothyroxine...under health and wellness

if you don't know if your bottle is affected.

No, mine is 88 mcg so I'm okay thankfully. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:59 AM

Well I've been taking the Valium along with a small dose of the Lorazepam because just taking the Valium made me unable to sleep. However I am finding the Valium is making me feel tired all day and I can feel a depression coming on. It might be situational as things are going on in my life right now but I have an appointment with this DNA place next week. I'm going to stop by today for that DNA swab and force myself to go to the gym. What I really feel like doing is crawling back into bed and crying my eyes out but I have a hard time crying when I'm alone. Weird.

The only good thing I am noticing about the Valium is I am able to nap during the day if I feel sleepy. I am rarely ever able to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health