Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 07:49 AM

15 posts, read 65,276 times

Advertisements

Has anyone tried the Chantix prescription stop smoking pill? I was wondering if it really worked and how much, if any, weight you gained? I would like to try it but I just don't want to gain a bunch of weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 10:25 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
I had a nurse friend that tried Chantix...she thought it was helping but that was short lived. She's smoking again. It has helped many people, I have heard but I don't think it helps prevent the weight gain. Smoking is the hardest of all addictions to overcome...guess you have to be ready to quit. Good luck!

Old 08-21-2007, 06:50 PM

526 posts, read 1,246,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by widget1970 View Post
Has anyone tried the Chantix prescription stop smoking pill? I was wondering if it really worked and how much, if any, weight you gained? I would like to try it but I just don't want to gain a bunch of weight.
I used the Chantix prescription and stopped smoking for almost 3 months. Seems like everytime I try to quit some hugh crisis happens and I start again. I didn't gain very much weight, just have to watch what you eat and drink lots and lots of water.

GOOD LUCK !!!

Old 08-22-2007, 12:14 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,936,722 times
My husband used Chantix and it worked great. He had tried quitting multiple times before, only to relapse. He's already morbidly obese, so I'm not sure if he gained any weight (I can't tell). He has been smoke free for 6 months now - time will tell if he can stay away forever this time.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:45 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,763,762 times
A friend of mine used Chantix: she's six months free of nicotine and says it's the greatest. She's down to one dose a day of the Chantix and hopes very soon to be off it completely.

She had tried quitting six times before, using other methods, and always relapsed and gained weight as well.

With Chantix she's had NO lapses, and has gained possibly 3 lbs, but she thinks that's because she can actually taste her food now, which hasn't been possible for years.

She had a heavy addiction and is beyond thrilled at this result.

Hope this is of some help.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:01 AM

56 posts, read 313,044 times
My dad tried the pill to stop but he ended up smoking again! i dont think he gained any weight but i think that when anyone quits smoking, you will gain some since smoking suppresses your appetite. and without a cig, a lot of people like to have something in their mouth because of the habit.

Old 08-30-2007, 07:22 PM

16 posts, read 97,961 times
Default chantix

just took my first one. i am confident it will work.

2 of my friends doing great after 20 + years of smoking and 2-3 packs per day. down to 5 or none for over 7 days now. it has been 3 weeks for them. plus, you can keep on buying it for as long as you want to quit i think.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:24 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
I smoked a half pack for about 45 years..Had complete check up last February with a clean bill of health and barely any lung damage..I was so thankful that I knew I had to quit. I took chantix for ten days..and didn't even finish the prescription..Sooo easy..I never had a relapse, but did have times of craving for a month or so. The online help was valuable..I never even think about cigarettes any more

Old 08-30-2007, 10:32 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
Lightbulb find more helpful hints to stop! you can do it!

Good for you “blue62”.

I think another helpful tip is that when you stop smoking you should change eating habits and thus weight gain isn’t a problem. Also it’s very important to have a balanced diet to help overcome the cravings for nicotine. I know that some things like sugar will cause the desire for nicotine and that protein will help prevent the cravings. I’m sure that there are a list of hits listed with the anti-smoking links online. It would be a good idea to check them out.

I also smoked and quit without gaining more then one or two pounds. The nicotine leaves the system in 7 to 9 days, the habit can be broken with changing the normal things you do. Things like smoking after a phone call, then do something different when you finish the call. Hold a pencil in your fingers instead of the cigarette. Get more physical helps to keep any weight gain, walking after a meal etc will help.

And most of all ~ “when you stop smoking – you are no longer a smoker and you tell yourself that you don’t need or want it!” It’s like an alcoholic – don’t go back to the bottle and don’t go back to the pack! In a short time you’re over the hump! There was a period of time that I said I have to have a cigarette, I told myself if I really needed it I could have one in 20 or 30 minutes. When the time passed I no longer had the craving and didn’t smoke. Eat sunflower seeds ~ they are high in protein.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:59 PM

1 posts, read 19,473 times
Happy to say I'm on month five without a cig. I used Chantix. I thought it was great. I smoked for 20 years over a pack a day. You go on it for three months but can stay on for six if needed. I only stayed on it for three. I now feel I'm gaining weight after being off the Chantix. I don't really know why. My theory is that the Chantix helps with the weight loss too. When you read how it really works, the same effects for satifying the nicotine may keep you from overeating. Either way, it worked for me. I will focus on my weight later. Right now the most important thing is to be good to yourself until you feel you are out of the woods! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health